Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

So what's up with those M2 SSD slots ?

Hi Folks,

So my new MOBO has one of those M2 drive slots - what's the deal with them - should I utilize it - any difference from SATA SSD - any logic as to how to utilize - should I use it to host the OS or P3D ?

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

They are faster...

When I say faster, I don't mean they will blow your mind, they are very fast in benchmarks, but in day to day use it wont blow your mind. Faster all the same though. The most noticeable jump in speed is from mechanical hard drives to SATA SSD.

You want the OS on that drive, so boot up and shut down is faster and Windows operation. Also your priority software, like the sim. 

I have a 500 GB 960 Evo and a 1 terabyte 850 Evo. 

So it depends on your budget. If you are very tight for money I would say stick to SSD. If your budget is decent, then yes, worth it. 

Edited by martin-w

I bought a M2 for P3D, as it should decrease loading times of the sim, and scenery in flight, but I'm quite dissapointed with it. I do have a lot of AI traffic and that will slow down loading time, but still it takes aprox. 4.30 min from I click on the P3D button on the Desktop, till i*m on the screen where I can choose plane, airport etc, and then about another min. or so till I'm ready on the runway. So I think using it for the OS etc. Win 10 might be a better use for it, allthough my Windows on a ssd drive starts up in aprox 20-30 sec. and I have time to wait for that.

Edited by jlund

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

I installed P3D on a Samsung M.2 NVME drive and didn't see one lick of difference in loading time vs a SATA III SSD.

I recently installed an M2 card to store my P3D partition. I was hoping that the "getting ready" prep time would be reduced. However, in practise there is no worthwhile difference between SSD and M2. I am thinking seriously about reverting back to the SSD which has an advantage (for me art least) because I have an piece of kit that can clone SSDs so I can have secondary copies of SSDs ready to go if I should stuff FSX or P3D up by my "Playing around" with the software and files. An option that is much more friendly and faster than using Acronis to recover from backups.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

For M.2 Drives, the "speed increase" (data throughput) will vary depending on the M2 connection & type.

For more info, See this article Overview of M.2 SSDs. and this Data Transfer Rates Compared (RAM vs PCIe vs SATA vs USB vs More!).
Don't forget to read about the PCI-E lane complications. (Specially if you have powerful  Video Cards).

Edited by RamonB
Typo

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the great input - hmm - seems it may come down to buying the drive mainly to free up a SATA port... I already have (3) SSD's - (2) 256GB - (1) 512GB bought at different times in the past...Maybe it's time to remove the smaller ones ?

Regards,

Scott

13 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the great input - hmm - seems it may come down to buying the drive mainly to free up a SATA port... I already have (3) SSD's - (2) 256GB - (1) 512GB bought at different times in the past...Maybe it's time to remove the smaller ones ?

Regards,

Scott

I am just getting my new 8086K build up and running. Not sure the M2s will be much faster but I sure love getting away with out all the cables clogging up air flow. Left out the CD/DVD also.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

8 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

I am just getting my new 8086K build up and running. Not sure the M2s will be much faster but I sure love getting away with out all the cables clogging up air flow. Left out the CD/DVD also.

Hi Sam,

Yeah - for the few times I need it - I have an external DVD I can use - first build without a disc player for me...

Regards,
Scott

30 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Sam,

Yeah - for the few times I need it - I have an external DVD I can use - first build without a disc player for me...

Regards,
Scott

Third for me. You wont miss it. I have an external too, external Blue Ray. Quite cheap, Philips I think it is. 

I have a 2tb m2. I keep everything on the same drive now. I use to always keep the OS and my flight sim on different drives. But since switching to p3d and ssd,s I don't know if there is much benefit to doing that. It's pretty much just a dedicated flight rig anyways. So it's pretty clean. 

I've read that unless you are using the PCI-E bus, you arent going to see much difference in speed. 

I use my m.2 nvme drive for p3d and w10. It boots up in about 12 seconds or so. 

I've noticed that the terrain exp tweak set to 10 increases loading times quite a bit.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

20 hours ago, MrSpeaker said:

I have a 2tb m2. I keep everything on the same drive now. I use to always keep the OS and my flight sim on different drives. But since switching to p3d and ssd,s I don't know if there is much benefit to doing that. It's pretty much just a dedicated flight rig anyways. So it's pretty clean. 

I thought about going that way with my new build, but I decided to keep Win 10 on a separate 256GB SATA III drive because it makes backing up the OS partition (including a verification pass) a 10-min job, and I back up the boot drive often (weekly) because of the problems I've had with Win 10 automatic updates boogering up my finely-tuned system.  If I kept everything on a single drive, the backup process would take over an hour longer.

I reluctantly ponied up the extra $$ for a retail copy of Win 10 Pro for this build...hopefully the update delay features in the Pro version will eliminate the constant threat of Microsoft surreptitiously injecting an unproven and dysfunctional update into my system without my consent, and maybe one day I'll put everything up on one SSD (on a monthly vice weekly backup schedule).

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case