Sign in to follow this  
kapitan

Unreallistic Oceans - no white foam

As mentioned previously in this thread there is a post on the official ORBX forum that explains how to improve the shoreline waves. The first step is to rename the default fx file, so if you stop at that you won't have any shoreline waves.

7 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

As mentioned previously in this thread there is a post on the official ORBX forum that explains how to improve the shoreline waves. The first step is to rename the default fx file, so if you stop at that you won't have any shoreline waves.

Thanks. Did you mean this: https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/151969-orbx-wave-effects-an-unofficial-beta-test/

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

22 minutes ago, Nemo said:

Strangely no before/after pics or vid...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Those shoreline waves are rubbish, so they have been removed from my PC in P3D v3.4. As for the open water at altitude, the problem with it is that it looks too static. In fact, the default water at altitude looks a lot like coastal mud with lines in it when the tide has gone out. Not realistic at all. Whether waves can be discerned at altitude or not in the real world is a moot point. Your eye can detect extremely subtle movement even when the detail is not easily detectable.....and that is what needs to be accounted for in the simulator. FSX had a kind of shimmering effect (which may have been purely accidental), but some developers (I am thinking REX here) found a way to enhance this effect to create a much more realistic interpretation of water movement at altitude. Sadly, those same texture improvements when used in P3D are absolutely useless :sad:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The ocean appearance in P3d4 relies on a number of factors. At low elevation, the Triton SDK is used to generate wave physics. The rendering of the ocean water though, is done directly by P3d. At higher elevation, the ocean becomes more or less a flat surface and the appearance depends on the textures that are being used. I have found that either of the EnvTex photorealistic textures look pretty good. The whole complaint about whitecaps is somewhat overblown in my opinion, because in the real world whitecaps are not visible at high elevation.

3 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The ocean appearance in P3d4 relies on a number of factors. At low elevation, the Triton SDK is used to generate wave physics. The rendering of the ocean water though, is done directly by P3d. At higher elevation, the ocean becomes more or less a flat surface and the appearance depends on the textures that are being used. I have found that either of the EnvTex photorealistic textures look pretty good. The whole complaint about whitecaps is somewhat overblown in my opinion, because in the real world whitecaps are not visible at high elevation.

+1

This is flightsimulator, not boat simulator ... 

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

29 minutes ago, GSalden said:

+1

This is flightsimulator, not boat simulator ... 

I wonder if P3D will have submarine races someday? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 11/4/2018 at 8:24 AM, kiki said:

Absolutely! Or even next 3-5 years! 

This is where I started my simming 🙂

https://fshistory.simflight.com/fsvault/msfs4.htm

Sadly it does not work under 64 bit Windows, too bad, I loved FS4 and Flight Assignment ATP both.  It was the sim that inspired me to finally buy a Packard Bell PC and drop my Atari ST, although I kept the Atari Running until I sold it.

John

Set water to ultra and get some very high winds - then fly a few hundred feet over the water - you'll see some very big waves with white caps and all sorts of good stuff. A little heavy on the system but fun to do every now and then.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

2 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Set water to ultra and get some very high winds - then fly a few hundred feet over the water - you'll see some very big waves with white caps and all sorts of good stuff. A little heavy on the system but fun to do every now and then.

Vic

True. Vic, you'd think that after all the  P3d screenshots that have been posted  here of the sea surface during ASP4 hurricanes that people would have realized that the simulated ocean looks quite realistic in high winds. I think some people are expecting to see white caps on the ocean when flying at 20,000 feet in the air.

We are talking about subtle water movement at altitude, not staring hurricane driven waves in the face at 50 feet. The fact remains that FSX (possibly totally by accident) simulated the shimmering effect of light on water a lot better than P3D does, and REX Essential Plus enhanced that effect quite considerably on my PC.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris, you added the shimmering issue to the original complaints about the appearance of P3d water. I won't argue that FSX looked more realistic in that regard but I also agree that it was probably not by design.

The issues of foam lines and whitecaps are those to be discussed with a grain of sea salt.  It think that it's more important for LM to spend it's "water" coding resources on how seaplanes take off and land rather than on the visual condition of the seven seas. If I was a software pirate I might think differently.😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I completely agree with you regarding the floatplane physics. The Flight Unlimited series did a better job of simulating that twenty years ago!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png