Sign in to follow this  

A messy kitchen, 9900K UK edition, 85F but chilly inside

UPDATE:

• Kitchen is still messy.
  • Installed the EK 2080Ti water-blocks and back plates
  • All lines are now connected
  • CPU, RAM, M.2's installed

Tomorrow I'll connect wiring and fill with coolant and check for leaks and run the pumps and chiller.  If all is good, I connect power to the MB and then I'll tidy up the wiring.  And finally start the OS install after I update the BIOS.  OC testing will come after OS install.

W200P200_16.thumb.jpg.92febbc80f400839eed05910c8929c6b.jpg

W200P200_17.thumb.jpg.83ae95a421cbb6b3cc32e75cb46f8cf2.jpg

W200P200_18.thumb.jpg.9ba3e51d0796f1fa3936c4f3f9f26d1f.jpg

W200P200_19.thumb.jpg.c8202dd8d02642a8475068b6c99083e1.jpg

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Planning on getting the i7 9700K. Which Ram are you using as I can decide on that... ?

THANK YOU,

Greg

too much, too soon....

9 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

omorrow I'll connect wiring and fill with coolant and check for leaks and run the pumps and chiller.  If all is good, I connect power to the MB and then I'll tidy up the wiring.  And finally start the OS install after I update the BIOS.  OC testing will come after OS install.

OK Rob....you are the winner! I am officially declaring that you have the longest hose in flight sims. 👽 I can't wait for the Fox News Alert about the huge power failure around your home.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Our house is solar, but with so much smoke in the air, we're not generating much power.

After solving my PSU power cable issues, all it working well ... now it's time to install latest BIOS and Win10 1803 ... then let the overclocking start ... leak/power test and chiller test:

Cheers, Rob.

Very interesting Rob, I enjoyed that. Great to see something different for a change, a less than usual setup. 

The ugly duckling ... now the fun starts, lets see how well I can avoid condensation with CPU under load.  Keep in mind I also have about 47 USB devices to connect and they'll add stress to power loads even with powered hubs.

Cheers, Rob.

41 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I also have about 47 USB devices to connect and they'll add stress to power loads even with powered hubs.

Cheers, Rob.

I thought I had a lot with 8!  Looking forward to your results.

Matt Wilson

OS installed and I've started the OC process, XMP I or II profile didn't boot so probably going to toss those out the window, let AI optimize and it came up with very different settings for RAM CL15 running at about 4300MHz with CPU at 5.3Ghz and 9-10 C under load, GPU's were at 23-27C under load.  Coolant temp on CPU loop is 42-44 F and no signs of condensation.

EDIT: there always seems to be something new with EFI/BIOS ... ASUS have a "cooler" rating value, no idea how it's calculated ... mine shows up as 218 points, whatever that means?  It also has "predicted" settings based on ??

Time Spy did BSOD, so now I start the manual OC process ... to be fair, I didn't think XMP or ASUS's AI optimization would work (they've never worked for me in the past).

The Koolance Chiller fans are louder than I would have liked, but fortunately I use noise cancelling headphones otherwise it would be a problem.  

Onwards with manual OC and will report back later.

Cheers, Rob.

I mentioned you should try the new Ai Overclock a while ago. It tells you to run stress tests I recall and bases its estimates on that. If you don't run stress tests it just bases its estimates of the systems potential on what you have done. f you switch on Ai Overclock, it constantly monitors your rig and modifies the OC based on cooling (so dust build up etc) ambient temp and other parameters.

The 218 rating is just for comparative purposes.

I have posted videos on this recently.

Stunning temps. 🙂

Edited by martin-w

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

OS installed and I've started the OC process, XMP I or II profile didn't boot so probably going to toss those out the window, let AI optimize and it came up with very different settings for RAM CL15 running at about 4300MHz with CPU at 5.3Ghz and 9-10 C under load, GPU's were at 23-27C under load.  Coolant temp on CPU loop is 42-44 F and no signs of condensation.

EDIT: there always seems to be something new with EFI/BIOS ... ASUS have a "cooler" rating value, no idea how it's calculated ... mine shows up as 218 points, whatever that means?  It also has "predicted" settings based on ??

