Sign in to follow this  

A messy kitchen, 9900K UK edition, 85F but chilly inside

So what defines active exactly?  In P3D all cores will be active all the time, so LCD setting will always be used and hence a pointless “feature” for P3D.

But thanks for clarification, I’ll not waste any more time on per core setting ... test results do indeed bare this out.  So this is how Intel justify X series cost vs. K series with silly artificial gimmicks like this?

This just makes me hope AMD can turn it up a notch, they’re close now.  Of course if AMD can beat the king  they’ll adopt Intel prices just as they did many years ago.

Cheers, Rob

9 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

In P3D all cores will be active all the time, 

Cheers, Rob

Yep, so will always be at the frequency you set for all cores active. 

I dont think it was always that way. Think its just recent generation CPU's

29 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

So what defines active exactly?  In P3D all cores will be active all the time, so LCD setting will always be used and hence a pointless “feature” for P3D.

But thanks for clarification, I’ll not waste any more time on per core setting ... test results do indeed bare this out.  So this is how Intel justify X series cost vs. K series with silly artificial gimmicks like this?

This just makes me hope AMD can turn it up a notch, they’re close now.  Of course if AMD can beat the king  they’ll adopt Intel prices just as they did many years ago.

Cheers, Rob

Rob....Thanks for taking us all on this little trip into LA LA land. Sorry it did not turn out better. It has been interesting and a great sanity check for those of us who for what ever reason have been waving the BS flag. AMD may be able to find some way to claim themselves the winner but I am not sure they can get much more out of today's tech but, it will be fun to watch. Thanks again for sharing the experience.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1X 16 PCIe lane, handicapped per core settings, 5.4Ghz cap with HT, and ASUS trying to focus on "adaptive" (and/or AI that doesn't work) and power savings as the next best features ... sorry just not impressed.  My G.Skill 4400 was XMP 2.0.  Exact model not listed in QVL, but that's fairly normal since RAM manufacturers constantly changing model numbers especially for their "high" rated memory (changes almost daily so unlikely to be in a QVL).

So what's next for AMD for desktop computing?  I assume we'll not see any Intel X series CPUs until 2020?

Glad I made my case/build with quick disconnects with a purpose of easy to swap out components ... I may just swap this MB/CPU combo out for something with more PCIe lanes.

Cheers, Rob.

19 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Rob....Thanks for taking us all on this little trip into LA LA land. Sorry it did not turn out better.

Haha, it's my job 🙂  

I had higher expectations, but after reading reviews I dialed that back somewhat so it wasn't such a surprise at 5.4Ghz cap ... I'm just baffled at the focus being on power savings for a desktop computer ... it's feel like "we give up, but hey look at all these cool real-time adaptive/AI power savings features".  When I used to race RW, the objective was to go as fast as possible, not figure out the best way for me to conserve fuel.  I know how to conserve fuel, I have an EV for that ... the purpose for desktop computing should be about performance.

My 2 cents,

But this build was more about the fun of the process and getting everything to work the way I wanted it to work even if the end results of CPU performance was somewhat lack luster ... I'm sure with more tweaking and a few UEFI updates from ASUS and I'll be able to get 5.5Ghz all cores HT on ... but I'll not notice a 100Mhz difference in P3D.

Cheers, Rob.

Just trying to remember what my prediction was. 5.4 wasn't it? You dont have to give the the prize I asked for though. 😀

You’re easy to please.  I don’t think it was you, the man from the west I think?

Cheers Rob

So more testing, Time Spy CPU test is the AVX intensive test that will skyrocket CPU temps ... still trying to figure out how to work this test.  Bumped Cache frequency up and made a few gains ... anyone tried adjusting the TDP limits - wondering if I'm hitting those limits but that shouldn't BSOD, would expect throttling?  ASUS suggest making this higher for OC (max value of 4096) ... value is in Watts.  But under Time Spy I do hit 100C when the CPU test starts even with AVX set to 4 (so from 5.4Ghz to 5Ghz under AVX).  

