Sign in to follow this  
kenny584

TOGA button.

Hi Guys.

I have been flying this aircraft for a short while now and am keen to expand my knowledge of it. I know what the TOGA button does in a real aircraft and I understand the concept of FADEC systems, but... What should I be seeing when I press the TOGA on the ground after inputing the outside air temp. and other factors. I am wondering if there should be a numeric display or the engine gauges should show a thrust setting marker. I have been watching the Jesse Flies series of videos and he mentions Take Off power set. Does anyone know if this is displayed in the sim? Is it modelled at all?

Regards...Ken.

On the Phenom 300 the TOGA button doesn't have anything to do with the engines/thrust. Pushing the TOGA button simply commands a wings level and a pitch up attitude, suitable for the take off and the go around case.

21 hours ago, kenny584 said:

I have been watching the Jesse Flies series of videos and he mentions Take Off power set. Does anyone know if this is displayed in the sim? Is it modelled at all?

Usually you are checking the performance data before T/O so you know what your T/O power is under the actual conditions.

On the Phenom 300 at ISA and S.L. T/O N1 = 86.8%. (increasing to 91.1% at 5000ft) When calling T/O power set, you confirm that the actual N1 matches the calculated N1.

Hello again.

Right, again thanks for the heads up. Is that something that the pilot would aim for when advancing the thrust levers? I mean, would they stop advancing when thrust power on the N1 gauge reaches the calculated N1? Rather than just advancing the levers to the TO/GA detents.

Cheers...Ken.

With FADEC controlled engines like in the Phenom 300, it shouldn't occur that the TOGA N1 doesn't match the TOGA detent. (If it doesn't by a significant amount, it would be a reason to abort the takeoff IMO)

Since Carenado planes don't simulate FADEC the thrust values will be only be close to the RW numbers at ISA conditions.

Without FADEC (and hence no detents), you have to manually adjust the thrust levers to achieve the calculated N1.  

Edited by FDEdev

Hello again.

I have seen mention of detents before in the forum. I'm a bit hesitant to ask and appear silly, but...are there detents as such? I usually just manually adjust the levers for each stage of flight according to the marks on the quadrant and aim for the selected airspeed.

My apologies for keeping on with this but I'm keen to learn.

Regards...Ken.

Ahh...I've just made the connection between your last line and my question!! No modelled FADEC, hence no detents in the sim. So manual it is then.

If the temperature is approximately at ISA, you should be able to advance the thrust levers until the forward stop which is a bit like a detent.  

Other detents like the climb detent aren't simulated and you need to e.g. the retard the thrust lever until e.g. CLB is indicated on the MFD (does the Carenado version have different indications?) etc.

Note that an actual detent it's always there (don't know if the Phenom 300 does have detents IRL) or necessary since the FADEC system uses only the TLA (thrust lever angle) to establish the correct N1 value.

A marking on the thrust lever quadrant might be the only marking. Detent or not, the actual N1, and/or TO, CLB, etc. indication are the important items.

Hope this wasn't too long and confusing (did have my first coffee yet) 

Hi there.

I know what you mean regarding the cofffee!! The Carenado has a couple of softkeys to select CLB and CON if I recall correctly. I select them as required to display on the MFD and then manually adjust the levers to match the marks on the quadrant. However, even doing so, the aircraft has a mean turn of speed and I usually have to adjust further.  The result is that the levers no longer align with the marks.

Ah well, I try my best and whatever works, I suppose. Although I would like to get it as real as possible. I'll need to do some more reading. Please come back if you can think of ant hints and tips for the thrust settings. I am enjouying reading your replies.

Cheers...Ken.

Since Carenado doesn't simulate FADEC and more complex engine management, I'm afraid that they simply use a single fixed value for clb crz., etc.

Just checked the various RW manuals and I didn't find e.g. any tables for climb N1, but since TO, max cont. and  max clb are all limited to 100% N1 you should be safe if N1 stays at or below 100%.  

Hello again.

My pc threw a wobbly and I had to replace a drive. It would not move past the boot screen because it found a dead drive. Anyway, all working again. Yes, I am feeling that simply adjusting the levers to match the selected airspeeds is the way to go with this aircraft. I keep the trend bar to a minimum and it seems to work fine. The FSMania videos use VS to adjust airspeed and keep within limits. I am trying to adjust airspeed, so that when I select FLC the aircraft behaves as I would expect it to. My son is a real world Airbus captain and even he made a face at the antics of the aircraft. However, he is used to selecting Managed Airspeed and various other refinements real world in his 'office' that this 300 does not have. All good fun!!

Regards...Ken.

48 minutes ago, kenny584 said:

I am feeling that simply adjusting the levers to match the selected airspeeds is the way to go with this aircraft. I

My son is a real world Airbus captain and even he made a face at the antics of the aircraft. 

In every jet you usually climb at max climb thrust since you want to climb as quickly as possible because a jet engine uses a lot less fuel at higher altitudes.

I've used to be an A320 Capt. myself and the funny thing is that the new copilots where always amazed about the stone age low quality CRT displays etc., since most of them transitioned from much more modern C525 to the A320. 😄  

Edited by FDEdev

Hello again.

I will ask my son about his first officers and get info on what aircraft they were flying before the 'bus.

Cheers...Ken.