Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

Core i9-9900K, High-end Z390 VRM Temperature Test

Yep, I watched that earlier today. Not too impressed with Asus Maximus XI Hero is he, re the VRM's. As he says... okay, not crazy high temp but cheaper boards have cooler VRM's. He's still pretty adamant it's a 4 phase VRM. 

Well I was about to place an order for a Maximus XI hero plus a 1080ti and a 8086K as all the fuss of a couple of weeks ago seemed to have died down but this video certainly throws the cat among the pigeons again.  It's a concern as it seems all the ROG boards have the same (?4 phase) VRM.  Not sure where to go from here as there is a lot about the ASUS boards I like but have just submitted my order less the Hero as the other parts are becoming harder to come by in Australia (esp the 1080ti).  Going to have to do a lot more research to find the right board.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

It's not really a huge deal. Yes, VRM temp is higher than the other boards, but unless you are hammering the board for hours at a time with stress tests it's unlikely to be an issue. Cost wise you are paying more for an inferior VRM setup it seems though. Allthough there's still debate about this.

I would be very surprised if ALL Asus board were designed this way. Is there any fuss re other Asus boards in the lineup?

I always buy Asus, always have, but EVGA boards get great reviews lately. Might be worth checking out. 

Edited by martin-w

All ASUS boards up to the Maximus XI Formula seem to have the same VRM - hence the fuss.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

21 minutes ago, brucewtb said:

All ASUS boards up to the Maximus XI Formula seem to have the same VRM - hence the fuss.

Bruceb

Oh right, didn't realise that. Thought it was just the XI Hero. Thanks Bruce.

Are they saying this applies to previous Asus platforms too, like Z370, so typical for Asus?  I have the X Code, which is the same as the Formula but minus the water cooling facility, so not a consideration me.

Clearly I'm not up to speed. I still don't think it's a huge deal though. I think people panic when they see 10 degrees or so hotter on the VRM's, but the point is that the temps are still within an acceptable range. 

In other news, it's seems some of the board manufactures have been nudging up the BCLK so they score better in reviews. MSI the worst culprit apparently. Not hugely, but enough to give them a slight edge. 

Reminds me of the MCE fiasco.

Edited by martin-w

According to this video from Gamers Nexus, and after discussion with Asus rep, Maximus XI Hero.... definitely 4 phase VRM. 

Hi Martin,

can you you elaborate on what this all means for us poor suckers looking to buy either 9700 or 8086k?

Does this mean the cpus have trouble maintaining voltage and thus clock or over lock speed?

ive always used ASUS boards...perhaps it’s time for a change.

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

2 hours ago, KL Oo said:

Hi Martin,

can you you elaborate on what this all means for us poor suckers looking to buy either 9700 or 8086k?

Does this mean the cpus have trouble maintaining voltage and thus clock or over lock speed?

ive always used ASUS boards...perhaps it’s time for a change.

It means Asus have engaged in a bit of a cost cutting exercise. Despite the fact it's a reasonably pricey board. Apart from that, all it means is that VRM temp will be 10 degrees or so hotter compared to competitors boards. That's not  a big deal as it's still withing an acceptable temp range. It's just that for a board at this price point it's a little surprising.

Any overclock you are likely to do should be totally unaffected. I would say that if anyone has purchased this board, then no big deal, no need to exchange it for something else. Unless perhaps if you happen to be a competitive overclocker, or someone who pushes their rig to the max all the time. 

Thanks Martin. 

Do other Z390 boards from other manafactures also run a 4 phase system or is it just ASUS?

Out of interested was the 370 the same?

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Do other Z390 boards from other manafactures also run a 4 phase system or is it just ASUS?

No. As confirmed in the video I posted above.

What the other manufactures do seem to be doing though is nudging up the BCLK a fraction to gain an advantage in reviews. Also the other manufacturers are exceeding the Intel Turbo Boosting Duration in some way. Which is why the other boards are getting a performance boost in reviews, plus higher temp.   See video below. 

Out of interested was the 370 the same?

I don't think the Z370 platform was the same no, there's been no fuss regarding that as far as I know. Cant be definitive though.