Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

B55 Baron FDE update released on MilViz Support Site.

Stew,

The new aircraft.cfg will call this new b55_8.air file, make sure you make a backup copy of the original .cfg in case you don't like this new FDE?

Cheers

Martin

Edited by MartinRex007

Thanks, Martin.  I thought as much, but didn't know for sure.  Already made a backup and made a short flight from KPAO Palo Alto to KSBP San Luis Obispo.  I can't comment one way or the other about the new FDE--I just don't know enough to judge honestly, but I've always liked the airplane.  And Ron Atwood's paint for N286D is very nice.

Cheers!

Stew

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

1 hour ago, StewartH said:

And Ron Atwood's paint for N286D is very nice.

Nice to see the PR Dept. is still working. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Anyone have a handle on how many lines in the aircraft.cfg file changed?  I have so much customization with multiple custom liveries and custom panel configurations that it might be easier to edit my current ,cfg file than to edit the new one....

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

9 hours ago, StewartH said:

If you're not officially signed up for that (B55) support forum, no link is available.

I got the link in my email.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

Anyone have a handle on how many lines in the aircraft.cfg file changed?  I have so much customization with multiple custom liveries and custom panel configurations that it might be easier to edit my current ,cfg file than to edit the new one....

Frank,  Maybe compare the two side-by-side?  I noticed a few lines that had been rem'd out and replaced.  I'm still not sure how the new aircraft.cfg reads the new b55_8.air, since I saw no reference to it there.  Your customized aircraft.cfg may not pick up the new .air file.  Maybe Wells will have to weigh in here eventually and point out the changes.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

" I'm still not sure how the new aircraft.cfg reads the new b55_8.air, since I saw no reference to it there."

All you need in the .cfg file is on the third line "sim=b55_8", this is where it reads the FDE file. I suspect there are not that many chances in the new .cfg file, but important ones that go with the new FDE so make sure you transfer those values over.

[fltsim.0]
title=Milviz Baron 55
sim=b55_8
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=N00FS
kb_checklists=MilViz_Baron_55_checklist
kb_reference=MilViz_Baron_55_references
atc_id=N7345R
ui_manufacturer="Beechcraft"
ui_type="Baron B55"
ui_variation="N00FS"
ui_typerole="Twin Engine Prop"
ui_createdby="MILVIZ"
description="With the wonderful control harmony that is the hallmark of the Bonanza line, the Beech Baron 55 is considered a classic light twin. The Baron combines the attractiveness of Beechcraft design with the reliability of twin engines, resulting in a gorgeous workhorse of an aircraft.  The airplane depicted here was built in 1974 as a T-42A model, construction number TC-1707."

Edited by MartinRex007

Please do not post information from our aircraft...  in the open like this.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

Hi Folks,

OK - I did some testing last night on the new FDE - on approach - default load - 90 KIAS - Full Flaps - 500 FPM decent rate - I'm seeing a pitch up attitude of 5 to 6 degrees - now I don't have much experience in twins - so this is a novices humble opinion and I stand ready to be corrected - but I don't think it should be pitched up so much under these conditions... I greatly appreciate Wells effort and it seems to behave better than the initial FDE.. I'll continue to test it a bit further and I look forward to input from twin guys who have more experience than I...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Disregard - already asked and answered...

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613

Scott, I'm not seeing 5-6 deg.  I can tell you exactly what the angle is.  At 5000 lbs, the lift coefficient is 0.917 ( the flaps contribute 0.3 to that ).  This occurs at exactly 0.0773 rad ( 4.4 deg AoA ).  On a 3 deg glide slope, the nose is up 1.4 deg.  If I could figure out how to attach a screenshot here, I would.

Hi Wells,

Hmm - maybe I loaded it wrong - let me try again... Once again - I greatly appreciate your interest...

We can't post images here - you have to host them elsewhere and post the link here...

Thanks so much...

Regards,
Scott

7 hours ago, scottb613 said:

I'll continue to test it a bit further and I look forward to input from twin guys who have more experience than I...

After what all I have read here I will likely forego this update.  As a genuine B55 pilot (military T42), albeit some 40+ years ago, I have been very pleased with this Milviz offering and its flight dynamics.  It is my go-to twin for shorter lower flights of under two hours in duration.

T-42%281%29-XL.jpg

Credit to Ron Attwood for this US Army T42 repaint variant.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere