Sign in to follow this  
LB777

Why is it so hard for addon devs to not alienate customers?

1 hour ago, Cactus521 said:

we do it to make support easier

I enjoy reading your posts John.

Now you got me thinking over our past, since I go on boringly, perhaps I should mention I came from the defence industry, Royal Ordnance Factories quality assurance support analyst and Science Officer graded. Leading to that I worked on international standards, developed, maintained, repaired, calibrated and fully documented all those test procedures, some of our national standards. Then went on to oversee that the nasty stuff was built correctly so I'm not run-of-the-mill. I was cherry picked and given a four wheel drive supercar, un-limited fuel for mountaineering, and double the salary to maintain and help develop computers the size of washing machines. I changed jobs a few times but that was basically companies changing hands. I pulled out when they were changing hands again and went out on my own looked after a load of sites. I let it run away as I needed more me-time.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

I enjoy reading your posts John.

Now you got me thinking over our past, since I go on boringly, perhaps I should mention I came from the defence industry, Royal Ordnance Factories quality assurance support analyst and Science Officer graded. Leading to that I worked on international standards, developed, maintained, repaired, calibrated and fully documented all those test procedures, some of our national standards. Then went on to oversee that the nasty stuff was built correctly so I'm not run-of-the-mill. I was cherry picked and given a four wheel drive supercar, un-limited fuel for mountaineering, and double the salary to maintain and help develop computers the size of washing machines. I changed jobs a few times but that was basically companies changing hands. I pulled out when they were changing hands again and went out on my own looked after a load of sites. I let it run away as I needed more me-time.

Science Officer graded?  Uh Oh, Spock was the Science Office on Star Trek.  You have a rich background.  I worked for a few companies that changed hands, which sometimes caused a cultural shift I did not like.  All the jobs I ever accepted were due to their company culture, whether incorporated or private companies.  I preferred working for private or non profit outfits most of all.  They were less likely to be taken over by other companies.  I would always have to remind myself that being in IT was about change, and that company takeovers were part of that change, and that I should champion change.  But change for the worst I did not like, which would motivate me to change jobs.

John

5 hours ago, SteveW said:

I didn't think he did mean the inexplicably vast and wide range of differing addons, but rather the range of possible ways of interaction within the system.

To be fair, I did ask for clarification.

• Like 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

This topic should be used as an example of how people can interact here.  People wanting the same end but looking at it from different sides.  Maybe disagreeing but no one killed anyone.  It was also good t interact with, and get to know a couple of great people better.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Harry Woodrow

12 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

being in IT was about change

Well said.

13 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

To be fair, I did ask for clarification.

Actually I have been thinking about it and I don't know either to be fair. What I tend to do is perhaps look for and interpret more common sense in the post, that can be wrong too.

Possibly some might mis-understand me on the admin thing. Running things as admin all the time is usually OK so long as you don't mind the OK to this and the OK to that. But can get you into trouble and weird stuff can happen.

Reliable systems are fully configured - apps that make system changes elevate to admin: that's it. Other uses is inviting trouble, not just malware, rather usually very odd behaviour after installing or making changes gives unexpected results. My own software is not affected even though I go on about it, since I know the pitfalls.

Apps that put folders and files in the sim program files folder that when the sim is running want to write out to those files can't because they don't have permission.

The reason I speak strongly about this subject is that:

when we don't have permission we *give the permission*

Doing something else might be OK but that's second and will require more consideration and may come with ramifications.

In effect as far as I am concerned if we get caught speeding it's better to slow down rather than fit a radar scanner. And it's also not recommended in the MS manuals.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

Actually I have been thinking about it and I don't know either to be fair. What I tend to do is perhaps look for and interpret more common sense in the post, that can be wrong too.

You took the meaning I meant though you were more precise.  I was thinking along the lines of...to get to somewhere we can walk, run or jump and a developer should know people can do these things and handle them.....he probably should also be aware if someone is developing a teleporter and handle that to if it comes up. 

• Like 1

Harry Woodrow

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:10 AM, WarpD said:

I was not the one who dropped the 'r'... I simply responded to it accordingly. LOL

I knew that Ed, I was just to lazy to scroll back to the original typo gaffe.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator