Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Build a Better Button Box - Ignition Controls ?

Thanks all for the information above and recommendations - just ordered a DSD Flight Series - FLT1
link

15 hours ago, julian46 said:

Hi Scott - did you ever get the Ignition button box or the DSD FLT1/2 ? - do the rotary encoders work (using Linda or Spad or FSUIPC) for "HDG, CRS, SPD, ALT " etc ?

thanks - Julian
(interested in same)

Hi Julian,

I did buy the box and I did get the encoders to work - kind of... Using FSUIPC they are just different repetitive button presses dependent on the direction of rotation. So I do use them for setting things like AP (ALT VS HDG) - the problem is that you need both a [Fine] and [Course] adjustment to work well - so I needed to dedicate two separate rotary encoders for each function...

I also broached the subject with Peter's son regarding FSUIPC - as all that we would need is for FSUIPC to have a [Shift] function able to be assigned to a button - allowing each button, switch, encoder to have two states - [Normal] and [Shifted]… That way I could use (1) encoder per function and use the [Shift] button to toggle between [Course] and [Fine] adjustments... The [Shift] button could prove very useful by effectively doubling the number of functions we could assign in general... Peter's son stated he would look into it - but I haven't heard anything further and that was a while back...

I'm unfamiliar with both SPAD and LINDA - so I'm not very helpful with that... It seems this should be able to be handled in some fashion - it's not rocket science... My CH Joysticks had proprietary software that allowed for a [Normal] and [Shifted] button press...

The button box itself [posted above] is of very high quality...

Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott 

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Thanks Scott for the update - thats a great idea about a shift key for FSUIPC - Linda has that feature - Julian

6 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Julian,

I did buy the box and I did get the encoders to work - kind of... Using FSUIPC they are just different repetitive button presses dependent on the direction of rotation. So I do use them for setting things like AP (ALT VS HDG) - the problem is that you need both a [Fine] and [Course] adjustment to work well - so I needed to dedicate two separate rotary encoders for each function...

I also broached the subject with Peter's son regarding FSUIPC - as all that we would need is for FSUIPC to have a [Shift] function able to be assigned to a button - allowing each button, switch, encoder to have two states - [Normal] and [Shifted]… That way I could use (1) encoder per function and use the [Shift] button to toggle between [Course] and [Fine] adjustments... The [Shift] button could prove very useful by effectively doubling the number of functions we could assign in general... Peter's son stated he would look into it - but I haven't heard anything further and that was a while back...

I'm unfamiliar with both SPAD and LINDA - so I'm not very helpful with that... It seems this should be able to be handled in some fashion - it's not rocket science... My CH Joysticks had proprietary software that allowed for a [Normal] and [Shifted] button press...

The button box itself [posted above] is of very high quality...

Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott 

For the reasons you state, a two-way momentary switch actually works better for hdg, alt, spd etc in most settings.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."