Sign in to follow this  

A messy kitchen, 9900K UK edition, 85F but chilly inside

16 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

No, ThermalTake W200 + P200 ... it's the only case big enough for what I needed and currently available.

Looking at the photos, I can't stop and wonder what is coming into this case except the main hardware? Since I see the radiators / water are already in... so what's going to fill the rest of space? All flash NVME accelerated storage-array?

But honestly, an awesome build!

Edited by SimonC

1 hour ago, scottb613 said:

Did you notify the power company to expect surges on their lines

You can't see it in my pics, but there is a Furman M8S power-on delay unit so each "stage" of power ON is staggered … pumps go on first, then the chiller, then the MB with a single push of a button … get the CPU cool before it gets power.  This should prevent power surge also.

37 minutes ago, SimonC said:

I can't stop and wonder what is coming into this case except the main hardware?

Yeah, that MB does look tiny in the case … there's another 1600W power supply going in the upper W200 unit, 4X 3 channel Fan/Temp controllers, a few more fans, a few old school HD racks (2X 10TB HDDs - offline PR scenery because I have a strong "feeling" I'll be needing lots of space for PR soon), the main drives are Samsung 970/960 EVO's M.2's - 1X 2TB and 1X 1TB that are on the MB.  Once all the hoses and wires are all connected it'll look more "full".

I'll try to keep it reasonably "tidy" inside, but it'll be the ugly duckling compared to some of the artwork cases/builds I've seen over the years.  It's definitely not a "looker" but should be very functional and easy to maintain, hinged doors, and simple lever locks to remove radiators with inline quick disconnects (no or very little fluid loss) and re-usable for future projects.  My first pic at beginning of thread shows the quick disconnect inline of the tubing … this is key part of making the unit very flexible and easy to maintain.

I'm hoping it'll be a good base for long term re-use as new CPU's/MB's/GPUs come out in the future.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for showing your build process! That motherboard looks so tiny in that case! 😁

Half the fun is building a system like this!!!

Hmm...  I am excited for this CPU. Its my 3 year turn which means, I feel entitled for a new build for Simming. I try not to build short of 3 years from one PC to another.

What I am interested is in how much it can overclock. especially how far we can go on the first 1 or 2 cores only and tone down the other 6 cores to like 4.5Ghz? maybe.  or even down to 4.0Ghz. would we then crank up the first 2 core or thread to 5.5Ghz? :)

For P3D v4.x that would help. For texture loading we have 6 cores running at 4-4.5Ghz and the first two cores for the primary running at 5.5Ghz? Wouldn't that be better than all 8 cores running at 5Ghz-5.2Ghz?

Edited by Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

My 9900K CPU did arrive yesterday … very quick delivery from DHL considering it was from UK (Overclockers UK) to US (CA and customs) … shipped Friday (11/2) arrived Monday (11/5) … thanks to currency exchange rates the price was only about $21 more than if I'd got it from Newegg or Amazon (which are still out of stock).

9900KTrayCPUweb.thumb.jpg.7aae9818429aaac9f2d911523d3e7440.jpg

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: Tray unit so no fancy box.

LOL! And Now it begins! Good Luck Rob.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

8 minutes ago, SimonC said:

why tray?

Why not?  But choice is very limited … hence getting one from the UK.

Cheers, Rob.

Has your wife told you what you are getting her for Christmas yet? :laugh:

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Yes, the new iPad Pro coming out this week … but we just paid down our house recently with a big bunch of cash … which went 80/20 … I'm the 80 … so this is my short window of opportunity right now and I'm taking advantage of it 🙂 … but there are rumblings and she ain't happy about me taking over the Kitchen area … so I need to finish this project up soon or the "cost" will go UP.

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Why not?  But choice is very limited … hence getting one from the UK.

Cheers, Rob.

Warranty-Limitations?

I'm the great "voider" of warranties … that's a term my wife uses when she discusses anything I'm "working on".  Not really concerned.

Cheers, Rob.

Ah OK. Well, in any case, I'm very into getting a 9900K to replace the 6700k, which is currently at 4.8Ghz (also water-cooled).

Interested in seeing what you can do Rob. 

I just received my 9700k. I just started testing my over-clock and I think I may have got a below average CPU. So far I am at 5.0GHZ on all cores but having to use 1.375v to get there. The temps are not bad with a max of 81c using an EVGA CLC 280. 

Tim Curtis

MSFS2020, i7-9900k 5.0Ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080, 48" LG OLED CX