Sign in to follow this  

A messy kitchen, 9900K UK edition, 85F but chilly inside

15 hours ago, martin-w said:

deleted

No, no. You're not allowed to delete your post. Please go back and post it. lol

Alright... So, 9900K not good for us?  Now what? AMD ? Wait for another of Intel's "latest and greatest"?   Now what ? 

Very impressive setup!  I cheap thou so going with a 9600K with EVGA CLC 280 (Cyber sale $249/$79).

Although not going see these results but nice scores and temps...

Overclocking 9600k

Edited by TuFun

2 hours ago, joemiller said:

Alright... So, 9900K not good for us?  Now what? AMD ? Wait for another of Intel's "latest and greatest"?   Now what ? 

Very happy with the 9900K here.
Steady 5.1GHz on all cores, HT off, LLC = 5:  temps bellow 72C after 4 hours RealBench's test, bellow 74C passing Time Spy CPU test, with DDR4-4133 @17-17-17-37 and 1.40v as expected.
P3D is running like never before and that was my goal.

Now, I am coming from a 6700K system, not a 8800K, that's why I see such a real improvement.
I understand people's frustration being limited by temperatures in their overclocking when setting AVX to 4, but I for one don't need to push this CPU that far.

So I won't say the 9900K is not good for us. It is maybe not worth the change compared with latest i7 CPUs, overclocking wise.
But it is very fairly an excellent CPU for all daily tasks, video editing in 4K and above all for P3D, as far as the rest of the components is consistent and solid.
With the RTX 2080Ti (not dying yet!), Maximus XI Formula, and G-Skill TridentZ RAM, I am cooling down the system with a simple Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 AIO on an open IN WIN case with powerful and quiet fans.

R5Y0KD.jpg

This being said, thanks to Rob for sharing his thoughts, tests and results, this is indeed a very interesting topic.

Edited by David Roch

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

4 hours ago, joemiller said:

No, no. You're not allowed to delete your post. Please go back and post it. lol

🙂 It was just temp comparison between Intel's paste and glue IHS/Die interface and the solder method for the 9 series. Gamers Nexus delidded the soldered 9900K and replaced the solder with Hydronaut. Hydronaut is a very high end conventional paste, not liquid metal. The solder was 6 degrees cooler than Hydronaut. Now we know that the Dow Corning paste Intel use is way less efficient than Hydronaut, so we can estimate the improvement in cooling with STIM to be at least 10 degrees. May be more when we consider the thick gobs of TIM Intel use, not to mention a think layer of glue. 

1 hour ago, David Roch said:

Now, I am coming from a 6700K system, not a 8800K, that's why I see such a real improvement.
I understand people's frustration being limited by temperatures in their overclocking when setting AVX to 4, but I for one don't need to push this CPU that far.

Yep, the reason I would never buy this CPU is that I already own a delidded 8700K that does everything I need it to do. In fact it's over powered for my needs. Does 5.2 GHz on an NH-D15S. I'm not simming though so I don't need a high overclock. I don't think I'd ever have the need to pay a premium for 8 cores either. I think the 9 series was a knee jerk reaction by Intel in response to AMD generating decent chips with a high core count. So an unneeded release in my opinion. 

And on the subject of 8 cores, I think many forget that a 9900K running at 5 GHz is a high overclock. It Turbo's to 5 GHz on just two cores and only if they are the only ones active, so 5 GHz on all 8 Cores is significant. Not surprising it runs hot with all 8 cores overclocked, especially with motherboard manufacturers providing the facility to bust past the 95 watt TDP. 

There is this attitude, that the CPU is a disaster, because it's a new series CPU and wont overclock to 5.5 GHz well under TJ Max. This is nonsense of course. It's a 95 watt TDP chip, and Intel are allowing motherboard manufacturers to exceed that because it makes the CPU look good in reviews. But Intel have no duty to provide the degree of overclock that enthusiasts have randomly deemed acceptable. It's a "k" series CPU yes, but that simply means it's unlocked. Intel provide no guarantee that any CPU will overclock to a particular frequency at a particular temperature. If it functions at stock as intended Intel are happy. 

Edited by martin-w

Same with what I went with, not a 4k user here. The 9600k can do some high enough clocks if need be (5.2 lottery). The price is right and coming from a busted ancient AMD 965 Black/ATI 5850 system I think it will do fine for my needs. Photoshop and Quixel is my main use... flight sim is a sideshow. I might do some flying when P3Dv5 arrives. Going to have to learn PBR texturing for sure.

Although I got to say I wouldn't mind a monster system and I do like high-performance cars! 😁 

Edited by TuFun

3 hours ago, David Roch said:

Very happy with the 9900K here.

So I won't say the 9900K is not good for us. It is maybe not worth the change compared with latest i7 CPUs, overclocking wise.

Nice Dave ....Very Nice! Congrats.

....However, I am somewhat offended by the i7 remark. :-)

2 hours ago, TuFun said:

Same with what I went with, not a 4k user here. The 9600k can do some high enough clocks if need be (5.2 lottery). The price is right and coming from a busted ancient AMD 965 Black/ATI 5850 system I think it will do fine for my needs. Photoshop and Quixel is my main use... flight sim is a sideshow. I might do some flying when P3Dv5 arrives. Going to have to learn PBR texturing for sure.

