Sign in to follow this  
kapitan

Unreallistic Oceans - no white foam

Hi, 

A tip for effect tweakers and p3d designers. Wonder if you have ever put your whole head stuck in an airplane window at cruise Altitude staring at the ocean below.

Its not a plain blue. It jas thousands of white lines depicting waves that are braking and spreading foam, although they look as frozen lines, they dont move at all as perceived at cruise alt.

Even coastal waves look frozen. They are moving but at such low speed that from the high distance they seem frozen. They actually disappear if your eyes can track them but in its place or very next to it another wave brakes thus giving the impression of a permanent static white line. 

Ive searched and searched and nobody seems to have even raised this issue in the sim community. I wonder if they have never looked out of the window!!

The ocean is full of white patches, lines, very tiny at high altitudes that give the seas their reallistic appearance. I dont think its that difficult to make it right, if anyone else agrees.

I know third party have a tick for windy ocean and crust wave tops but they dont seem to fix either or if Im mistaken please correct me. 

Edited by kapitan
spelling

I agree that oceans are far from realistic, but one has to consider all the other things P3D has to simulate. If the oceans (bodies of water) get lots of attention, this will take processing power away and reduce performance. One day its possible we will have very realistic oceans, busy ocean ports, and even busy railroad yards, but presently, todays CPU/GPU's are having a hard enough time as it is.

We still have to get a realistic atmosphere, but we have to wait for CPU chips to get a lot faster, and single SSD's to get a lot bigger.:smile: 

Edited by pracines
clairifcation of railroads

41 minutes ago, pracines said:

I agree that oceans are far from realistic, but one has to consider all the other things P3D has to simulate. If the oceans (bodies of water) get lots of attention, this will take processing power away and reduce performance. One day its possible we will have very realistic oceans, busy ocean ports, and even railroads, but presently, todays CPU/GPU's are having a hard enough time as it is.

We still have to get a realistic atmosphere, but we have to wait for CPU chips to get a lot faster, and single SSD's to get a lot bigger.:smile: 

I can only imagine what flight simulator will bring us in 10-20 years from now!!

I will be interesting to see!!

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

The whitecaps, or rather lack thereof, are not completely unrealistic. I have often been struck how little they really show from any appreciable altitude unless under particularly heavy seas or wind. 

I personally would like to see a little more variation in water color in the future. 

Chris

1 hour ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

I can only imagine what flight simulator will bring us in 10-20 years from now!!

I will be interesting to see!!

Absolutely! Or even next 3-5 years! 

This is where I started my simming 🙂

https://fshistory.simflight.com/fsvault/msfs4.htm

Edited by kiki
  • Like 1

Yeah, I remember!!! What a laugh now!!

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 10:42 AM, lennie said:

Yeah, I remember!!! What a laugh now!!

But, at the time, it was wonderful!!!

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

Hi Folks,

Oh - the waves - one of my pet peeves - I think one of my ORBX products changed the waves and they move at cartoon speed - probably well over a hundred miles an hour if anyone ever took the time to calculate it... Wave motion in the RW is practically imperceptible at aircraft altitudes... I wish someone would fix the cartoon waves...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:24 AM, kiki said:

Absolutely! Or even next 3-5 years! 

This is where I started my simming 🙂

https://fshistory.simflight.com/fsvault/msfs4.htm

Hi Folks,

Wow - you had a color monitor ?

I was on monochrome for years...

:tongue:

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Lack of white foam waves at around 2K-10K is one of my pet peeves.

guess what guys... The initial FSX had this. That was one of the best part of FSX when we went from FS9. the Ocean came alive

Then P3d came and added low level water animation... the ocean water heaving which was good for sea planes and boats. But we lost the white foam waves. I do not believe the low level water heaving was worth losing the white foams at altitude.. But the sea plane folks may disagree with me.

Edited by Manny
  • Upvote 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

My first experience was with subLOGIC Flight Simulator 1 for Apple II. We have come a long way. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

At one point in time, there was a thread here, where people described their experiences in altering the configuration file that is located in the P3d triton subfolder. Triton is the SDK that LM uses for water effects. I remember tinkering with some of these settings also, but I could never see any tangible difference, so either the file is not really used or P3d doesn't implement many of the features contained in the config file.  There is also waterconstants.xml, located in the appdata folder, which allows the user and 3rd party developers to make some minor tweaks to the appearance of the ocean and other waterbodies.

This horrible Water destroys many of the positive Items who LM hat changed from FSX to P3D.

Remember that 3/4 of our Globe is covered with Water and what we see here is a affront to our Eyes. If you want to cross the pond - you will get an Eye-Cancer! Together with that foolish Cloud draw distance restriction which prevents Active Sky from working well -  will be a long distance high Altitude Flight over Water a harrowing Adventure.

All that junk is taken from FSX like Ground Vehicles on Airports, AI-Traffic, Stoneaged Airspaces, Groundfriction and so on, but one of the best on FSX - the Water display -has been irgnored!

• Like 1

I would prefer that  these unrealistic looking shoreline waves would be fixed first. And as long this is not gonna happen, please, LM give us a switch to turn them off.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).