Sign in to follow this  
crippy1

P3Dv4 aircraft recommendations

Slighty OT but usually you will see heavies like 777s etc. on short hops only during the supervision phase after the type rating.

Since pilots need a certain number of landings during this time, you can achieve this number 'slightly' earlier when flying 1hr legs instead of 10hr legs.

@arwasairl That's a strange note about autothrust/autothrottle since you basically need to move the thrustlevers (more or less constantly) only for the last few minutes during a flight.

17 hours ago, FDEdev said:

That's a strange note about autothrust/autothrottle since you basically need to move the thrustlevers (more or less constantly) only for the last few minutes during a flight.

I only do really short flights with planes without A/T. The only planes I have that doesn't have an A/T system is a few A2A planes, the Aerosoft CRJ, and the JustFlight PA-28.

With planes like the PA-28 and A2A, I just do a short flight, maybe from San Jose to San Fransisco. But a CRJ might be overkill for that type of route. (Since it only takes  about 3 to 7 minutes in the A2A.) 

So, that's why I'm constantly controlling throttle. The CRJ has a very "primitive" form of A/T. 

I don't understand that one.

7 hours ago, arwasairl said:

So, that's why I'm constantly controlling throttle. The CRJ has a very "primitive" form of A/T. 

If you are constantly moving your throttle during a 3-7min flight you aren't using the AP either I assume. So your right must get tired as well.

What is a 'primitive' form of A/T? And what do all the pilots IRL do when flying many hours without A/T?

For SJC-SFO and no A/T or A/P, the Justflight Cessna 152. You can add the GTN650 to it but that is no fun is it...

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

11 hours ago, arwasairl said:

I only do really short flights with planes without A/T. The only planes I have that doesn't have an A/T system is a few A2A planes, the Aerosoft CRJ, and the JustFlight PA-28.

With planes like the PA-28 and A2A, I just do a short flight, maybe from San Jose to San Fransisco. But a CRJ might be overkill for that type of route. (Since it only takes  about 3 to 7 minutes in the A2A.) 

Aaron,

Sounds like you may not be using elevator trim enough? Does that seem remotely possible?

Edited by Henry Street

12 hours ago, Henry Street said:

Sounds like you may not be using elevator trim enough? Does that seem remotely possible?

Yes. I'm so used to 737s and A320s that trim the plane automanically.

How about the F1 King Air B200? Commonly used in Charter, Corporate and Medevac roles worldwide.

DB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arwasairl said:

Yes. I'm so used to 737s and A320s that trim the plane automanically.

To very much overgeneralize how I fly GA and MIL aircraft:

1) After takeoff, set climb power (N1, manifold, torque, whatever) by the book (POH, NATOPS, AFM)

2) Set elevator trim to maintain climb airspeed by the book

3) At altitude, set cruise power by the book

4) Set elevator trim to maintain level. You may have to adjust until the aircraft reaches cruise speed.

Pretty much at that point you should only have to adjust heading or pitch a little. I rarely use autopilot for most of my flights. They are either short (<1.5 hours) or involve lots of maneuvering.

Hope this helps smooth things out for you.

PS here is a handy spreadsheet that includes cruise speed and climb rates (not airspeed) for many aircraft:

https://engineering.purdue.edu/AAECourses/Raisbeck/references/database.xls

Edited by Henry Street

Thinking outside the box a bit, you could consider the MilViz DHC-2 Beaver, it has wheels and floats and in conjunction with ORBX Pacific Northwest and a few of their beautiful airports for that region, you could have a blast flying around mountains and landing at some really cool, remote, airports.

Mark

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arwasairl said:

I'm so used to 737s and A320s that trim the plane automanically.

The 737 doesn't have autotrim.

Edited by FDEdev

16 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

The 737 doesn't have autotrim.

Looks like I know a lot about my 737 😅😅😅😅😅😅

Heck I don't even know how to create a DME arc. 
(it's not that i'm unable it's just i'm lazy 😛

Edited by arwasairl

On 10/31/2018 at 9:11 PM, arwasairl said:

Yes I agree. The CRJ is a fantastic plane. The only let down is my left arm got tired of manually controlling throttle.

I so agree with you... its so annoying uhh.

If you're not in a hurry to get somewhere, you can't go wrong with the Aerosoft Antonov AN-2:

HZXgkxE.png

bUBRsMr.png

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

On 10/31/2018 at 10:52 AM, crippy1 said:

I am looking for a high quality highly realistic charter airplane to fly almost exclusively at night (after work).

I am looking for planes close to A2A quality and available for P3Dv4.

Planes can be multi engine, single engine, turbo prop, jet, etc.

Night cockpit lighting and general lighting is a weighing factor too.

Most flights will be under 1-2 hours max.

Thank you very much, I am looking forward to the responses!

I've recently been flying a modified Milviz 310R as a trainer and it's the nicest GA plane I have ever seen to date, IMHO it's crazy over torqued but with the modification I made it's an absolute relaxing gem to fly at night.

Very High Quality check.

Highly realistic flight dynamics triple check.

Realistic Bendix KAP-140 autopilot check

On par and/or even higher than A2A, check.

Dual Piston, check

Rality XP GNS and GTN750 ready check.

Built and included REX/Milviz WX advantage Radar, check.

Night Cockpit with Real Light and True Glass check

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD