Sign in to follow this  

A messy kitchen, 9900K UK edition, 85F but chilly inside

1 hour ago, Taver said:

Interested in seeing what you can do Rob

Yeah, who knows … the variants in reports from good to bad to ugly would either suggest "end user" error or high degree of inconsistency with fabrication process … but I'll remain optimistic and see what I can do with this CPU.

Yield problems on 14nm doesn't bode well for 10nm.  Smaller may mean potentially higher frequency but with less ability to dissipate heat Intel seems to be stuck in a dichotomy.

Cheers, Rob.

14 hours ago, Taver said:

I just received my 9700k. I just started testing my over-clock and I think I may have got a below average CPU. So far I am at 5.0GHZ on all cores but having to use 1.375v to get there. The temps are not bad with a max of 81c using an EVGA CLC 280. 

Update your BIOS to the latest version. Very important with new platforms. Performance updates usually come quite fast and make a big difference.

You haven't said which board, but if you run a stress test prior to any manual overclocking, it will tell Asus Ai Overclock what your CPU can do and you will see a prediction  at the bottom right of the UEFI. Might not be spot on, but you will get an idea of what sort of voltage you might require. 

1.375 volts isn't excessively high. I've seen binned silicon lottery chips at 1.350. And a bit early to say what average voltage for 5 GHz is. 81c when doing what? In game or during a stress test?

And which stress test? Running AVX or not?

Have you set an AVX offset?

HT on or off?

And whats your ambient temp? 

Edited by martin-w

14 hours ago, martin-w said:

Update your BIOS to the latest version. Very important with new platforms. Performance updates usually come quite fast and make a big difference.

You haven't said which board, but if you run a stress test prior to any manual overclocking, it will tell Asus Ai Overclock what your CPU can do and you will see a prediction  at the bottom right of the UEFI. Might not be spot on, but you will get an idea of what sort of voltage you might require. 

1.375 volts isn't excessively high. I've seen binned silicon lottery chips at 1.350. And a bit early to say what average voltage for 5 GHz is. 81c when doing what? In game or during a stress test?

And which stress test? Running AVX or not?

Have you set an AVX offset?

HT on or off?

And whats your ambient temp? 

I have tweaked a little more and got the voltage down to 1.360 and the temp down to 78c MAX at 5.0Ghz all cores no AVX offset. This is running Prime95 for 35 minutes without AVX instructions. 

No HT because the i7 9700k doesn't have HT. Ambient Temp is 70 Fahrenheit. 

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Ultra

So getting better. 

Edited by Taver

Tim Curtis

MSFS2020, i7-9900k 5.0Ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080, 48" LG OLED CX

11 hours ago, Taver said:

I have tweaked a little more and got the voltage down to 1.360 and the temp down to 78c MAX at 5.0Ghz all cores no AVX offset. This is running Prime95 for 35 minutes without AVX instructions. 

No HT because the i7 9700k doesn't have HT. Ambient Temp is 70 Fahrenheit. 

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Ultra

So getting better. 

You might be running the Prime version that doesn't runs AVX, but Prime, dependant on  settings, is still quite stressful. 78C under those circumstances, at your ambient seem fine to me. I wouldn't say you have a particularly bad CPU at all. Don't forget, that you are running at 5 GHz on all cores. Intel Turbo is deigned to only run two of those cores at the max Turbo frequency and only if those two cores are the only corers active. So with that in mind it's a reasonable overclock. In fact the all core frequency is 4.6 GHz. 

in time, with further BIOIS updates you may well see improved performance. 

Edited by martin-w

I woke up this morning to an email from Amazon stating that my i9-9900k would be delivered today.  That's great news, other than the fact that I'm 500 miles away visiting my oldest daughter and grandsons until Sunday.  Amazon has no option to hold delivery; only to deliver to a neighbor instead.  I emailed my next door neighbor that it will be delivered to their house.  I hope they're home.  <sigh>

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

Interested to see what you’re able to achieve with your setup Rob. I think the refrigeration unit will certainly help! Have a nice weekend of playing.

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

Well, I hope you guys can indeed get some good results with your set-up on the 9700k and/or 9900K  cause most of the benchmarks seen online, are indicating performance difference is about 1 or 2 fps increase compared to the previous CPU.. and this is overclocking these processors  with "some polar freezing" equipment which only achieved around 5.3Ghz.  That my friend is a useless piece of CPU. 

I got my I-7  8086K, and was able to overclock it (water cooling- no $3,000/ freeze equipment to achieve another 100Mhz) to 5.3Ghz.  My sim never looked so good. It's the first CPU that has made a significant increase in performance for P3D.  

9 hours ago, joemiller said:

with "some polar freezing" equipment which only achieved around 5.3Ghz.  That my friend is a useless piece of CPU. 

It's the building process Joe, we already know what the results will be.  When I was racing, I'd go to extremes to reduce vehicle weight in search of lower HP:Weight numbers ... get that extra 1/10th to 2/10th sec lap time ... PC building is much of the same for that extra 100-300Mhz.  It's really the process, not so much the performance results.

But in my case, I'm not "freezing" equipment, a chiller doesn't do that, it just reduces coolant temps below ambient.  LN2 is the "freeze" process.

Cheers, Rob.

How are you handling condensation with a chiller? As you will be significantly below ambient being a very daring and scary guy. 😉

Or are you wimping out and setting temp above the dew point? 

Edited by martin-w

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

Or are you wimping out and setting temp above the dew point?

Dew point in my part of the world is typically around 37F (30.1 inches @ 30% humidity) ... so I'll add some safety margin aim for about 40-42 F.

Cheers, Rob.

So around 5C. Sounds like a sensible strategy.

It's about 8C the dew point in UK, usually.  

Edited by martin-w

How are you getting on @Rob Ainscough?

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

Odd I thought I had posted some updated pics (must be getting old or in the wrong thread, oops) ... I ran out of quick disconnects so had to stop, news batch of them will be arriving today (Tuesday).

Also made a mistake in one of my tube connections with disconnect in the wrong spot (see if you can spot it) ... easy to fix without coolant yet.

W200P200_1.thumb.jpg.9081daaf957152f417749bd3ada0e6b5.jpgW200P200_2.thumb.jpg.c95a5929d6d75aacc1669117d948b49e.jpgW200P200_3.thumb.jpg.60df04991de2e1594e98f9e2604b67dd.jpg

Cheers, Rob.