Sign in to follow this  

A messy kitchen, 9900K UK edition, 85F but chilly inside

Thought I'd share the on-going PC build ...

• wife not happy
  • had to get a 9900K from the UK even though Intel is 1 hour drive away
  • It's 85F out in November but chilly inside 

Having some fun ... hopefully done by weekend of 11/17 (CPU should arrive next week as it has shipped from UK to CA) ... more pictures and video to follow.

ThermaleTakeP200_2.thumb.jpg.f0def0cb438683a470f9bc1b742096b5.jpg

ThermaleTakeW200_1.thumb.jpg.8bbcdedcb9ccfbc991a6ff78af2d0dc6.jpg

KitchenMess1.thumb.jpg.3c3c8869aba75dd0bf12ab370cd58644.jpg

KitchenMess2.thumb.jpg.94aa309ac70964391d42c01ddca5a331.jpg

KitchenMess3.thumb.jpg.f0a3f94b3ad104e413a3bd8e595082ff.jpg

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: some assembly required...

Looks great Rob....well, perhaps not from the wife’s perspective. 

Cant wait for some benchmarks,

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Is that a Caselabs case I spy?

Such a pity they shut down. 

Pump/res combo or separate? 

Wife not happy, is part of flightsim components. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I think Rob needs to inform his wife, that given his interest in all things hardware and regular tinkering...that a separate extensively equipped extension to the property is required as a tech workshop.

Tell her I said it's okay.

Goodness, come to realize we have two hobbies:  Flight Simulation and building computers (along with overclocking).Geez, I guess we are all guilty of this (or most of us).

- Time working on increasing computer performance and tweaking=  75%  

- Time spent Flying=  25%  

But wait there's more: 

How can a $50.00 piece of software make us spend nearly  $3,000 every 2 years on average?  And even though we know Intel is fooling us right-in-face, we keep buying their "latest" CPUs just to find out that the performance increase vs the previous CPU  is 2 or  3 FPS.. 

What are we thinking ????  🤔🤑

• Like 2

When I was an active glider pilot I had 20 to 30 flights a year. The ratio of time on the ground at the airfield to time in the air was about 7 to 1 but the time on the ground is a lot of work and good times too and it cost me on average about $3000 a year and that Included glider rental. Puts the hobby into perspective, does it not?

How can a $50.00 piece of software make us spend nearly  $3,000 every 2 years on average?  And even though we know Intel is fooling us right-in-face, we keep buying their "latest" CPUs just to find out that the performance increase vs the previous CPU  is 2 or  3 FPS.. 

If I were a Buddhist, I might say it's related to the "second noble truth". 

We crave new things, new pleasures, greater entertainment. We have a strong desire to please our senses. So we crave the latest greatest PC component in the hope it will bring us flight sim nirvana... only to be disappointed after we habituate to the pleasure of an increase in frame rate or better eye candy and look at our credit card balance.  ☹️ Suffering follows, especially when our beloved ones demand a new designer handbag, after all it's only fair if we've spent big dosh. More suffering ensues. Of course if no increase in frame rate and eye candy is manifest because Intel ripped us off again, the suffering arrives sooner. ☹️

Wheres my Prozac. 

and building computers

The human desire to create is responsible for lots of really good things. Okay, and some bad things. For many, it's the process of creating something new that is a driving force behind PC building, the sense of achievement, bringing a new creation into the world. Almost like procreation!!!  :ohmy:   Pretty sure it is for me. The games and applications I run yes, but the creative building process is a big deal. 

All this means that when Rob is building his PC, he is actually pregnant and soon to give birth!!!! 

Edited by martin-w

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

If I were a Buddhist, I might say it's related to the "second noble truth". 

We crave new things, new pleasures, greater entertainment. We have a strong desire to please our senses. So we crave the latest greatest PC component in the hope it will bring us flight sim nirvana... only to be disappointed after we habituate to the pleasure of an increase in frame rate or better eye candy and look at our credit card balance.  ☹️ Suffering follows, especially when our beloved ones demand a new designer handbag, after all it's only fair if we've spent big dosh. More suffering ensues. Of course if no increase in frame rate and eye candy is manifest because Intel ripped us off again, the suffering arrives sooner. ☹️

Wheres my Prozac. 

Well that is about the best summary of our evil Flight Sim affliction that I have seen. I thought we were all just bats##t crazy! I feel much better now!! LOL

Roll Tide!!

• Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

2 hours ago, shivers9 said:

Well that is about the best summary of our evil Flight Sim affliction that I have seen. I thought we were all just bats##t crazy! I feel much better now!! LOL

Roll Tide!!

Don't feel better... you were right the first time, but its not just simmers, the entire human race is crazy. 

Edited by martin-w

17 hours ago, martin-w said:

Is that a Caselabs case I spy?

No, ThermalTake W200 + P200 ... it's the only case big enough for what I needed and currently available.

Some more progress ... CPU, GPU, VRM pumps/reservoirs mounted

W200P200_3.thumb.jpg.8faaf579be85ae9bc30db3d8de616fcd.jpg

Motherboard and EK block temporarily in place, waiting for CPU...

W200P200_9.thumb.jpg.7cf46b422994ef2e9ecd6fe8b5705c3f.jpg

W200 + P200 together but not bolted up yet ... MB side

W200P200_5.thumb.jpg.0093401fab235073a3442a6e95659bc8.jpg

W200 + P200 pump side with another radiator ... 

W200P200_4.thumb.jpg.70ec78398c9f6abe2f1967cdadad9665.jpg

Top view with a twist to show P200 below

W200P200_6.thumb.jpg.f8ed9f962a68c3c4dfdd17ff310e9703.jpg

Next will be to get all the coolant lines and quick disconnects setup while I wait for the CPU to arrive ...

Cheers, Rob.

I'm exitited to see what you can achive with that build, I can do 5.2 stable without HT, 5.3 is also possible but only in P3D, no benchmarks whatsoever, with the H150 Pro.

Intel Core i9-9900K - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Z390 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3  -2x1TB Samsung 970 PRO - 1000W Corsair HXi Platinum Series  - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 

I'm willing to fry the CPU and/or MB, so we'll see what I can do … on a side note, DHL is supposed to deliver my CPU today … so maybe I'll have some benchmarks this weekend.  I'm planning to test P3D scenario (with logged data) at various CPU frequencies from 4.8 to 5.5 (if I can get to 5.5) to see what the performance difference is for each frequency increment … hopefully help folks decide if OC is worth it on this CPU.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Folks,

Whenever I see Rob's hardware posts - this image comes to mind:

gene-wilder-young-frankenstein.jpg

Nice... Makes my current WIP 7700K/1070 Ti build look like child's play... Did you notify the power company to expect surges on their lines - LOL...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7