Sign in to follow this  
Gizmo05

Terbulant Design Teraflora

Hi All,

I would like to find out if the Teraflora worth buying for P3D? Is there any significance difference.

Thank you

Hello,

I have used it for long time now. It´s good, I recommend it.

Cheers

Tapani Österberg

I have wondered about Terraflora. With ORBX now publishing Turbulent Design software, I wonder if they will ever just merge ORBX tress and Terrafloa. 

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

3 hours ago, Gizmo05 said:

Hi All,

I would like to find out if the Teraflora worth buying for P3D? Is there any significance difference.

Thank you

I think it's worth it.....I actually like it better than ORBX trees.  It is for sure much better than default trees...

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Thanks guys for the replies. If i install Teraflora, do i need to uninstall the ORBX trees or can they both work together?

11 minutes ago, Gizmo05 said:

Thanks guys for the replies. If i install Teraflora, do i need to uninstall the ORBX trees or can they both work together?

Uninstall ORBX trees first as they will not work together.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

17 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

Uninstall ORBX trees first as they will not work together.

Incorrect. They will work together.
From Greg Jones at TD:
Terraflora only replaces the textures of the default tree types (of which there are many!). HD trees also replaces Orbx's own custom trees not covered by TerraFlora.
So with TF and HD Trees installed, you'll have TF across 99.9% of the planet with the remainder covered by Orbx in some parts of their regions and airports.

https://www.turbulentdesigns.co.uk/forum/topic/828-terraflora-trees-hd/

Edited by Bills511

1 hour ago, Gizmo05 said:

As indicated above, it can be installed together with ORBX HD Trees, better yet if you do so.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

The one advantage Teraflora has over P3D trees is that Teraflora trees are reginal and better depict the area you fly in. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

18 hours ago, Flic1 said:

I stand corrected but they both replace the same default textures...but no harm in installing over ORBX trees it appears.

Sorry, but this is incorrect: TerraFlora Trees doesn't replace anything, it just adds its own tree texture files to the main sim folder:

• it contains only one bgl-File in "scenery/global/scenery" which is called vegetation_TF.BGL, which determines its trees to be placed worldwide.
  • the corresponding texture files to this .BGL are put in "scenery/global/texture (53 tree textures in total) - with the ending "name of the tree_TF.dds" - TF stands for Terra Flora most likely.
  • So, its up to your convience: you are able to install it just for enhancing your default textures or you can operate it with FTX Trees HD together seamlessly, as you like.

I prefer both, because in some areas - most notably while different seasons - TF does a better job, and in others FTX Trees HD.  E.g TF's winter textures are pretty overdosed, whereas ORBX is doing the "winter-job" quite a lot better.

Apart from that TF offers two special trees for fall in its default texture set:

• veg_Broadleaf_ChestnutMaple_FA_TF_B.dds  and 
  • veg_Broadleaf_CottonwoodElm_FA_TF_B.dds

...which make autumn shine in its red colours more accuratly (Indian Summer) - something really special which FTX doesn't bring on.

All the best.

Concerning TerraFlora and Orbx HD Trees, this question was asked at the Orbx forum, after Turbulent products were offered by Orbx.

John Venema answered the question:

"TerraFlora and Orbx Trees HD replace the exact same global tree textures, so they are not mutually compatible.

Orbx Trees HD are also double the resolution of default Trees and also use optimised models; we were in fact the first to do so by some years.

So it comes down to which tree textures you prefer in terms of colour and art style. Orbx Trees HD are specifically designed for Orbx global and region products so they will naturally be a better match to the overall Orbx colour palette.

Orbx will not be selling TerraFlora on OrbxDirect as it’s a directly competing product to ours.

I hope this clears up any possible confusion."

Edited by flyblueskies

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

11 hours ago, flyblueskies said:

Concerning TerraFlora and Orbx HD Trees, this question was asked at the Orbx forum, after Turbulent products were offered by Orbx.

John Venema answered the question:

"TerraFlora and Orbx Trees HD replace the exact same global tree textures, so they are not mutually compatible.

Orbx Trees HD are also double the resolution of default Trees and also use optimised models; we were in fact the first to do so by some years.

So it comes down to which tree textures you prefer in terms of colour and art style. Orbx Trees HD are specifically designed for Orbx global and region products so they will naturally be a better match to the overall Orbx colour palette.

Orbx will not be selling TerraFlora on OrbxDirect as it’s a directly competing product to ours.

I hope this clears up any possible confusion."

This is absolutely confusing 😕 !  When you look inside the sim folder and looking for dependencies considering both Tree Addons, and which one recalls which BGL File, then it is absolutely clear and no room for doubts:

• TreesHD rewrites and replaces the default >vegetation.bgl< (in Scenery/Global/scenery).  Default P3D vegetation.bgl is 3.758 KB --> TreesHD replaces this file and after rewriting it, the "new default" vegetation.bgl counts 3.127 KB (in this case made by ORBX's trees).
  • TerraFlora just puts a complete new vegetation_TF.bgl in the same folder (scenery/global/scenery) with the value of 2.682 KB.  Its vegetaion blg even has a new name --> so there can't be any conflict with the ORBX trees:  Whether with "FTX_Vegetation_FULL. BGL", nor with "ORBX_EU_AGN_TREES.BGL" , nor with the rewritten "vegetation.BGL".
  • ....and TerraFlora tree textures in scenery/global/texture even have a new name with the suffix >..._TF.dds< ----completely contrary to FTX TreesHD which actually replaces P3D's default trees.

So, someone can imagine that all this new vegetation files can bring up bunch of strain to the system. ---> converse to developers advertisements.

It can lead to microstutters and a lot more CPU activity than necessary in the background without noticing it instantly  (based on my own observations).

.......so they are not mutually compatible.

Corresponding to my own experiences: yes, that is true....but only regarding its depiction in the sim !  ---> because TF Trees look more fluffy, even its everage tree texture size is extremely higher than TreesHD:

• most TF texture files count 5.462 KB --> for 32bit Simulators like FSX not really VAS friendly !!!
  • contrary to 683 KB in TreesHD

I for my own recognized that both textures - side by side - can look pretty funny in sim. 

That's why I've made a "Frankenstein Trees Addon", passing both: TreesHD & TerraFlor...with the best of both worlds and a good compromise regarding performance and display. ---> 'm very happy with the results 👍

All the best.

Edited by KBUR
English is NOT my mother tongue

Here's a better in depth explanation from Orbx:

"Neither Trees HD nor TerraFlora place any trees themselves they just replace the textures and models of the default autogen trees. Trees HD does it by swapping out the default tree library and textures while TerraFlora deactivates the default library and activates the replacement library and textures in a separate scenery folder. In short, the method is different but the result to the user is the same.

Some Orbx global and regional products also place tree models from custom libraries of our own, given that the default set is quite limited in terms of tree types/species. If Trees HD isn't installed then those additional trees will use their original Orbx standard-resolution textures; with Trees HD installed they display HD textures. 

Thus, as mentioned above, with both TerraFlora and TreesHD installed all default trees will use TerraFlora models & textures while custom Orbx models, often mixed with the default models, will show Orbx HD textures."

• Upvote 2

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5