Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Locked threads

Don't forget we have people that are employed by companies that are mods, for example you say anything too determental about pmdg Kyle will lock the thread, same with Poppet about LM. 

You also don't get a chance to explain anything, for example when I said Air France where arrogant  I didn't mean because they talk French on their arc channel, I never once mentioned about that.  What I meant was because they have never followed eu ops guidelines on flight deck access to non operational crew, (ie who can sit on flightdeck jump seats and crew rest areas) this was a contributing factor in both the Brazil flight, and that Montreal crash.  On Montreal they had non operational staff members (office staff and family members) on seats by the doors not supernumerary seats. And on  the Montreal crash the pilots partner was on the flight deck jumpseat. 

And there policy on augmented flight crew,  ie on the Brazil flight they had 2 regular f/o and not the recommended  eu ops / easa recommended, one senior and one regular f/o on augmented crew (ie using the bunks) 

Finally the skipper was known to be an arrogant sod didn't even bother looking at the weather on the High sig charts or the mach shear numbering on the flightplan, or at least rang ops to ask their opinion. 

So you see if the mods had asked me why Id said that you would of had the answer from a man that has done countless crm courses where air france issues  have been explained.  

At easyJet we sacked a pilot once based upon air france issues as he used to invite people into the flight deck on the airbus, take out the autopilot and put it into a tight bank to show how the protection worked on the aircraft. He was sacked for that, not for messing around with the aircraft but for letting non operational crew into the f/D with out a flightdeck pass signed off by the safety department. 

Secondly at virgin a skipper was sacked because he let a staff member on staff travel sleep in the upstairs cupboard by the stairs on the 744. The flight was completely full and the extra super numary jumpseats down stairs by the galley where occupied as they had extra cabin crew on for training.  He was sacked because it was dangerous to have someone in a cupboard for take off and landing. 

So the point I'm making is for a long time at air france they have had a culture of not following what everyone else does in eu ops guidelines but they have done 'their own thing' this is what has unfortunately cost them dearly.  Anyone who works for an airline knows this and this was the point I was making 

14ppkc-6.png

I completely agree that offensive comments against the moderators (or any AVSIM forum members) should not be tolerated, but I think that there are better ways to deal with it than shutting down threads entirely. Offending posts can be removed, offenders can be given temporary bans to make them realise that posts of this nature will not be tolerated etc.

For the record, I also agree with Geoffrey that when a thread is locked, it should be locked to everyone. Moderators should not be allowed to post further opinions on thread content when normal AVSIM members have no option to respond.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 3

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

That thread had a tentative hold on life the minute it was born.

Froogle will do anything for hits these days as he's become almost entirely devoid of imagination in his lust to earn his shilling a month from YT.

I don't care for the moderator waiting three hours after the thread was locked to "have the last word". That is an abuse of privilege. The thread was locked - That should be it. No-one should be able to comment further. Not even the police.

Having followed that discussion from the start, and somewhat neutral on the matter being discussed, I would note that AVSIM took a reasonable course in the following sense:

1. They followed Their procedures and locked the conversation; however

2. They did not delete the post and subsequent conversation (except "inappropriate comments")

3. The 3 page post already expressed most views on the topic at hand, namely whether the developer was clear or not clear in the wording regarding the purchasing of their software.

2 hours ago, chelmo said:

What particularly annoyed me when reading through that thread was that a moderator posted his opinion three hours after it had been locked with the clear intention of having the final word. That is simply abusing the position.

I am a moderator in my own Forums and many other websites, many times you don't realise the topic has been locked as you are reading it in sequence, you find something that you wish to reply about and because you are a moderator when you click the reply button the systems allows you to post the topic.

This is a system limitation, so what you describe could have been just a simple mistake without any harmful intentions.

Just saying.

Regards,
Simbol

• Upvote 1

It's an easy mistake for a moderator to make as it's not obvious that a thread is locked until you jump right to the last page, and even then it isn't as obvious as you can still type in etc.. I don't believe the moderator was intentionally trying to get their last word in unfairly as it's a fairly easy thing to do without realising. Why everything has to be a big conspiracy is beyond me, people make mistakes and do things unintentionally.

As for why the thread was locked, it had basically just turned into "I am right and you're an idiot" festival. Yes, I'm also guilty and I should have kept my opinion to myself because the topic under discussion was something I was loosely involved in. However, some folk simply can't voice their own opinion without throwing insults and personal remarks and I feel pretty sorry for them.

Cheers

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonywob said:

It's an easy mistake for a moderator to make as it's not obvious that a thread is locked until you jump right to the last page, and even then it isn't as obvious as you can still type in etc.. I don't believe the moderator was intentionally trying to get their last word in unfairly as it's a fairly easy thing to do without realising. Why everything has to be a big conspiracy is beyond me, people make mistakes and do things unintentionally.

As for why the thread was locked, it had basically just turned into "I am right and you're an word not allowed" festival. Yes, I'm also guilty and I should have kept my opinion to myself because the topic under discussion was something I was loosely involved in. However, some folk simply can't voice their own opinion without throwing insults and personal remarks and I feel pretty sorry for them.

Cheers

Umm, can't remember the last time I replied to a thread without looking at the last page....

Perhaps the moderator under discussion could clarify what his intentions were.

1 minute ago, ganter said:

Umm, can't remember the last time I replied to a thread without looking at the last page....

It's pretty easy to do. I could have the topic open in another browser tab for a few hours, the thread is locked, and then I jump back to the tab later in the day and type in a reply to a comment I'm reading unaware the thread is locked. If you have moderator rights, it will post, even though the thread is locked. 

You can quite easily reply to a comment on page 2, without jumping to page 3. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

It's pretty easy to do. I could have the topic open in another browser tab for a few hours, the thread is locked, and then I jump back to the tab later in the day and type in a reply to a comment I'm reading unaware the thread is locked. If you have moderator rights, it will post, even though the thread is locked. 

Exactly, I explained this already.. what else we can say?

Regards,
S.

7 hours ago, tonywob said:

I see that. Besides, it's a moot point now isn't it?

The thread was based on 'soft ground' shall we say, from the start and I'm not surprised or alarmed that it was closed. 

It's a rather good example of Avsim at its best in fact. Someone talks rubbish somewhere on YT, someone threads it here. A few people start debating, a couple go hysterical, cleaners come in and tidy up by closing. Nothing to see here!

Carry on Mods - you have my vote of confidence.

15 hours ago, pracines said:

Really, I cant believe there could even be a debate about the plain and clear difference between the words 'recommended and required', but that is what this all boils down to, and that is why the topic had to go south. 🤢🤮

Truth does not really seem to matter anymore. No problem, this very thing was predicted long ago. 😌  

I wonder what will be next? The letter A is not really the letter A anymore?🤯

Well it depends on what your definition of "is" is. 🤦‍♂️

Chris

11 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Well it depends on what your definition of "is" is. 🤦‍♂️

I understand your overall point but don't understand the symbols you've posted but I think this thread has run it's course.

Anything else is just labouring the point that was posted by the OP and that's a done deal so let's move on.

4 minutes ago, ganter said:

I understand your overall point but don't understand the symbols you've posted but I think this thread has run it's course.

Anything else is just labouring the point that was posted by the OP and that's a done deal so let's move on.

Sorry, it was an attempt at comedy using a very U.S. centric reference to something said by former President Bill Clinton and the symbol is called "facepalm". I'll let you look that one up for typical uses.

.....I had my browser with the response open for a while and didn't realize the thread had moved on.

(see what I did there)

Chris