Sign in to follow this  
HighFlier

Autothrottle on Landing

On the 777 and 787, Boeing recommends to leave the autothrottle on during landing, even when performing manual flight. To my understanding, this is due to the use of fly-by-wire. However, I wonder if the same applies to the 747-8. Since the -8 shares a type rating with the -400, that would lead me to believe that you are supposed to disengage the autothrottle during manual flight. However, since the -8 utilizes fly-by-wire, that would lead me to believe that you are supposed to leave the autothrottle on. Clearly, I’m not sure which is right. Can anyone shed some light on what Boeing recommends for the 747-8?

The 747-8 is not, in fact, full fly-by-wire, as is the case of the 777 and 787. I think it might just be limited to the ailerons and possibly the spoilers, but I don't remember off the top of my head. In any event, it's not the entire aircraft that's fly-by-wire.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

The 747-8 FCTM does not have a specific recommendation for A/T, which the 777 does.  It suggest that if you are going to disconnect A/T that you need to keep thrust changes minor and that you also need to incorporate "gust factors."  The A/T will automatically adjust for gusts for you and the nice thing about A/T is the help in thrust management it provides on go around with a low altitude level off.

The only electronically actuated controls on the -8 are outboard ailerons.

I prefer A/T landings on the 777 and 747-8, and manual throttle on the 737 and 747-400. That's just my preference.

Dan Downs KCRP

I believe that you are supposed to leave AT on, even on the 737NG because of TOGA. That wouldn't work without autothrottle being on.

8 minutes ago, signmanbob said:

even on the 737NG because of TOGA. That wouldn't work without autothrottle being on.

TOGA button will still work and trigger the FMC to TOGA mode and the FD will command a climb. The only thing is that you will have to move the thrust levers forward on your own.

You can perform a go-around without the autothrottle on (fortunately!)

Edited by Budbud
  • Like 1

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

In real life we disengage the a/t for all manual landings in the 400 and -8. Some pilots will always disconnect it along with the autopilot, others will leave it on for a while, that part is just a matter of preference, but unless it’s an autoland we don’t land with it engaged. I do not know if this is Boeing procedure or company specific  

Pushing the TOGA will reactivate the a/t on a go around so that isn’t an issue. You have to make sure however that you disconnect it using the quick disconnect switches on the throttle quadrant. If you turn the a/t switch off they will not reactivate. 

Jeffery Williams

Edited by Jetlinker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, downscc said:

The 747-8 FCTM does not have a specific recommendation for A/T, which the 777 does.  It suggest that if you are going to disconnect A/T that you need to keep thrust changes minor and that you also need to incorporate "gust factors."  The A/T will automatically adjust for gusts for you and the nice thing about A/T is the help in thrust management it provides on go around with a low altitude level off.

The only electronically actuated controls on the -8 are outboard ailerons.

I prefer A/T landings on the 777 and 747-8, and manual throttle on the 737 and 747-400. That's just my preference.

Same here. I have performed  some landings with A/T on and worked like a charm.

Best.

Miquel Egea.

4 hours ago, Jetlinker said:

In real life we disengage the a/t for all manual landings in the 400 and -8. Some pilots will always disconnect it along with the autopilot, others will leave it on for a while, that part is just a matter of preference, but unless it’s an autoland we don’t land with it engaged. I do not know if this is Boeing procedure or company specific  

Pushing the TOGA will reactivate the a/t on a go around so that isn’t an issue. You have to make sure however that you disconnect it using the quick disconnect switches on the throttle quadrant. If you turn the a/t switch off they will not reactivate. 

Jeffery Williams

Is this the same for the 737NG?

5 hours ago, signmanbob said:

Is this the same for the 737NG?

Not sure about the 737 as I haven’t flown one. 

• Like 1

It has been years since I have flown the NGX but if I recall well, the quick disconnect button also flips the A/T arm swith to off in which case, autothrottle would not be reactivated by pressing TOGA.

Edited by Budbud
  • Like 1

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

36 minutes ago, maukro_1990 said:

Is it common to leave autothrottle on during the whole landing? 

What airplane?  Manual or auto landing?

Dan Downs KCRP

On 11/6/2018 at 7:51 PM, downscc said:

What airplane?  Manual or auto landing?

Do i leave the autothrottle enganged during a manual landing with a 747-8? I saw lots of videos where simmers leave AT on when AP was off. The question is if i can leave the autothrottle enganged during a manual landing, like i normally do with a T7?!

1 hour ago, maukro_1990 said:

Do i leave the autothrottle enganged during a manual landing with a 747-8? I saw lots of videos where simmers leave AT on when AP was off. The question is if i can leave the autothrottle enganged during a manual landing, like i normally do with a T7?!

If you mean the switch, then yes, although that depends on each carrier. Some carriers close it all together. The Boeing procedure is to leave the switch to ON all the time.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

32 minutes ago, Olympic260 said:

If you mean the switch, then yes, although that depends on each carrier. Some carriers close it all together. The Boeing procedure is to leave the switch to ON all the time.

I concur. Where I work we turn it off after landing and turn it on just before takeoff, as having it on during the taxi and inadvertently hitting the TOGA could make for a rather bad day.