Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Anyone around playing War Thunder ?

Just asking, because I'm hooked on it 🙂

Who would say ?

I play it in SIM mode / Battles only, since the other two modes, Arcade and Realistic are both too arcadish for me, but Heck! in SIM mode WT is one of a kind!

What a THRILL!!!

And, BTW, Happy Halloween for ya all !!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

52 minutes ago, Delta111 said:

I prefer DCS World....but not good enough yet to join the fray....

Been there, and IL-2 Great Battles too ( that one I still use, rarely though since I started playing WT )

There was this Urban Myth that WT is purely arcade … Nonsense !  It actually has some really great features I would like to have found in either DCS or IL-2 GB...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

3 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Been there, and IL-2 Great Battles too ( that one I still use, rarely though since I started playing WT )

There was this Urban Myth that WT is purely arcade … Nonsense !  It actually has some really great features I would like to have found in either DCS or IL-2 GB...

I've been saying it for years and even posting the occasional video. Maybe you will get better traction! 🛩️

PS: I always knew what you were really searching for all this time was people to shoot down........ 😋

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Very true Devon!

And I acknowledge you having told me, more than once, I should try it...

I decided to give it a try two weeks ago, partly because I am disappointed with the development of both DCS and IL-2 ( more with DCS ) and even in IL-2 I started finding it a bit boring to play. 

I started browsing their forums, watching youtubes, and finally pushed it and installed, trying to show myself it would be a total waste of time … Well, after a couple of days I was already fallen for it :-)

The biggest problem for me is understanding and getting accustomed to the game interface, the concepts of "Researching", Criating a Line-up, a crew, dealing with their Golden Eagles and Silver Dragons, etc... Still all a bit diffuse to me, and sometimes I opt for stuff that I really don't understand, but, playing in SIM mode is a true THRILL! And it's not only the scenery, the weather, the overall graphics and their astounding performance. It's also the way the various ( wow !!! So Many !!! ) aircraft behave, the way they reproduce in such an interesting / plausible way their real counterparts ( if we look at their official specifications ).

Then there are many details regarding damage model, G effects, and even the aerodynamics, that attract me more than in either DCS or IL-2.

Been playing it 100% in the last few days... And it appears to be the kind that stays for quite a while in my "erasable" SSD :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

The thing about War thunder is that in my opinion, they went about it in a good way, which is that they created something that the masses wanted to play, then used the resulting bagfuls of money to continue on and also create something far more detailed, essentially appealing to both the arcade user and those interested in a more simlike experience.

That interface does need a phd, though.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

War Thunder in VR is pretty impressive but I don't like the pay to win concept. For me paying for an arcadey plane in War Thunder is different than paying for add-on in X-Plane 11. I would rather pay for the base game than the 'free to play' model. For example from what I recall you have to wait longer to rejoin matches once you have been killed unless pay.

3 hours ago, steve310002 said:

War Thunder in VR is pretty impressive but I don't like the pay to win concept. For me paying for an arcadey plane in War Thunder is different than paying for add-on in X-Plane 11. I would rather pay for the base game than the 'free to play' model. For example from what I recall you have to wait longer to rejoin matches once you have been killed unless pay.

I'm still trying to learn that complexity, which, unfortunately, is not directly connected to gaining flight skills IRL, but it's a game, and I can play it without having payd more than what I payd to get the P51d and Fw190D13, because these are extraordinary aircraft.

But I plan to invest more in WT, and keep playing it in SIM mode, if not for other reasons at least because it's giving me a great time, being to the moment the most successful of the only 3 that, in my "short" simmer life have given me such joy ( see my sig .. and I just hope it doesn't follow the MS FLIGHT fate... and puts me into another crazy cycle of trying to use and enjoy msfs/xp/psx/elite 🙂 ).

I keep following IL-2 Great Battles too, and continue to praise their work, but honestly, so far nor IL-2 GB nor DCS come anywhere near to the joy of playing WT in SIM mode, as much as it may be difficult for a guy like me to admit it 🙂

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

I keep following IL-2 Great Battles too, and continue to praise their work, but honestly, so far nor IL-2 GB nor DCS come anywhere near to the joy of playing WT in SIM mode, as much as it may be difficult for a guy like me to admit it 🙂

And this is the most important. That you enjoy it!!

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 9:04 AM, steve310002 said:

This is untrue.

War Thunder is not a pay to win game. Paying doesn't give you anything that gives you an edge over the enemy, since every plane can be unlocked as a free user. Paying only makes you save the most valuable commodity you have: time.
Once your plane is killed, after few free repairs you get with the new plane, you will still be able to repair it by spending Silvers, which is the in game commodity everybody simply earns by playing and is linked to your performance in game, not your wallet.

• Like 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

On 11/1/2018 at 2:29 AM, jcomm said:

Just asking, because I'm hooked on it 🙂

Who would say ?

I play it in SIM mode / Battles only, since the other two modes, Arcade and Realistic are both too arcadish for me, but Heck! in SIM mode WT is one of a kind!

What a THRILL!!!

And, BTW, Happy Halloween for ya all !!!

Even though I am not really into shoot 'em ups, the idea of a free sim was too good to pass up.  While I find the flight dynamics simplistic, the graphics are very good, and very smooth for an online game.  I am sure I will experiment some more with it when I get tired of simming with no action around.  I will try the ground based aspects of it too.  Only thing I do not like is when it auto updates, it takes a long time to download the update and wait before playing the sim.  I tried DCS but it takes up way too much space on my hard drive, which is low on space given my P3D and Xplane photoreal scenery and aircraft add-ons.

John

Yes Cactus, DCS is huge these days. 

The closest I can now find to WT is IL-2 Great Battles, but it's getting dusty in my SSD waiting for the mood to start it. It's a great simulator too, but honestly, I find the various aspects of WT, specially played in Sim mode, by far more enjoyable.

And, just as you, shoot'em up sims were far from my list before 2012, when seriously heart by the failure of MS FLIGHT I started shooting in every direction :-)  

The approach, first to DCS, then to IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad, with some time also dedicated to Rise of Flight ( not much I must confess ) and IL-2 CloD, was motivated in the very first place by my disappointment with the flight dynamics and overall physics modelling in the civil flightsims. 

Truth is that I actually do not find the Flight Dynamics I WT ( in Sim mode ) arcadish - quite on the contrary. And there actually aspects I find better modelled in it than in either DCS or IL2.

My biggest problem so far is the complex interface - I mean the strange concepts ( for me ) of lineups, tiers, having to deal with crews, and those many intricacies of scoring, golden eagles and silver lions and the like.. I am still a bit lost on that but heck, each mission I play is adding to the enthusiasm, and really rewarding.

Main Simulation Rig:

14 minutes ago, jcomm said:

My biggest problem so far is the complex interface - I mean the strange concepts ( for me ) of lineups, tiers, having to deal with crews, and those many intricacies of scoring, golden eagles and silver lions and the like.. I am still a bit lost on that but heck, each mission I play is adding to the enthusiasm, and really rewarding.

In a certain sense it's a different type of immersion: Getting you to invest emotionally in the fate of your craft and crew.......

Devons rig