Sign in to follow this  
ranger352

X-Plane shuts PC down

Several minutes after starting X-Plane my computer shuts down, the time between start and shut down is varied between 4 and 10 minutes. The problem started around the time I upgraded my Graphics card from R9 380 to Nvidia 1070 Ti to improve frame rate. I have spent a very long time trying to get to the root of this problem. I have removed all plug ins bar essentials, I have tried many different settings, different aircraft, different joystick. I have reinstalled X-Plane, I have reinstalled X-Plane on another hard drive, and finally have reinstalled X-Plane to a SSD drive. None of these things have fixed or altered the problem. I have rolled back Graphics drivers. Has anyone else had a problem with an Nvidia card?

I hope I haven't spent a lot of money for nothing, any help would be much appreciated.

Mike

It is possible that you have a problem of overheating of the CPU and for security the equipment is restarted, the Xplane is very demanding with the cpu. You can check it with the program Core temp.

It could also be your video card. Xplane is also demanding with the GPU.  I run a GTX 1080 with my xplane 11 setup. I don't have everything set to max and I can easily fill the cards vram (8gb) and run close to 100 percent. You can download a program called GPU-Z and monitor the gpu under the settings tab to see how your card is running. BSD (blue screen of death) today is almost always caused by a hardware issue or driver issue. CPU/GPU cooling, if not adequate will also cause your hardware to glitch, and cause a BSD.  

Some ideas you could try:

I would disable any overlocking (if that applies to you) and download a cpu stress test. If that passes, try a gpu stress test. 

Try reseating the video card on the motherboard. 

Is your power supply adequate?  I have had several issues with PC's crashing over a failing power supply. It may be fine for day to day computing, but as soon as you tax out the cpu and gpu, it puts a much bigger load on the power supply.

Good luck

• Like 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

Does your system crash or shut down?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Hi Guys

Many thanks for suggestions, I downloaded the software as recommended and it showed that X-Plane was running too hot, It continued too run too hot even with settings at minimum.

Finally I noticed that one of the case fans was on go slow. Replaced fan and all is well. I still am struggling to maintain frame rate above 20 fps at bigger airports. So my 8 core 4.2G processor and 32 Gb RAM and 1070 Ti Graphics card are obviously not good enough. Thanks again you have been a great help.

Regards Mike

I think the 1070Ti is very good Graphics card,meybe your setting in Xplane are too hight.Post a screen shot of the graphic setting in XP.

6 hours ago, ranger352 said:

bigger airports. So my 8 core 4.2G processor and 32 Gb RAM and 1070 Ti Graphics card are obviously not good enough.

TI I have stock and no issues. As for big airports thats normal due to the amount of scenery, You may not get much improvement going to 1080, even the new 2000 series are just a very expensive for little improvement as many have seeing, If you are not getting stutters than you have no issues, If you have reflection high turn them down they are a FPS killer.

Graphic settings on the right are CPU related and graphics on the left GPU related if I'm not mistaken. X-Plane is not really multicore enhanced so even having 32 cores will not help except for some plugins that may use multi core or offload their tasks to another core than X-Plane, I think Hot Start's TBM 900 does that? Maybe more plugins do it to.

Reflections and clouds are a killer does not matter what GPU or CPU you have your FPS will take a dump when it get's real cloudy or you use too many reflections.

So in theory you have a pretty good GPU, nothing wrong with that so you can raise those settings a bit and settings that are controlled by CPU you will need to lower. I have reflections turned off but that's personal preference.  I have a i76700K@4.7GHz , 32MB ram and 1080ti and running of an NVME m.2 drive and still cannot have everything maxed out, that's life :) But I do get a good average of 40 - 50 fps in ToLiSs a319 / FFA320 / Rotate MD80 etc at payware airports with medium cloud coverage. Through heavy clouds it drops to 20 FPS. G-Sync helps a bit in these circumstance so it's far less of a stutter just a more smooth albeit slower framerate.

This is all driving an Asus Predator 3440x1440 monitor.

Edited by Glenn_C