Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

The RTX 2080Ti changed my P3D experience

Hi,

Although not that old, I have replaced my GTX1080 with an EVGA RTX 2080Ti.
I first thought of upgrading the system to an i9 platform but it was too pricey so I've decided to replace the GPU instead.
What a wise decision!
I've upgraded GPU's for around 25 years since the first FS, generally once every 2 generations of chips.
It's every time an improvement for sure, compared with the previous one.
But I don't remember such a gap in performances and such a good surprise after upgrading.

I can finally see P3D V4 in all its glory with dynamic reflection at High, shadows quality at High, full autogen, with 8MSAA, Ultra texture resolution @4096x4096 etc... and still have a good amount of air/ground/roads /sea traffic.... flying the FSLabs Bus.

The card is running @ 60°C max which is very correct and even surprising. (but it is very noisy compared with the previous one)
No need for now to upgrade my good old i6700 (at a solid 4.8Ghz speed), my old GSkill 2933 MHz RAM with low latency and the reliable Asus Maximus VIII mobo.
Anyway, I am broke now! 🙂
I am fine with 19-30 fps in all situations, (fps are internally limited to 30) on my 44" 4K monitor.

Never thought P3D was so GPU dependent.

Edited by David Roch

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Thanks for the insight David.  I have a 1080 GTX right now and have been considering doing something similar.  I have a 6850K at 4.2 GHz (so I could use a little boost there as well possibly).  I use if with an HTC Vive and plan on getting the Vive Pro if there is a sale during the holidays.  Good to know I wont be disappointed if I do pull the trigger.

My pleasure Brett and no, you won't be disappointed for sure.
Just don't tell the price you paid to your wife if you jump in!

😉

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

It likely depends on how much GPU intensive work you throw at your system...

You said that you increased your settings and now you can enjoy the effects...

That is it in a nutshell, I would think  :wink:

With a less powerful system, you likely would dial down your settings a bit, and still have a great time flying  :cool:

Bert

Normal intensive work: AS, GSX, Ezca, Orbx textures, regions, airports and LC, additional mesh, UT Live, REX SF, with a ton of payware or freeware sceneries, flying PMDG aircrafts and FS Labs Airbus.

With the GTX 1080 I was getting average 11-30 fps where today I've never flown bellow 19 fps with higher graphic settings.
For whatever reason colors are more vivid (same settings), the autogen pops-up much faster in the distance and the overall feeling I have is smoothness, except with long pauses which remain and are CPU/P3D coding dependent.

So, that is it in a nutshell 🙂

Best regards,
David Roch

Thanks for the info David, my setup is similiar to yours except I am still on a 980ti. Does decent with moderate settings, but heavy clouds will bring on the stutters unfortunately. 

Now, how to convince my wife?.....

7 minutes ago, zsolt23 said:

Thanks for the info David, my setup is similiar to yours except I am still on a 980ti. Does decent with moderate settings, but heavy clouds will bring on the stutters unfortunately. 

Now, how to convince my wife?.....

Im still using my 980ti and its great. Im waiting for the 1180 or 1280

21 minutes ago, David Roch said:

Normal intensive work: AS, GSX, Ezca, Orbx textures, regions, airports and LC, additional mesh, UT Live, REX SF, with a ton of payware or freeware sceneries, flying PMDG aircrafts and FS Labs Airbus.

With the GTX 1080 I was getting average 11-30 fps where today I've never flown bellow 19 fps with higher graphic settings.
For whatever reason colors are more vivid (same settings), the autogen pops-up much faster in the distance and the overall feeling I have is smoothness, except with long pauses which remain and are CPU/P3D coding dependent.

So, that is it in a nutshell 🙂

Is something wrong with your system? Even on my 4790k and 1080 I never went below 25 FPS. With my 8700k I get mad if it goes below 40 lol

• Like 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Thanks David, are you using Nvidia Inspector or are all of your card settings configured via the P3d control panel? I can report about the same FPS on my rig with the new 2080TI installed. 19+ with Seattle City and Airport X, FLSABS A320, rex sky force 3d, ultimate traffic live and GSX. I will certainly grab another Zotac AMP 2080TI in the future with Nvlink but I am going to let the market calm down and wait for the prices to drop. 

Edited by AlphaInfinity

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

23 hours ago, z06z33 said:

Is something wrong with your system? Even on my 4790k and 1080 I never went below 25 FPS. With my 8700k I get mad if it goes below 40 lol

Nothing wrong at all on my rig Dave.
I could also reach >50 FPS airborne with a blue nice sky if I unlock the FPS.
But I am talking of average frames in ALL situations and I don't believe your system will allow 25 FPS flying in Socal or over London or Seattle, sorry.
Never with the FS Labs Bus, everything maxed out, except for the Water settings and traffic.
Your GPU will throttle down your system to something like 10 or 15 FPS maximum.

20 hours ago, AlphaInfinity said:

Thanks David, are you using Nvidia Inspector or are all of your card settings configured via the P3d control panel? I can report about the same FPS on my rig with the new 2080TI installed. 19+ with Seattle City and Airport X, FLSABS A320, rex sky force 3d, ultimate traffic live and GSX. I will certainly grab another Zotac AMP 2080TI in the future with Nvlink but I am going to let the market calm down and wait for the prices to drop. 

My pleasure.
No NI nor AM settings, vanilla P3D.cfg with HT Off, that's all.

Best regards,
David Roch