Sign in to follow this  

A messy kitchen, 9900K UK edition, 85F but chilly inside

Personally I'd go 8086K. They are binned 8700K's, so much more likely that you will hit decent clocks on all cores at decent voltage and thus decent temp.

Don't expect miracles though, the 6700K is a decent CPU. 

Edited by martin-w

37 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I went from 2700k to 6700k (3 years span and 3 generations of CPU) and saw a massive improvement in performance in P3D v3.X Wondering why this should not be a case with 6700-9900 transition?

PS. I'm not arguing, just wondering whether an investment makes sense hence it's not the CPU alone, but MB+RAM+M2 drive and whole nine yards 🙂

Edited by G-YMML1

19 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

Wondering why this should not be a case with 6700-9900 transition?

Over time LM moved tasks in P3d  such as scenery loading and AI traffic to cores other than core 0. Other tasks were offloaded to the GPU. But the main thread that controls the program is still on core 0, and that core is often running close to 100%. Some people see this as a design flaw, but it's mostly an artifact from a time when game developers were relying on the CPU and not the GPU.

Intel pretty much reached a plateau in single core performance with the i7 4790k processor. That's not to say that recent CPUs arent faster. It's just that the improvements are not substantial. Intel seems content to develop CPUs with multiple cores that also conserve energy. Gaming and high end desktop computing are not Intel's priority. They seem pretty focused on servers and the automobile platform.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

Wondering why this should not be a case with 6700-9900 transition?

It depends on whether or not you've overclocked your 6700k and, if so, by how much. As Jay says above, single thread performance is still very important for flight sims and, clock-for-clock, the 6700k is only about 4% worse than the 9900k - see the IPC / Single thread chart here: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i9_9900k_processor_review,7.html. As clock speed seems to have a fairly linear relationship with performance in sims, if you overclock your 6700k to 4.6GHz (which should be easily achievable) you should be within about 10% of the 9900k running at it's stock turbo speed. For most of us that would probably translate to less than 5 FPS extra. The extra cores of the 9900k may contribute a little more, but if that's collectively worth the cost of the new CPU and motherboard (and, probably, faster RAM) only you can decide.

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thank you guys. Perhaps I'd stick with my current set-up for some time. I just have though that since clean 4.4 install is inevitable, I would have replaced my current hardware set-up as well that I'm constantly implementing each 3 years. Perhaps this time it's worth to wait for another year.   

On the other hand I know for 100% that 6700k is capable to handle 4.6 OC easily and I have been running this freq. for 3 years without any issues (knock on a wood). Had I known that I might have the same happiness and peace of mind with 9900k + 5.0 OC, I would stick with 9900k as 400Mhz increase should be significant bump for P3D performance. 

Edited by G-YMML1

24 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Gaming and high end desktop computing are not Intel's priority.

Absolutely true, that's one reason (not the only) they are short on 9900K CPUs ... although desktop computers growth increased in 2018 and I'd be surprised if Intel was somehow "unaware" of desktop growth ... most likely committed to other areas (mobile/servers) and wasn't going to change direction or do any re-allocation of resources.  Is the door wide enough open for AMD to take the top spot?  They've go until Q2 2019 if Intel make good on their CPU promises.

On the 6xxx series CPUs, they're dogs, not sure what it is, I have a 6900K at work and it's benchmark scores are very low relative to the 9900K ... my hunch is the Meltdown/Spectre virus and subsequent OS/EFI patches may have impacted th 6xxx series of CPU more than others.  So if you are going from a 6700 to 9900, I would expect you'd see a rather dramatic FPS improvement.

Cheers, Rob.

Dunno, my Passmark single core score is almost identical to that posted for the 6700 on the Passmark website. And the processor scales up nicely to 4.6, although I run it day to day on water at 4.4. It seems to run fine in P3d4 with most of the IQ settings on the high end. The only problems I have are with dense overcast and that's probably a GPU issue. I'll wait for the 2080ti prices to fall. No new mobo etc. for me this year.

8 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The only problems I have are with dense overcast and that's probably a GPU issue. I'll wait for the 2080ti prices to fall. No new mobo etc. for me this year.

True. 

Overcast is 100% GPU issue. I had terrible times with 980Ti in dense overcast and it was a huge relief when I replaced it with 1080Ti using the same CPU (6700k). Perhaps 2080Ti would bring more performance, but obviously not at $1.5k price tag. 

On the 6xxx series CPUs, they're dogs, not sure what it is, I have a 6900K at work and it's benchmark scores are very low relative to the 9900K ... my hunch is the Meltdown/Spectre virus and subsequent OS/EFI patches may have impacted th 6xxx series of CPU more than others.  So if you are going from a 6700 to 9900, I would expect you'd see a rather dramatic FPS improvement.

Dunno, my Passmark single core score is almost identical to that posted for the 6700 on the Passmark website. And the processor scales up nicely to 4.6, although I run it day to day on water at 4.4. It seems to run fine in P3d4 with most of the IQ settings on the high end.

....and what I'm supposed to do with these two judgments?! 🙂

PS. And yes, I'm more than happy with my 6700k@4.6 right now. I fly heavy metal 100% of the time (FSL/PMDG) with 100% custom-made AI, FSDT/FB airports...FTX/AS and other typical stuff

Edited by G-YMML1

It would be great compare the Ryzen 2700X with i9 9900k in P3D v4.4

In spain is 319€ vs 639€ if you think in money numbers.

14 hours ago, G-YMML1 said:

deleted

Edited by martin-w

On 12/3/2018 at 2:31 PM, G-YMML1 said:

Guys,

Let me ask you a question. I'm on 6700k right now with a very conservative 4.7OC. I'm planning to upgrade to 9900k in the nearest future (perhaps this year) and I presume that 5.0 will be easy target for me assuming that additional cooling will be added and only two parameters will be altered - the multiplier and the voltage.  Not planning to chase 5.3-5.4 heights and I don't have any other "games" installed on the machine. 

Thanks

Dmitriy 

Hello Dmitriy,

I had a 6700K @4.8 HT off, and I now have a 9900K @5.1 HT off.
And I can assure you that I see a drastic change in P3D, fps and smoothness wise.
To be honest I've never been that happy (and broke..!) after a PC upgrade, average every 3 years.

But the most spectacular change was after replacing the GPU, 2 months ago.
Jumping from a 1080 (not Ti) to a 2080Ti already allowed me to increase settings and enjoy P3D in all its glory.
Although less fluid than today (stable frame rate with PMDG liners and FS Labs Bus on complex sceneries and heavy weather), it was already a quantum leap.
Hope it helps 🙂

Edited by David Roch

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

7 hours ago, David Roch said:

I had a 6700K @4.8 HT off, and I now have a 9900K @5.1 HT off.
And I can assure you that I see a drastic change in P3D, fps and smoothness wise.

Did you reinstall Windows when you upgraded? A clean installation of Windows usually give quite a dramatic improvement in general performance even if you keep the same hardware.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Sure, I've reinstalled Windows and P3D.
I did few Win10 reinstall with my previous rig and believe me, the improvement I talk about is much more spectacular.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

On 12/3/2018 at 10:22 AM, martin-w said:

Personally I'd go 8086K. They are binned 8700K's, so much more likely that you will hit decent clocks on all cores at decent voltage and thus decent temp.

Edited by joemiller