Sign in to follow this  
bnm

CAPTAINSIM woes

Hi, 

I was just wondering if anyone else is fed up with CAPTAIN SIM .

I am because of their new 757.

The way they sell it to you where you have to buy the pw 757 base pack for 75 dollars!!!!!

THAT IS EXPENSIVE FOR JUST A BASE PACK WITH PW ENGINES THAT NOBODY REALLY CARES FOR.

I know many people wanted the base pack to have the rr engines.

THE RR UPGRADE ALONE IS 29 DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!

I know many people are going to have a hard time affording that.

That is absolutely ridiculous!

And the fact that there is still the 757f and -300 means that for all the variants it will cost you a pretty penny!!!

They say they are going to make the 767 for p3dv4 so I hope they do not sell it like they are for the 757.

Sorry, just needed to blow off some steam 🙂

Edited by bnm
  • Like 1

If nobody is going to buy it that way, then I am sure they will make a different decision for the 767. But if enough people are buying it anyway, why shouldn't they do it again, they are a business after all. Vote with your wallet, I did. There are ton of other planes out there.

• Like 2

Georgian Virtual Airports (UGMS Mestia / UGGT Telavi / UGAM Ambrolauri)

3 hours ago, bnm said:

I was just wondering if anyone else is fed up with CAPTAIN SIM

Well... a lot of people have been fed up with Captain Sim for at least 10 years that I know of, but not for the reason you are.  Let me be clear, I'm anything but a fan of Captain Sim, but...

If I don't like a product, it's price, or package prices, I don't buy it.  Complaining about it just doesn't seem warranted to me.

I used to own a Ford Expedition and of the 14 or so vehicles I have owned it was the very best.  I was at the Ford Dealership the other day (my F-150 had some scheduled service) and as my truck was being serviced I walked the new vehicle area and noticed that new Ford Expeditions were selling for $76,000.  That's well over half the price of a starter home in my area!  Even though I would never pay that price (or anything near it) for another Expedition, I didn't take to the Internet to complain about it, I simply don't buy it. Plenty of other people will likely purchase the vehicle for that price, and if they don't then Ford will lower their prices.

Best wishes.

Edited by DaveCT2003
  • Like 3

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I'm not necessarily complaining, just wondering when other people thought.

8 minutes ago, bnm said:

I'm not necessarily complaining, just wondering when other people thought.

Of course you're complaining! 😄

I have to agree with Dave... don't like it, don't buy it. But I have my own rant, perhaps more justified because they already have my money... the glacial pace of upgrading their fleet to 64 bit. But you dont see me blubbering about it on the forum... oh wait, doh... 😁

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

i don't think it's fair to point the finger at CS; if anyone been paying attention, the price for P3D aircraft have gone up across the board...as others have pointed out, we've been foolish enough to pay for them...

Matt King

About every hobby is expensive... golf, tennis, computer gaming, sports cards, racing, and collecting add-ons to games can surely be expensive (just bought two boxes of Titleist golf balls today for $80. They could have been more if I decided to get the most expensive).  I think some of the developers in this hobby deserve a good paycheck once in a while.  Keeps them active and many flight simmers remain in the hobby because of their respective expertise.  I have the CS757 and the RR expansion and enjoy it a lot.  Is it worth all the money I paid?  Well, I'm still enjoying it and see they continue to fix bugs others have found which is good.  I like their Sim Ops as it has everything at your fingertips.  The CS757 works great for me and I continue to enjoy using it on flights once in a while.  I have the QW787 and all of the PMDG aircraft so it is tough to determine the aircraft I will use for a flight.  If you want a 757 in your hangar, IMHO this one is a great addition. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yes, hobbies can be very expensive, and this has been true for the last several millennia. That argument comes out every time people complain here about the high price of a given addon.

Does that actually answer the question of why pricing for some (not all!) flightsim addon software has literally doubled in the last 10 years?

To put this another way: Jim, you’re right that golf is an expensive hobby. If, say, the cost of golf equipment had stayed virtually constant for decades and then suddenly spiked in the last few years, it would probably be fair to ask why that happened, beyond saying “golf is an expensive hobby.” It always was; but the question is what changed.

I have yet to see an articulation of what is driving increasing (in some cases) addon pricing beyond “it’s what the market will bear.” That’s clearly true, but is there anything more than that going on?