Cheers, Rob.

49 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

So more testing, Time Spy CPU test is the AVX intensive test that will skyrocket CPU temps ... still trying to figure out how to work this test.  Bumped Cache frequency up and made a few gains ... anyone tried adjusting the TDP limits - wondering if I'm hitting those limits but that shouldn't BSOD, would expect throttling?  ASUS suggest making this higher for OC (max value of 4096) ... value is in Watts.  But under Time Spy I do hit 100C when the CPU test starts even with AVX set to 4 (so from 5.4Ghz to 5Ghz under AVX).  

Cheers, Rob.

Yes, mine was throttling back to as low as 4.1 before I set several parameters to max values:

• Long Duration Package Power Limit = 4095
  • Package Power Time Window = 127
  • Short Duration Package Power Limit = 4095
  • CPU Core/Cache Current Limit = 255.75
  • CPU Current Capacity = 170%
  • DRAM Current Capacity = 130%
  • VRM Spread Spectrum = Disabled

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

Hi Rob,

When do you plan on testing P3D ?

too much, too soon....

Hi Gregory,

Today (this afternoon) ... need to find a stable sweet spot ... which oddly seems to be 5.2Ghz 4000Mhz RAM and 4.6Ghz Cache.  Lowering the CPU frequency and increasing the Cache frequency seemed to provide the overall best performance.  There was a point of diminishing returns beyond 4.6Ghz Cache frequency ... I was able to go upto 5Ghz on Cache frequency but CPU scores stopped improving significantly after 4.6Ghz Cache frequency.

Time Spy results I settled on:

TimeSpy_5.2.thumb.jpg.683cdfacc370df31724bbbca9a3fd9e4.jpg

Tight fit in my limit SimPit space:

thumbnail_IMG_6867.thumb.jpg.07f5450e83022973d467912e6c0b59f5.jpg

We had a change in dew point here (raining) which was at 57F and I was running at 48F ... fortunately I caught the condensation before it caused any issues (thank goodness I put backing plates on my 2080Ti's).  Dew point is back down today so back to 48F setting ... but time to go get a weather unit I can stick to the front of the case that shows dew point.

Will report back my P3D results later today.

Cheers, Rob.

Wow! Looking good!  Oh, and don't invite me over ....most guaranteed to spill coffee  .......on something(s).

Glad you found a happy spot with the build. And Yeah, I kinda feel bad about not mentioning anything about the dew point last week  ...but hey, it was 200+ days since our last rain ...who would'uh thunk it. 🙂

Maybe a coffee spill will make it faster with some caffeine.

i have two ways to deal with higher dew point:

1.  Turn on 480 rad fans, this will heat up coolant temps and also cool down room temp

2.  Turn down Koolance chiller (already at close to min adjustment)

i think the larger external standalone Koolance chillers auto monitor dew point and adjust accordingly.

Given the efficiency of this Koolance chiller, I may run it thru VRM and GPU - single loop.

Weather station secured with Dew Point readings ... more rain due next week.

Cheers Rob

17 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Given the efficiency of this Koolance chiller, I may run it thru VRM and GPU - single loop.

I did wonder why you didn’t do that from the beginning. My i9-9900k and Maximus Xi Formula are running XP11 solidly and I’m now able to run much smoother and have objects to maximum. Happy camper here.

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

17 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Maybe a coffee spill will make it faster with some caffeine.

i have two ways to deal with higher dew point:

1.  Turn on 480 rad fans, this will heat up coolant temps and also cool down room temp

2.  Turn down Koolance chiller (already at close to min adjustment)

i think the larger external standalone Koolance chillers auto monitor dew point and adjust accordingly.

Weather station secured with Dew Point readings ... more rain due next week.

Cheers Rob

Thanks for your tests, i pass on this CPU think it not give much compared to my 5.1ghz 7920x i prefer that one over my second sim pc 8700k 5.4 ghz 

anyway your system is very vey nice, keep up the good work