Although I got to say I wouldn't mind a monster system and I do like high-performance cars! 😁 

I think a wise man makes no reservation in choosing the 9600K over the 9900, 9700, 8700 or 8600K  ....the 8086 on the other hand ..... 🙂

The 9600K is not soldered ...so delid should be easy and efficient. ....but I wonder if it shares the same substrate as the 9900/9700, and if it does how does that compare to the 6 core coffee?

Anyway, me thinks the 9600K can run at least 5.2 ...assuming they are not binned to the muddy bucket.

Edited by FunknNasty

So far my 9900k is stable at 1.35v at 5.1 with an avx offset of 1 due to heat when encoding. Prime 95 small fft has me at mid 90s in temps with a 360 aio so I am pushing the envelope right now. Handbrake encodes are high 80s and gaming high 70s low 80s at peaks, usually only during initial hard drive load. This chip seems to be on the high end side of the silicon lottery for a change. My 6700k and 8700k and 4790k were low side performers so it’s nice to get a good chip for once. I will probably keep the chip if it remains to be this stable for the next month while I am in my return window. I will then buy another board for my 8700k and retire my 6700k system which is a dedicated VR rig for DCS. 

Edited by J0nx

Asus X570 TUF WIFI | 5800X3D | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | MSI RTX 4090 | EVGA 1300W | ASUS GT501 TUF | Samsung C49RG90 49" | Oculus Quest 2 | Windows 11 Professional X64

The 9600K is not soldered ...so delid should be easy and efficient. ....but I wonder if it shares the same substrate as the 9900/9700, and if it does how does that compare to the 6 core coffee?

Anyway, me thinks the 9600K can run at least 5.2 ...assuming they are not binned to the muddy bucket.

I've seen the same. Most samples hitting 5.2 at around 1.35 volts.

It's solder though, not paste!

https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3373-intel-9900k-soldered-cpus-announced

Edited by martin-w

2 minutes ago, J0nx said:

So far my 9900k is stable at 1.35v at 5.1 with an avx offset of 1 due to heat when encoding. Prime 95 small fft has me at mid 90s in temps with a 360 aio so I am pushing the envelope right now. Handbrake encodes are high 80s and gaming high 70s low 80s at peaks, usually only during initial hard drive load. This chip seems to be on the high end side of the silicon lottery for a change. My 6700k and 8700k and 4790k were low side performers so it’s nice to get a good chip for once. I will probably keep the chip if it remains to be this stable for the next month while I am in my return window. I will then buy another board for my 8700k and retire my 6700k system which is a dedicated VR rig for DCS. 

Just to say, some 9900K owners have noticed that at 5 GHz and above, scores in benchmarks drop. This is because there's some subtle throttling going on due to heat. So do check that your overclock is indeed resulting in an increase in performance. If not, better performance will be gained with lower frequency and heat. 

10 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I've seen the same. Most samples hitting 5.2 at around 1.35 volts.

It's solder though, not paste!

https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3373-intel-9900k-soldered-cpus-announced

Bummer, about the paste. But if on the same substrate, i'm assuming it is, as the 9900, then it's a tank ...an indestructible tank! I'm might pick one up.

Thanks for the nexus link.

Think the thermal issue is a little overrated.  Yes it is a little hotter, but in normal situations with a high end cooler, its far from a TJMAX temp.  I just got the 9700k all cores on 5ghz, and ran Asus bench, and some of the other benchmarks with a heavy load and was mostly in the 70'sC at best.  Prime 95 and blender on the otherhand was a different story and had to run it with an AVX -2. Temps got up mid 80s then but those are likely not real world scenarios.  Running some high end games and a fairly vanilla P3D (still installing 4.3 only to find out 4.4 is around the corner) and even at a fairly heavy load im in the high 60s. Cooler is just a Corsiar H115i.  Seems reasonable enough.  

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

2 hours ago, HighTowers said:

Think the thermal issue is a little overrated.  Yes it is a little hotter, but in normal situations with a high end cooler, its far from a TJMAX temp.  I just got the 9700k all cores on 5ghz, and ran Asus bench, and some of the other benchmarks with a heavy load and was mostly in the 70'sC at best.  Prime 95 and blender on the otherhand was a different story and had to run it with an AVX -2. Temps got up mid 80s then but those are likely not real world scenarios.  Running some high end games and a fairly vanilla P3D (still installing 4.3 only to find out 4.4 is around the corner) and even at a fairly heavy load im in the high 60s. Cooler is just a Corsiar H115i.  Seems reasonable enough.  

It's a different story with HT.  My 9900k runs about 10C hotter with HT on than with it off.  RealBench wll fail or BSOD at 5.0 with HT with some thermal throttling on 1 or 2 cores plus the CPU package.  However, it easily runs at 5.0 with HT off in the 70's with peaks from 79-84. 

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

2 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

Bummer, about the paste. But if on the same substrate, i'm assuming it is, as the 9900, then it's a tank ...an indestructible tank! I'm might pick one up.

Thanks for the nexus link.