Sign in to follow this  
Alberto Zanot

P3D v4.3 Crash Analysis and final result

During last six months (yes, SIX months) i've been troubleshooting P3D v4.3 because of crashes happening suddenly and not expected.
Test flights done: 623 tests
What happens: after a period range of 45 to 90 minutes, P3D crash to desktop, 95% with no event log, 5% with some DLL failures, but they are not the point (keep on reading).
Scenarios i tested: 
P3D v4.3 fresh install + every in-game settings combinations
P3D v4.2 fresh install + every in-game settings combinations
P3D v4.1 fresh install + every in-game settings combinations
Each of these versions tried with every Nvidia drivers version, from newest 416.34 back to 382.05
Every suggestion in the CTD guide
Every basic and advanced common troubleshooting (i am also a P3D addon developer so i can say i know quite good what i am doing)

As told, sometimes, very rarely, event log come out with some dll faults but considering that i tried every possible scenarios this cannot be taken in consideration (i.e. some NVidia driver versions are known to be not 100% compatible with P3D, and some other well-known situations)

But there is a constant fact in every of the 623 tests i made:

Just one or two seconds before the crash, event log shows this:

Event 916, ESENT
DllHost
(or svchost sometimes) ( "some numbers and letters" ) The beta feature EseDiskFlushConsistency is enabled in ESENT due to the beta site mode settings 0x800000.

So the answer is only one: six months ago my Windows updated, introducing this BETA (...beta... no comment) feature (EseDiskFlushConsistency), and on my system this is causing these crashes.

Since there is no way to disable this beta feature (and reinstalling windows is not an option because this feature will be there again), i am very sad to say that i will give up on playing Prepar3D, once and for all.
Have a nice flight, if you can.

You should post this in the windows support forum instead of here and in the P3D one .

Jorge

That is interesting...and taken under advisement.   I can't help but wonder if you have a hardware issue though.  If it were P3D itself, why wouldn't this cause widespread crashes with all sorts of P3D users?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Might sound great,

but have you tried unplugging then plugging your graphics card?

Edited by arwasairl

@aeronauta I take this as a very nice joke 😄 😄 😄

@Mace i really have no idea. but you know, there are infinite hardware configs... bytheway i've heard of P3D users fighting with ESENT errors.

@arwasairl O_O Really?!?! I will try this! could you motivate your suggestion? thanks

3 minutes ago, Alberto Zanot said:

could you motivate your suggestion?

Oh yeah, it's done

This error is related to Windows and not P3D, do a quick google search and you will see for your self, your disk setup in MBR or GPT? what is your boot setup is well.

I will suggest this (it worked for me) if you didn't already do;

disable XMP (use auto mode) to control your memory in system BIOS.

Edited by penta_a

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

I highly doubt this error has anything to do with P3D as it also appears when P3D is not running. Just google for EseDiskFlushConsistency.

Too sad, but our flightsim is just unstable and will it ever be. My sim also crashes from time to time, usually on every second flight without any chance to determine the cause...

Regards, Sebastian

@ade555 yes infact it is windows related. I think disk is MBR. Boot setup, what do yo mean?

@penta_a Yes, i tried with XMP profile and without. Same result.

@fly_edds Yes, events 916 have nothing to do with P3D, but they make it crash :) They are not caused by P3D, they are caused by Windows, making P3D crash.

3 minutes ago, Alberto Zanot said:

@ade555 yes infact it is windows related. I think disk is MBR. Boot setup, what do yo mean?

@penta_a Yes, i tried with XMP profile and without. Same result.

@fly_edds Yes, events 916 have nothing to do with P3D, but they make it crash :) They are not caused by P3D, they are caused by Windows, making P3D crash.

I'm sure I read somewhere that mbr disk partition have effect on this fault, do you use uefi boot or legacy on your system? 

4 minutes ago, ade555 said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that mbr disk partition have effect on this fault, do you use uefi boot or legacy on your system? 

I can tell you UEFI for sure.

How can i check if disks are MBR or GPT? Are those "inter-changeable"?

Thanks for your help!!

Need to open disk utility tool in Windows or have a quick Google read, I am at work at the moment so is hard to post back right now. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9054b832-d001-4543-b3b0-bcbb729d5f24/esediskflushconsistency-win10-1709?forum=win10itprogeneral

Have a read 2nd to last post, I would suggest if you have been struggling for 6 months I would just wipe the windows disk and do complete fresh install. 

Edited by ade555