Sign in to follow this  
Radial9

Difficult Hardware Choice To Make Need Advice

Purchasing a new flightsim computer sometime in the near future. Probably going with Jetline Systems and a new I9 overclocked CPU’s once they get them on the bench and stable.

I’m moving into flying commercial jets after years of flying piston AC. Going to retire here shortly and I intend to fly heavy metal and work on my short game.

I have a TM Warthog HOTAS and Throttle now. I dabbled for a while in DCS but found I was not as interested in learning weapon systems and blowing XXXX up as I thought I would be. I do enjoy flying the Spitfire and will probably return to it at some point in time. I also GREATLY enjoy flying my Manfred Jahn C47. A LOT!

I pulled the TM Warthog off the system and put the CH yoke, THQ and Rudder setup back on. The TM setup is setting off to the side, collecting dust.

I do believe the majority of my flying will be jets going into the future, but I know I will still fly vintage war AC and general aviation (read A2A Bonanza) too.

I’m thinking of buying a Yoko yoke and TQ6 to go with the new rig. 

If I decide not to buy them how much of a compromise is it to fly the Q400, the PMDG 737, 777 and the Maddog MD80 with the TM setup and not buy the yoke and TQ6?

I suppose I could have both setup full time, but it would make for a crowded desktop and front office.

I guess it sounds like  I want it all, but I'm concerned flying heavy metal with the TM setup will be filled with shortcomings and trade offs that I might not be able to accept.

Would appreciate any opinions on the decision.

Thanks!!

Bob

I don't guess I have the exact answer you are looking for; but I can tell you that I have been extremely happy working with Jetline. After just over a year of use I am still completely satisfied with the VirtualFly Yoko yoke, TQ6 and the Ruddo rudder pedals. So if you do decide to go that way I think you will be very happy.

I think VF have started manufacturing the TQ6 with Hall Sensors now. It's called the TQ6 Plus. Be sure to ask about that at Jetline. It should really improve the TQ.

Hope this helps,

Jesse

I should add that I really don't think it should be a big problem having two sets of controllers available. Again, you might want to chat with Jetline folks on this too. They do a lot of custom setups and will have great input. They always seem very willing to discuss these sort of issues.

Edited by JesC
  • Like 1

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Virtual fly is coming out with a new YOKO yoke real soon that has both Hall sensors and a real hat switch. I do have the new TQ6 plus which is much better than the earlier product and I highly recommend it. You wont be disappointed in the quality and feel.

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Hi Bob, I’m also waiting for the new version of the Yoko with the hall sensors or something similar, in the mean time I also have the TM warthog hotas and CH and saitek yokes. I know what you mean, flying an airliner with a joystick kind of feels wrong, I also love flying in DCS but don’t  fly it as often as I fly in P3D. My expensive warthog started gathering dust while I persevered with the saitek yoke, just because it was a yoke.

However I’ve now come to the conclusion it’s better to have a none standard joystick of high quality than use the toy like saitek anymore with its horrible pitch detent. Plus all the buttons on the warthog are great for when flying in VR, and if you’ve not tried that yet it’ll blow you away , it’s nearer to flying a real aircraft than it is to a desk top sim on a monitor.

Also I can highly recommend the new Thrustmaster TPR rudders to go with your warthog, they’re great quality and add a lot to the feel of the sim.

I now use the warthog joystick to fly the PMDG 747 around, and because of its quality metal construction and sensors  ,despite it being a joystick it feels a lot more realistic to me than using the saitek or CH yoke, and I’m a 747 captain in real life, just to put that into perspective.

so, yes a quality yoke like the yoko would probably be even better than the warthog, but the warthog is still better than a cheaper yoke for your airliners. If you can have both, life is short ! Or just have the warthog and use the yoko money on a Samsung odyssey!

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

13 hours ago, JesC said:

After just over a year of use I am still completely satisfied with the VirtualFly Yoko yoke, TQ6 and the Ruddo rudder pedals.

hallo Jesse

I am looking around now for rudder pedals and am also interested in the Ruddo. Unfortunately, I cannot find any info on the total travel range backward-forward of this rudder pedal. Would you be able to measure that.
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Edit comment: I saw a video of Michael Brown, and the travel range looks very small.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNBHiTlhQ3s

Edited by oemlegoem

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

19 minutes ago, oemlegoem said:

hallo Jesse

I am looking around now for rudder pedals and am also interested in the Ruddo. Unfortunately, I cannot find any info on the total travel range backward-forward of this rudder pedal. Would you be able to measure that.
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Having used the Thrustmaster TPR pedals I can also vouch for their accuracy. Probably the closest thing to real world pedals as vouched by Jon B above who is a r/w pilot.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 hours ago, oemlegoem said:

Would you be able to measure that.

The location of mine is a bit difficult to get to for any accurate measurement but it looks like it may only be a couple of inches. The video seems to represent it pretty well.

It has never been an issue for me, though. I don't think I know the mechanical reasons well enough to say why. Perhaps because they are very robust pedals and require a good deal of pressure to move them. I know single engine work in a twin will make your leg tired much the same as in the real thing.

The Saitek pedals I had before were not even close to the realistic feel of the Ruddo and the Saitek have considerably more travel. So I'm not sure travel distance is the only consideration.

Hope that helps,

Jesse

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

From the technical drawings on the Virtual Fly website, I estimated that the Ruddo total back-forward movement is about 65mm. The Thrustmaster TPR and Brunner CLS-E both have 150mm. That is quite a big difference. That makes me wonder which ones are closest to real world planes.

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

Gentlemen... Thank You for the opinions offered. It sounds like I should wait a bit to buy both the yoke and throttle set up to get Hall sensors in both. Perhaps by waiting too the Intel 9th gen  processors will be shipping in quantity. I ended up ordering a Crosswinds last week.When I looked at the Thrustmaster Pendular early last week there were 7 at that big warehouse in the sky. I went back to look Thursday and they are now back ordered 60 to 90 days. I believe I will be pleased with the Crosswinds. They have already shipped.

All in good time. Now I have the next big decision to make. After making my target hours in the Q400 do I move next to the 737NGX or the Maddog. I'm leaning heavily toward the Maddog. Both are sitting in the hanger uninstalled.

I put a few hours in the C47 today. It has been a month or two. It's like slipping on the best pair of warm slippers you have ever owned on a cold winter morning. Just relaxing flying after shear terror after terror in the Q400.

Thanks Again!

Bob

Edited by Radial9