So im planning to get these for a mid range build:

Ryzen 5 2600x @3.6ghz

GTX1060 6GB

8GB 2666mhz RAM

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro

250GB Samsung Evo

600W PSU

Techware Vega F1

What FPS range will i be looking at? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks simmers!

Malcolm,

In an attempt to provide you with the very best help, I need to start with an attempt to push you to P3DV4.3. The cost for building another system will increase by roughly 20% over the system above, and the extra waiting time will be warranted and you'll REALLY appreciate having done so my friend.

I left AMD processors a very long time ago and I'm still happy that I did.  For flight sim, I believe that INTEL processors are the only way to go. Besides, AMD's fooling their customers not too long about claiming that they were 8 cores instead of 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores (which couldn't be disables by the way) was enough for me to never look at AMD processors ever again.  I don't know how the law suits did against AMD for doing this, but I hope they suceed.

Instead of building a system for P3DV3, I would build a system with a processor capable of achieving a minimum of 4.3GHz (I run an old i7-4770K at 4.3GHz, though my processor will happily run at 4.5GHz) and an NVIDIA 1070 minimum (1080 or 1080TI if you can ever swing that).

Building a quality system that can run as described above should serve you VERY well for at least 5 years in our hobby.  I purchased my 4770K system about 5 years ago and it's still running strong even though I've pushed it hard every day.

Here are my recommendations:

INTEL processor capable of sustaining 4.3 to 4.5 GHz.

16GB RAM (minimum)

NVIDIA 1070 (minimum), or 1080/1080TI.  I would recommend the newer processors, but I'm sensing that cost is an issue right now and the prices of the 1070/1080 should start to drop soon.

Corasir H110 CPU Water Cooler.  Self contained unit, low cost, and I can't say enough good things about them.

Building your own system is fairly easy, and will not only save you a lot of money and/or allow you to include higher quality parts.

I hope the above information proves helpful to you.

My very best wishes to you my friend.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I'd be swapping the cpu for an 8600k personally.

• Upvote 1

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

5 hours ago, Malcolm003 said:

GTX1060 6GB

Depends on the screen resolution you're planning to use. If 1920x1080, then a GTX 1060 should easily be good enough.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hmmm I am tight on the budget side though, would any i5 processors do the trick? I am looking at minimum 30fps. I will take your advice one upgrading to P3D v4. But because of budget I may* end up with P3D v3. Any suggestions on which part i MUST* change in order to achive decent fps?

I have noted your suggestions and will be considering them.

3 hours ago, Malcolm003 said:

Any suggestions on which part i MUST* change in order to achive decent fps?

I have noted your suggestions and will be considering them.

You have sort of answered your own question there.  Fastest i5 you can afford instead of the AMD and you are halfway there.  Just a quick look, I can find the 8600k for £248, where the 2600x is £200.  There is also the i3 8350K at nearly £190, so the 8600K is a no brainer really

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

As others have said, Intel typically works out better for FSX/P3D because it's very dependent on single core performance and clock speed but you will need at least an i5 (ideally an unlocked K one you can overclock, if you feel confident). The GTX1060 is not a bad card but if budget allows at GTX970/980 used (or a GTX1070 new) would pay dividends with P3D, whatever card you get ensure it has at least 3GB. 8GB RAM is fine for now, but leave some spare slots so you can up it up 16 GB later, RAM prices were a bit silly last time I looked so the money you save on that can go on graphics or processor.

I presume the 250GB Evo drive will be joined by some HDDs? I don't think you'll be able to run everything off a single 250GB drive, my P3D install is sat on a 7200 rpm HDD because of the installation size.

You should go straight to P3Dv4, whatever system you get v4 is not going to run any worse (and might run better) than v3. The only cost implication is if you have to repurchase or upgrade some of your addon aircraft.

If you're on a tight budget I'd seriously consider looking at a used system, perhaps a powerful ex-office workstation running one of the older top-end i5s or an i7 that you can just drop an upgraded power supply and graphics card in to. Don't cheap out on the PSU, go with a decent name!

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Thank you all. I will be going for the 8600k as my final decision. Few questions as im curious: Why will the 8600k run faster as compared to the r5 2600x? And will P3D v3 give me more frame rates than v4?

Once again thank you all very much to help me make up my mind.

If you can swing it, you may want to seriously go with P3D v. 4 due to it being a 64 bit platform. From what I read, the 64 bit environment has pretty much eliminated the dreaded "OOM's" that one experiences in 32 bit flightsims. Also, it may only be a matter of time that many payware developers will no longer be supporting 32 bit and if they do, it may only be FSX. I do not know if you can experience better FPS with P3D v. 4. I am sure someone else can comment on that.

I still use P3D v. 3.4xx  and for now I am happy with it. However, in the near future I will most likely be moving over to a 64 bit flightsim.

Currently, I am using a nearly 2 yr. old Jetline built computer-- Intel 6700, 16 GB of ram. a GTX 1070 video card,  800 watt psu, 500 GB SSD & 1 TB HD.& a DVD drive. It works well for me.