Sign in to follow this  
Aharon

No Error Message in Event Viewer For FSX

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

I have been using FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2 set in Windows 10 Pro using my new laptop that is now 9 month old.  The FSX flights went smoothly with only one freeze per 20 or 30 flights which I can live with that statistical fact.

But when I experience FSX freeze usually over large lake or sea or channel or bodies of water, I am totally puzzled to see that Event Viewer of Windows 10 produced no results or no explanations or no error messages for FSX freeze??

Is that possible?

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

I though I just replied to this??  Probably over at the other site.  Freezes....does it ever unfreeze and continue on or does it give you a CTD?   You water settings may be a tad too high.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Since it happens over water, what are your water settings?  Most computers are happy with any of the 1x settings, many computers are fine with 2xLow, but if you are running 2xMedium or High, FSX may simply be overwhelming your computer.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Page 34, AVSIM CTD Guide, provides some solutions found around the Internet.  One is to disable autosave from FSUIPC.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Charlliearon and Stans,

I have been flying over waters for years with various laptops especially 700 flights over Caribbean and high water settings never gave me problems. My latest laptop is very very powerful therefore should not be problem for high water settings

Charliearon, FSX freezes and when I want to close FSX, it gives me option to close it now or wait for it to respond. The strange thing is that when it freezes, the window is CLEAR unlike my past laptops showing 'ghost whitish" window superimposed on FSX window.

Jim, I will check page 34 

How is it possible there is NO error message or NO mention in event viewer?

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

One is to disable autosave from FSUIPC.

Will disabling autosave from FSUIPC affect Vatsim flying OR affect time recording of any ASCARS program recording my flights?

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

I have never used autosave, FSUIPC or otherwise but I do know members have fixed freezes when disabling FSUIPC autosave.  It is evidently saving and saving and saving throughout a flight and causing the system to freeze up.  I have not verified this was the issue with them but it did fix their freezes and they began looking for other solutions to save a flight.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

FSUIPC flight saving is likely to cause freezes of under five seconds in the case of an improperly configured anti-virus package. I use software with similar functionality that can safely log flights of over 14 hours without issue. You should make sure that your anti-virus excludes the FS directories, the My Documents\FSX files directories as well as the FSX process itself.

IIRC correctly ActiveSky had a race condition issue back in the AS2012 days where they got a hang (for 18 minutes) every now and then when running FSX on >4 cores.

Cheers!

Edited by Luke
AS2012 hang

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Jim and Luke,

Thanks for interesting facts and answers!! Now I have to figure out how to disable FSUIPC's autosave function.

LMAOOOOOO

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

7 minutes ago, Aharon said:

Now I have to figure out how to disable FSUIPC's autosave function.

If you did not turn it on yourself then it is not turned on as this is not a default setting.

Submit News to AVSIM

On 11/5/2018 at 8:56 AM, Jim Young said:

If you did not turn it on yourself then it is not turned on as this is not a default setting.

Oh darn there goes the FSUIPC theory for this problem as I did not touch the settings of that.  Anyway I need to look aroud FSUIPC's settings to be sure it is off.

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

Even if there were an Event in the Event Viewer, it would provide no clue as to the cause.  It would just show an "AppHang B1".  Those are the hardest to diagnose.  I have had a lot of freezes over the years with FSX and P3D.  I own most of the Carenado aircraft and they have a module loaded by the dll.xml for their weather radar - CMeteoXml.dll.  Normally this module does not cause any problems but once, during a major thunderstorm from a hurricane, I decided to fly my CS757 in the storm.  The CS757, as you know, has nothing to do with the CMeteoXml.  But, while loading the CS757 at Wash Dulles, the sim froze up and crashed.  Sometimes I could take off and fly for 10-20 minutes but would suddenly see the infamous swirling icon indicating a freeze.  I disabled Active Sky and the problem went away.  So I submitted a trouble ticket to HiFi and, while they were trying to diagnose, I decided to see what would happen if I enabled Active Sky but disabled the CMeteoXml.  After disabling the CMeteoXml, the freezes stopped so I apologized to HiFi and told them the problem was fixed.  Evidently the CMeteoXml does not like storms or any heavy weather and will cause the freeze or crash.   Sometimes not but I do know that I know longer have the issue when the CMeteoXml is disabled.

This is one reason why I recommend one disable the dll.xml and exe.xml and try the flight again.  If the flight is successful, you know it is in one of the modules.  I see very few crashes as a result of scenery except in P3DV4 where the applications went from 32-bit to 64-bit.  Gauges made with 32-bit apps will not work in 64-bit apps too.

Hope this helps.

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim

Thanks for very interesting explanations and always pleasure to hear from you! Hope all is well with you and your fine Avsim organization.  Yikes I have not made screenshot postings for long time!

Regards,

Aharon

• Like 1

signCopy.jpg