Alberto Zanot

P3D v4.3 Crash Analysis and final result

Whenever I reset Windows 10, I backup the Documents, Pictures, and C:\Users\MyUsername\AppData\Roaming folders.  This should be mandatory.  I will also save the folder where my scenery.cfg is located (as you).  I would also make a backup folder named: C Drive Stuff and then go to the C Drive and back up anything FSX/P3D in C:\Program Files (x86) such as 12bPilot, Addon Manager, DXSceneryFixer, Navigraph, PMDG Operations Center, QualityWings, etc.  I have all of my scenery folders located on drives other than the C drive and those drives will not be harmed in any way.  Just C drive. 

If you own any PMDG product, make sure you go into the FMC of each aircraft and deactivate the license.  This will ensure you will be able to reactivate these products after reinstallation.  The same goes with FSDT/FlightBeam stuff.  Read their manuals and make sure you have backed up the registration keys or you may run out of activations and that could be messy.  All other scenery should work properly if linked in the Addon Organizer. 

A Windows reinstall will remove almost everything in the registry so that means you will have to do a lot of reinstalling.  After reinstalling P3DV4, I simply replaced the new Documents and Pictures folders with the ones I backed up.  That should bring back all of your add-on scenery.  You can try to move the folders backed up and move them to C:\Program Files (x86) or C drive as appropriate.  You cannot replace the C:\User Roaming in total.  Move individual files as necessary.

I have done this several times in the past few months and I still ran into problems but mostly trying to get my Outlook and e-mail programs to work properly.  Outlook especially makes it extremely difficult to set up as Microsoft is constantly monitoring your computer to make sure you own their stuff.  If you have a Microsoft Store account like I do, just log into the store and you can download all of your Microsoft stuff.  Again, my problems are mostly associated with non-FS applications. 

In regards to reinstallation of Windows, Microsoft does not make it easy and they have a lot of work to do as their program causes many to have to reinstall Windows.  Even if they tell you during the reset or reinstallation of Windows that FSX or P3D will not have to be reinstalled, they will have to be reinstalled (or at least I had to reinstall them). 

I now set up restore points whenever I have FSX/P3D and my system really running great with no problems whatsoever and name it MyBest.  I would suggest replacing this restore point at least monthly.  It will save a lot of headaches.  Just recently, I decided to use my Microsoft User Account instead of my local account.  When I opened up the Addon Organizer and saved a scenery, it would not allow me to do so.  All of my files had been changed to Read Only and Microsoft would not allow me to remove that restriction.  So I could not add or change anything in the Addon Organizer.  So I went back to the local account and that fixed everything.  There are issues whenever you reinstall Windows 10 but it eventually fixes major problems you might be having with your FSX, P3D or other FS application.

This all might be a good project for one of our talented members - to make a comprehensive guide for uninstalling/reinstalling Windows10.  I would give you credit as the author of the guide much like my AVSIM CTD and FSX Configuration Guides.  The guide would have to be named AVSIM Windows 10 Uninstall/Reinstall Guide for Flight Simulators or something like that.  The guides, once produced, would become the property of AVSIM, Inc.  The guide can be updated as often as you want.  If you are interested, send me a PM and we can discuss.  If we have more than one individual who wants to take on a project like this, I might recommend they work together on the project.

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Jim,

You list of steps for reinstall are great! I would ask that you copy this to a new topic and then pin it. The only additional comment is that we should make a batch script to make the Documents and etc folders easy and do it after each new major P3D addition maybe. I had to reinstall because I couldn't get Windows 10 to startup at all (repair wouldn't work ). At that point, it is really too late to be backing up since the only way to do that is to get a CMD shell running with installation media, do the copying with DOS-like commands, and then reinstall WIndows 10, and reinstall P3D (what a lot of effort!!). THanks for taking the time to make a great list of what's required!

Dave W.

• Like 1

I can crash the system deliberately and I get ESENT errors - all sorts - as a result of inconsistent entries in the DB and they come up before other items in the report.

Since P3D has many processes, some take many second to complete, it's still very possible that the error is a result of P3D crashing.

Edited by SteveW

After a deeper analysis, i was not considerating to monitor the hardware in a better way.
So, P3D CTD with no messages and no event log, after the GPU is hitting 100% for too long time...
Reading a post here in Avsim, i found out that setting my monitor to 30hz and Vsync and TB in game, i can have a smooth constant 30fps and never hitting 100% GPU. In this exact moment i am testing this setup. I will report.

EDIT 1: i still hit 100% GPU in some random cases. Let's see.

Edited by Alberto Zanot

Time-out on GPU transfers could do it. Unlimited with no vsync or frame limit is a mistake other than in testing anyway. With the latest version of P3D not using a limit of some sort can even cause several problems, fluttering of the screen is one example.

Have a look at these install notes:

http://www.codelegend.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

Edited by SteveW

Status update 2: Looks like Adaptive Power management mode in Nvidia settings help to keep GPU load under 100%

Test still running nicely

I tried lot of drivers version, but never changed nothing, all defaults. Maybe i am going to understand the problem on my system.

Edited by Alberto Zanot