Sign in to follow this  
Pnes

What to answer to: "Resume navigation"

Hello Everyone,

When the Ctr says: "Resume navigation". What should answer?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Pnes said:

Hello Everyone,

When the Ctr says: "Resume navigation". What should answer?

Thanks in advance.

NOTE: I didn't catch this was for an ATC product before posting - so my comments here may or may not be applicable...

Hi...

I think the official FAA term is "resume own navigation"...

It's actually an ATC instruction - so you should provide a read back as you should with all ATC instructions - something like:

"Resume own navigation - [your call sign] or [the last three digits of your call sign if ATC has been referring to you by them]"...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Thank you very much for your answer.

The ATC RadarContact told me "Resume navigation" because I had left the flight plan (pilot error ...).

Rookie with P2A, I do not know where to find the answer in all the possibilities of ATC phrases. I searched in all areas "Resume navigation" or "Resume own navigation": nothing. Maybe there is no need to answer?

Pilot2ATC should offer training (humor) to the ATC discussion because when you're simmer-pilot, you do not know what to ask or sometimes what to answer (I read the doc page 190-195).

Edited by Pnes

As far as I know this is not a standard ICAO instruction therefore its a actually an improper instruction to give.  Try to give an instruction like this to someone from Asia and they will not know what you are saying.  I think it a stock phrase from FS2002 or something and it just won't die.  I have never heard ATC issue it in 20 years of flying.  If however I was issued something along the lines of fly my Flight Plan Route I would just acknowledge with my Callsign or Wilco, Callsign.  A Roger, Callsign would also be acceptable as you aren't being issued a clearance/instruction so you are just acknowledging you heard and understood them.  But there's no need to repeat everything a controller utters.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Problem of common atc in fsx or p3d is that they ignored your flightplan with Sid and Star included...

Professional Flight Planner give us a solution with "resume own navigation", this solution disconnect sim-atc for enabled your personal plan in fms...

I've always replied with "Own Nav, [Callsign]", though I don't know what the product in question is looking to hear.

Now if we can just get people on VATSIM to stop saying "with you".  My old flight instructor (God rest his soul) turns over in his grave every time someone on VATSIM or IVAO uses that term. He broke me of his habit in about 3 seconds by boxing my ear when I said it once... ONCE!  🙂   I'm sure Scott knows what I'm talking about!

Best wishes everyone!

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Speaking of no-human atc in softs 

53 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

I have never heard ATC issue it in 20 years of flying

It's a frequently heard instruction in Australian ATC (ref: Australian AIP GEN 3.4-81)

David Porrett

20 minutes ago, DavidP said:

It's a frequently heard instruction in Australian ATC (ref: Australian AIP GEN 3.4-81)

The page reference you provided does not include the phrase "Resume own Navigation" doesn't have anything Todo with navigation at all.  A word search of the entire document showed on 3.4 - 80 it's mentioned.  But as I stated that doesn't mean it's ICAO standard.  Just as the rest of the world uses Backtrack instead of Back Taxi as in the US.  It's non-ICAO.

Edited by thibodba57

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

If you want to respond to that, just use either Wilco or Roger, <CallSign>.  You will only get this after you have drifted off course and have been given a vector to get you back on course....rather than just being told you are off course.  

This call removes the restriction of maintaining the assigned heading and allows you to resume navigation along your filed flight plan.

Hi Folks,

While it may not be ICAO compliant...

I sorely miss - Poition and Hold - LOL - anyway....

From the US Pilot Controller Glossary: 

RESUME OWN NAVIGATION− Used by ATC to
advise a pilot to resume his/her own navigational
responsibility. It is issued after completion of a radar
vector or when radar contact is lost while the aircraft
is being radar vectored.
(See RADAR CONTACT LOST.)
(See RADAR SERVICE TERMINATED.)

From reading several discussions - it seems applicable to VFR traffic...

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

16 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

The page reference you provided does not include the phrase "Resume own Navigation" doesn't have anything Todo with navigation at all.

Maybe this might help:

31813520168_eb9ca3b4ea_b.jpg

• Like 1

David Porrett

3 hours ago, Pnes said:

Thank you very much for your answer.

The ATC RadarContact told me "Resume navigation" because I had left the flight plan (pilot error ...).

Rookie with P2A, I do not know where to find the answer in all the possibilities of ATC phrases. I searched in all areas "Resume navigation" or "Resume own navigation": nothing. Maybe there is no need to answer?

Pilot2ATC should offer training (humor) to the ATC discussion because when you're simmer-pilot, you do not know what to ask or sometimes what to answer (I read the doc page 190-195).

Several of the ATC programs do not give correct ATC commands or read backs.  I know the readback with Pilot2ATC for the pilot to make an initial contact is to say "With you at (Alt)" when if I say that on Pilotedge, I will be taken to the carpet for it.

When ATC says "Resume own navigation" or maybe calls you out for getting off course and vectors you back on course, you can say "Resume own navigation, Cessna 473 bravo charlie" or just "Wilco. Heading 090 Cessna 473 bravo charlie"

Pilot2ATC does kind of have a training feature, in that you can have it show what it expects you to say, or even say it.

A big thank you for your opinions and exchanges.
Being a rookie with ATC, it's rewarding to have your opinions and solutions.

If I understand correctly, I will remember that when Radar contact will ask me "Resume navigation" I simply answer that I received the message (ROGER or WILCO) and I return in the flight plan (discretely of course - humor).

Thank you and best regards.
😉

• Like 1