James

Edited by honanhal
  • Upvote 1

I can go to the pub and easily spend over $75 over a few hours after work on a Friday Night with friends, or I could buy a Captain Sim 757 and spend countless hours of entertainment over the next few months until I get bored of it. Which one of these is better entertainment value for your dollars?

Renting a Cessna 150 these days is around $250/hr now, or a Captain Sim 757 is $75 dollars flat rate as many hours as you like, pretty good value if you ask me 😎

Matthew Kane

I don't have a problem with the base package 75 dollar pricing, it's the 20 dollars just for an engine upgrade.

It really isn't much different from 2011 when they were releasing for FSX. They always did base packs and model or engine upgrades but the pricing is higher today as everyone else is too, so that is keeping with current market trends. 

I haven't got the latest 757 but in my opinion I would rather the 727 and first generation 737 for P3D as I have more fun handling those aircraft with autopilot off and trying to fly SIDs and STARs by hand. I would spend that $75 on PMDG stuff before I would buy a CS 757 or 767 simply because the systems in PMDG are far more superior. That said eventually the CS757 will inevitably go down or end up on sale one day and that may trigger a purchase from me. But I would buy a 727 for P3D full price in a second if they ever did that one, I Love That Plane 😎

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

We all like to dig-up and fly old fossil aircraft from time to time, so why beef about having to pay that much for the latest dinosaur?   

I agree with you that their prices are too high.  If I recall their prices from 5 or so years ago correctly, they've nearly doubled the price of their products.  I had their 757s and 767s for FSX and they were pretty good aircraft, albeit performance hogs.  I wonder if these new P3Dv4 planes are really worth 50-100% more than the previous versions? 

Accounting for inflation over the past 5 years, flightsim addons prices should have only increased about 10-15%, but anyone can see that many of them have increased much more than that. 

The way I always bought Captainsim stuff was to wait for their sales where you can get 50% discounts.

I need a 767 for P3Dv4, but I will absolutely not pay the prices they are currently asking for their 767 when it's released.  I'll just use freeware ones until they either offer a big discount or a competitor offers one at a lower price.

I am disappointed at many developers of late who are out to make as much money as they can.  I understand wanting to be compensated for your work, but there is a point at which the price you're asking for that work is simply too high.  We each have to judge whether a single flightsim addon aircraft is worth that price.  It is a subjective matter, and you will get responses from some folks here that $80, $100, or even $200 is a perfectly reasonable price for a really good addon plane.

As long as there are folks willing to pay these high prices the developers will never reduce them and will probably keep increasing them until demand drops off and then they'll bring them back to a price point where their sales are acceptable.  You will get responses from some folks here which are critical of you for complaining or questioning the pricing of addons.  Please don't worry about them.

I thank you for expressing your feelings on this matter here.  If more people do this then perhaps some developers will realize that if they lower their prices a bit then they will actually sell more of their products and end up making more money in the long run.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

5 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Well... a lot of people have been fed up with Captain Sim for at least 10 years that I know of, but not for the reason you are.  Let me be clear, I'm anything but a fan of Captain Sim, but...

If I don't like a product, it's price, or package prices, I don't buy it.  Complaining about it just doesn't seem warranted to me.

I used to own a Ford Expedition and of the 14 or so vehicles I have owned it was the very best.  I was at the Ford Dealership the other day (my F-150 had some scheduled service) and as my truck was being serviced I walked the new vehicle area and noticed that new Ford Expeditions were selling for $76,000.  That's well over half the price of a starter home in my area!  Even though I would never pay that price (or anything near it) for another Expedition, I didn't take to the Internet to complain about it, I simply don't buy it. Plenty of other people will likely purchase the vehicle for that price, and if they don't then Ford will lower their prices.

Best wishes.

This is why they advertise that, while supplies last, the new Expedition is ONLY $375 per month! That sounds cheap!  I can afford that! Why stop at one, for that price. Let's buy two!! 

12 hours ago, dave2013 said:

I thank you for expressing your feelings on this matter here.  If more people do this then perhaps some developers will realize that if they lower their prices a bit then they will actually sell more of their products and end up making more money in the long run.

Thank you very much for your thoughts!