Sign in to follow this  
Thomasso

If you were buying a new monitor now, what would you get?

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Tomas, understood. With your Master's degree it's only a matter of time before the Ferrari is sitting on the drive and any monitor you want is sitting on your desk!

The LG will give you a great picture and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Haha, thank you! Let's hope that will be the case for me 🙂 I wish you all the best and see you in the skies.

• Upvote 1

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

For several years, I have been using a 48" Sanyo flat screen television.  It  has several HMDI ports which I can plug several computers into.  I use the remote to change channels (and computers)

If I were to replace it, I would go with a larger (i.e. 60 or 72 inch) television.  Big screen televisions just keep on getting cheaper and cheaper at Wally World.  I can stream movies from my computer to the television.  And since my eyesight isn't great, it is much easier reading things on the very big screen.

My latest computer is a top end Jetline system.

Just another option you might want to consider.

I can highly recommend a 1440p 34" Ultra wide Monitor. The extra screen area on the sides make a big difference. 

Tim Curtis

MSFS2020, i7-9900k 5.0Ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080, 48" LG OLED CX

41 minutes ago, Taver said:

I can highly recommend a 1440p 34" Ultra wide Monitor. The extra screen area on the sides make a big difference. 

It’s a personal thing of course but I tried P3D on my BenQ 27” XHD monitor and it seemed hardly any sharper than Full HD. There is an increase of 33% in vertical resolution from 1080 to 1440. The 1080Ti is capable of so much more.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 10/31/2018 at 2:56 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

But the 1080Ti is more than capable of running 3840*2160 so you should consider a UHD display. Just be aware that to get 30Hz you have to run in full-screen mode which negates secondary monitors from showing an image. I'm 90% sure that is correct.

Ray,

Would this mean that if I hit ALT-ENTER during a sim session, the screen would bug out trying to go into windowed mode?  Or would it give a delay?   (I realize P3D is always in windowed mode, but I still want to make sure I understand what you posted, above)

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

38 minutes ago, Mace said:

Ray,

Would this mean that if I hit ALT-ENTER during a sim session, the screen would bug out trying to go into windowed mode?  Or would it give a delay?   (I realize P3D is always in windowed mode, but I still want to make sure I understand what you posted, above)

Rhett,

Ignore what I said in that post. P3D has no windowed mode as such. It’s described as a borderless windowed mode. Both the border and title bar can be hidden.

Read this post and the discussion lower down on page 2 to find out more. I’m not near my PC at present so cannot check myself.

https://www.simforums.com/Forums/bigger-visuals-needed-advice-required_topic60264_page2.html#top

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 11/4/2018 at 1:42 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Rhett,

Ignore what I said in that post. P3D has no windowed mode as such. It’s described as a borderless windowed mode. Both the border and title bar can be hidden.

Read this post and the discussion lower down on page 2 to find out more. I’m not near my PC at present so cannot check myself.

https://www.simforums.com/Forums/bigger-visuals-needed-advice-required_topic60264_page2.html#top

After looking at the discussion between you and NN, the BenQ monitor you are eyeing has caught my interest as well.  For many of the same reasons as you, I think approx 32" will be an ideal size for me.

I wasn't expecting to spend $700, but, as you say, I might run 2 or 3 boxes into the future with this.

I wish I could buy one of these at one of my local stores.  I always have this fear that the Fedex guy will drop the thing during shipping.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Rhett,

Ask yourself how many times you have regretted buying a quality item costing more than you intended to spend. Then look at the cheap things you bought that disappointed you or just stopped working because they were rubbish.

My old man had an expression that has stayed with me all my life. "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten".

I've swayed between a TV and the BenQ for several months now weighing up the pros and cons for each. I wrote about it here in this forum. What is more important to you can only be decided by you and no-one else.

As for any damage during delivery I wouldn't worry. Fedex is a decent enough company and the BenQ is built like a tank.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Tomas,

Just a follow up - yeah - slapped my new monitor on my old box over the weekend - as my build isn't complete - after years with my 19" 4:3 - the 32" 6:9 LG is unbelievable - it's huge and the 2K res seems more than fine... It's far far more immersive... Going from 1600x1200 to whatever resolution 2K is (2500 something ?) - had really no impact on my GTX 970... Also went from DVI connector to Display Port... Fit and finish looks excellent - no dead pixels... Super happy with my purchase - why did I wait so long - best of luck with yours...

I can't comment yet on whether G-Sync (about $200.00 option) really brings anything to the table yet for P3D...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

58 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Going from 1600x1200 to whatever resolution 2K is (2500 something ?) - had really no impact on my GTX 970....

2560*1440 :smile:  52% more than 1600*1200 so it should appear significantly sharper. I did try 2560*1440 myself on a 27" used on another PC but found the increase (30%) insufficient over 1920*1080. That helped me in deciding 3840*2160 was best for me. 100% improvement over 1920*1080.

Glad you still found it immersive. I did too when I moved from a 24" around 5 years ago but as we know the longer you have something the smaller it appears. Probably doesn't apply to wives. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, scottb613 said:

I can't comment yet on whether G-Sync (about $200.00 option) really brings anything to the table yet for P3D...

Regards,
Scott

I ended up returning a G sync monitor that I bought specifically for P3D.  I had two major showstoppers.  If u could keep your FPS at a minimum of 34-35 it worked great.  Anything lower was horrible stuttering and flashing on the screen.  Other problem was anytime u moved the mouse cursor on screen it would kick out of G sync mode automatically and cause major stutters.  I think it was an issue with running in windowed mode.  Anyways I hope u have better luck then I did. 

Matt Wilson