Sign in to follow this  
AKflightsimmer

Pitch, Yaw, Roll Problems with Joy stick Now

I hope that I am in the right spot and won't irritate to many old timers to much, LOL. I just got into flight siming a few months ago, and started on a Toshiba laptop. I knew that it wouldn't be very powerful but planned to eventually build a gaming pc so just put up with slow frame rates, and dull graphics, 18 to apx 30 fps and have really had fun flying around Idaho and Alaska in the back country. Bush pilot flying is my favorite kind of flying. I purchased the soulmade DHC-2 Beaver and absolutely love it, and it worked flawlessly on the laptop. Both pc's are running windows 10, Well I finally got my new pc up and running this last week and it is running great.  It is a i7-8700k cpu with a msi GeForce gtx 1080 gpu, 16gb ram, I ran some benchmarks and everything is stable and running fast, and is working great with every plane that came with X-plane 10 that I am running. But when I finally loaded up the DHC-2 Beaver that I had been using on the laptop, I found that all the buttons on my Logitech 3d pro joystick are working, all of the programed buttons and throttle work fine. But even though the pitch,roll,and yaw register movement correctly in x-plane when set up on the setup screen, once I get back to the cockpit view or look at the plane externally, none of the 3 controls surfaces work at all when I move the joystick. I have spent hrs. researching the problem and thought that by downloading new MicroSoft  C++ redistributables for everything form 2005 up to 2015 as was mentioned throughout online resources as a possible fix,  I still have nothing. Seems so funny because everything else, well almost everything else on the Beaver works as before. The oil light on the dash no longer works, the switch to turn on the instrument light doesn’t work, and the yoke isn’t in the cockpit anymore. The throttle works fine, and all programed buttons on the base of the joy stick work fine.  I am in a real quandary right now. I can’t find any information addressing this issue other than the Redistributables for C++ that I already downloaded and installed today hoping that might address any programming issues, but it didn't help.  I have deleted the original Beaver and reinstalled it and that didn't do anything either. I really need some help from someone with more experience that myself in computers. The Beaver is unflyable right now, so am hoping someone  has had this problem before or knows what I could do to possibly fix this. Thanks so much for hearing me out, sorry if I was a little long winded but tried to explain things clearly as to what is going on.    Thanks Again

Often, uninstalling then reinstalling the plane has worked for me.  Just delete from "Extra Aircraft" then reinstall your download.

Edited by olderndirt

Thank You for the reply, Olderndirt. I will certainly try that again and see if it does anything. Im wishing it will be that simple. Im sure it is something easy if I can just figure it out.LOL  Thanks  

Ok, just flew over your initial post - and I don´t have the DH-2 myself, but here is what I would do:

1.) Make sure you are on the latest "stable release" of X-Plane (not a beta). I think that is 11.26 right now. Edit: Just realized that you are still on XP10! Disregard this one, then.

2.) Verify that your controls are working ok for a default aircraft (like the C-172).

3.) Put out the DATA for joystick deflection and flight control deflection to your screen. You can pick those in the DATA DISPLAY (or whatever its called) tab in the settings menu.

4.) Make sure you have the right "control profile" selected. You can make many different profiles now for different aircraft - so you could possibly setup the "generic" profile just fine, but then load (automatically) a special profile for the DH-2...which may not have the joystick axis set up at all. Verify that in the control setup screen. Edit: Just realized that you are still on XP10! Disregard this one, then.

IF your joystick works for some aircraft then it has absolutely nothing to do with your new hardware, and re-installing anything (X-Plane, the DH-2,...) will most likely not help at all.

Good luck, Jan

Edited by Janov

Look in your Log file. If the Beaver uses its own plug-in and this can't start this could result in this problem.

Is it only the Beaver having this issue? Second, do you by any mistake activate "your plane is controlled by AI" (or something similar) ?

And I really recommend X-Plane 11, your pc has the recommended specs and it should run XP11 much better then XP10. The code is completely being reworked for Vulcan, and is more streamlined then ever.

thanks everyone for your input I hadn't thought about checking the activity log, I will do that. I'm not sure how to check for individual plugins  but I'll figure it out ,And yes it is only the beaver that is having the problem, all other airplanes in X-Plane 10 all work correctly the beaver is the only airplane that I have purchased online and since it worked fine on the laptop I just expected it to work fine on this new gaming computer. 

I will review everything everyone has said and then as stated above I should probably upgrade to X-Plane 11 so I will consider that also. Thanks everyone this gives me some things to try to accomplish today excellent! really appreciate all your input thanks again,,,, the old guy flying in the woods😁

I will post any of my results and what I find out so this might help someone else also

• Like 1

Good morning Everyone, I just wanted to pause the flight sim on my new gaming pc for a few minutes 😀🤩😄👍jump on the laptop, and let everyone know I was able to finally fix this problem today. Oh man I can’t thank everyone enough for all the input as to just what might have caused my lack of joystick control for my DHC-2 Beaver that I wanted to fly so badly. I have been exhaustively  researching any and everything I could think of. I was told to try and download some C++ redistributable packages from Microsoft to possible fix this issue. So I did that a few days ago, but it didn’t help so I kept looking for other options. Then I finally did what Longranger suggested and looked in the log file today. I didn’t even know where to find that before, but found instructions online and went into the original X-plane 10 folder and low and behold there was a  log.text file that I opened and read through. I finally came to where I had loaded up the Beaver to fly and there WAS AN ERROR MESSAGE stating,  Error Code 126 : The specified module could not be found.

So I jumped back on the laptop and searched what that meant, and stumbled onto instructions that said if this happened check out your C++ redistributables again. So I went back in the New windows 10 PC and looked in settings/Apps and scrolled down to where it listed all the C++ redistributables that I had, and I had a bunch, but no 2010.x64bit  package installed. So I went to Microsoft again and downloaded that particular package, installed it, and opened X-plane 10 again,,,,, and with fingers crossed, loaded the Beaver into the Airport @ Valdez Alaska. Everything started up fine and WaaaLaaa,,,,,, everything is working AGAIN!!   Oh man, I am so happy. :rolleyes::biggrin:I flew around and then shut down, and restarted everything up again just to make sure it all worked again and it did.  So I guess in a long winded way I just want to let everyone know how important those redistributables are.

I’m no computer programmer or coder, 40 years under a Welding Hood doesn't make you one of those lol, but I am really beginning to understand just how important all of this coding really is, as my son who is a coder and programmer has said,  so that we can all sit in front of our nice big 27" flat screens and act like pilots in the comfort of our own homes!  LOL,, Thanks to all of you for helping me think of so many different things that this could have been.  We never quit learning do We!        The old Guy flyin in the Woods :biggrin:

So happy that you got it to work - and way to stick with it and persist! With your troubleshooting abilities you certainly surpass 95% of all computer users out there!

Enjoy your flights (and take a look at XP11, you won´t regret it!)

Cheers, Jan

Thanks Janov for your help and kind reply,  I have ordered x-plane 11 so am just enjoying 10 right now, but will probably move on to 11 once it arrives. Thanks for your suggestions.   I am sure trying to learn all of this and do it correctly. It just takes a little time dont you know. 😊

• Like 1