Time Spy did BSOD, so now I start the manual OC process ... to be fair, I didn't think XMP or ASUS's AI optimization would work (they've never worked for me in the past).

The Koolance Chiller fans are louder than I would have liked, but fortunately I use noise cancelling headphones otherwise it would be a problem.  

Onwards with manual OC and will report back later.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

XMP was also a no-go on my TridentZ 4400's.  I ended up at 4000 17-17-17-37 @ 1.35V.  I only made one attempt to go higher.  I may return to it once I have everything else to my liking.

My EVGA CLC 280 AIO was rated at 190.  It can change over time.  I think the AI overclocking uses that as one of it's parameters.  I just ordered an Asus Ryujin 360, which became available on Amazon (sold & shipped by) today.  I'll see if there's much difference between AIO's.  RealBench for 15 minutes will push my 5.0GHz synced cores to 81-86C.  My P3D temps stay mostly in the 50-60's, with peaks in the upper 70's.  Prime95 pushes into thermal throttling territory pretty quickly with small FFTs.

30 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I mentioned you should try the new Ai Overclock a while ago. It tells you to run stress tests I recall and bases its estimates on that. If you don't run stress tests it just bases its estimates of the systems potential on what you have done. f you switch on Ai Overclock, it constantly monitors your rig and modifies the OC based on cooling (so dust build up etc) ambient temp and other parameters.

The 218 rating is just for comparative purposes.

I have posted videos on this recently.

Stunning temps. 🙂

Martin,

I tried AI overclocking briefly, but abandoned it after it set my TridentZ's to 1.6V for 3600MHz.  I went back to manual mode (No AI and MCE off).  I'm currently testing P3D with all cores synced to 5.0GHz, HT off.

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

13 minutes ago, LRW said:

My EVGA CLC 280 AIO was rated at 190

I'm at 228 rating now, I left the AI monitoring enabled.  But the Silicon rating value is no where to be found in my UEFI?  I've got my Tridents at 4000 CL18 @ 1.40v.  5.1 GHz all cores with HT enabled at 1.450v.  The XMP profiles should have worked "as is" so I suspect ASUS need some additional UEFI revs.  Thanks for your information, please do report back on any findings you may have. 

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

I mentioned you should try the new Ai Overclock a while ago

I did try it, but per Larry it had my CPU at 5.7Ghz at one point at 1.3v ... that just wasn't gonna fly and it didn't.  I was using Real Bench, Cinebench R15, and Time Spy as my "learning" apps.  I'm gonna see what I can do manual method first and then try the AI optimized OC at a later date.  My guess is we're gonna need another UEFI update that supports more RAM modules and has better "AI" learning.

Cheers, Rob.

20 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

But the Silicon rating value is no where to be found in my UEFI?

That was shown in mine when I first started up.  But it was gone after I did the 0602 update.  Apparently it was only on the first/early versions.  Mine showed 118%, FWIW.

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

Interesting ... I never noticed the value on first boot, I went straight to UEFI update to 0602.

Here is my Time Spy results at 5.1Ghz 4000Mhz HT ON 2080Ti NVlink/SLI (CPU temps peaked at 47C):

TimeSpy_5.1Ghz_4000Mhz_2080Ti_SLI_HTON.thumb.jpg.34ae5808ad0a51e12288c977c1536d99.jpg

I'll use AI Suite III to continue tuning and see what happens ... I'll do this round of testing with HT ON to figure potential, then do another round with HT OFF.

EDIT: CPU score was 11,398, GPU score 26,573 (might be hard to read from graphic).  Cinebench R15 score was 2177 all cores for CPU test.

Cheers, Rob.

Upto 5.3Ghz HT ON 4000Mhz all cores ... will continue CPU v same 1.45 ... once I get this sorted I go back to adaptive and check droop to set max min and see if I can get stability. 

5.4Ghz next ... but gotta head out now.

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

My guess is we're gonna need another UEFI update that supports more RAM modules and has better "AI" learning.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes that would make sense. If the old 5WO is anything to go by it usually took a few BIOS updates before it performed optimally.