Sign in to follow this  
spilok

FSX'ers. Understand this please.

Personally, I think we should let FSX users enjoy their flight simulator.

I had many happy years with FSX, and it was only the "popping autogen" that made me switch to P3D.

For folks who are not bothered by that, FSX is a fine "classic" product :cool:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Bert

9 hours ago, SimonC said:

It might use more GPU (I don't think it does really), and if even, not that I would care - I have my sim quite balanced usually running at about 60% on the GPU, so I have enough overhead for those heavy-weather approaches. EXP=10 actually only loads more into VRAM, so the sim does take longer to load, but comparing screenshots, one can see better sharpness in the distance.

Don't know about the 2nd. I fly airliners, and wouldn't be using those settings if I were seeing blurries. And on topic of blurries: I never see them in normal operations.

Tried it and got a PC out of memory at FTX ORBX Barcelona Cityscabe with Simwings LEBL.

Noticed dwm.exe was above 16 GB which is what i have in the system. Guess its just not for my system for now.

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

22 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Tried it and got a PC out of memory at FTX ORBX Barcelona Cityscabe with Simwings LEBL.

Noticed dwm.exe was above 16 GB which is what i have in the system. Guess its just not for my system for now.

Thanks Michael Moe 

Out of memory on 64bit? A classic OOM? If you have virtual memory enabled, there should be no crash because of RAM (I have 32GB though). I think it's more likely it was the VRAM. I never managed to crash it though, not even with FTX Germany region, AS EDDF and FSL A320.

Edited by SimonC

5 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Out of memory on 64bit? A classic OOM? If you have virtual memory enabled, there should be no crash because of RAM (I have 32GB though). I think it's more likely it was the VRAM. I never managed to crash it though, not even with FTX Germany region, AS EDDF and FSL A320.

Same information like in the god old FSX days but properly not have the same outcome. VRAM was showing about 8.5gb when it happened.

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

7 hours ago, w6kd said:

Just curious what NI does for you that you can't do from P3D directly.

The most important thing NI does that no version of P3D has ever done is offer the user the setting to disable the Force P2 State of CUDA.  This setting is in the "Common" section of some versions of NI and should be set to "OFF" when running any graphically intense app.  The last thing we want is the CUDA API taking a nap while it should be at the maximum power state, P0.  I only use Orbmu2k's 2.1.3.19 version of NI or DeadmanWalking's modified version of Orbmu2k's work.

Orbmu2k NI download (from 2017): https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases

DeadmanWalking modified version NI download (recently updated): https://github.com/DeadManWalkingTO/NVidiaProfileInspectorDmW

Both have the "CUDA - Force P2 State" setting in the "Common" section.  The setting is "ON" by default in the nVidia drivers. 😕

HTH

Greg

• Upvote 1

I struggled to get fsx to work for years on machines that should have been able to run it easily. I moved to XP11 and didn't look back for a long time but XP11 still has a long way to go in integrating its virtual world, add on traffic with atc etc which is important for immersion and which fsx does with aplomb despite its horrible glitchy performance. In addition to this I had spent  fair bit on Orbx and various planes during my time with fsx so I decided to give p3d a look, spend a little money to justify spending more in the past if you get my drift.

I can only echo what the OP said, this is the program that fsx should have become years ago, loads so much faster, performs smoothly with much higher FPS (x4!) no crashes and works with almost all of my add ons without any problems at all. I have UTL talking to RC4 and ASE injecting weather with no issues at all. I had to upgrade FSCUIP but only the unregistered version, and that was it.

So yes, no more tweaking, it works off the bat like i remember FS9 doing before the years of toil! 

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

+1  I used FSX from the day it was released and never really had any problems with it... enjoyed it immensely over the years.  I'm not keen on X-Plane either, but whatever folks enjoy is what they should fly.

Greg

12 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

Same information like in the god old FSX days but properly not have the same outcome. VRAM was showing about 8.5gb when it happened.

Thanks Michael Moe 

Ah OK, so you got the error, but P3D didn't crash...? Well, good to know. Maybe it really is the RAM, who knows.

2 hours ago, SimonC said:

Ah OK, so you got the error, but P3D didn't crash...? Well, good to know. Maybe it really is the RAM, who knows.

Yes CTD like the old days with same windows pop up window (OOM) but again who knows what may have trickered it. 

I am putting EXP=10 a bit down the road. 

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

18 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I had many happy years with FSX, and it was only the "popping autogen" that made me switch to P3D.

Oddly enough, it is the blurry and shimmering textures in P3D that keeps FSX on my system.

What's with all the FSX vs P3D; did everyone on this forum spend so much on their computer system to run P3D that they can't afford a larger SSD drive to load multiple sims?

My SSD has FSX, P3Dv3, P3Dv4 and X-Plane 11 on it; I fly them all and they all have good points and bad points.

On 11/5/2018 at 7:23 PM, Bert Pieke said:

For folks who are not bothered by that, FSX is a fine "classic" product :cool:

Absolutely Bert, Still fly FSX and haven't tweaked it in over 3 years. Just fire it up and fly. Will swap to P3D one day, maybe when the AA no longer shimmers without the need to run 4k 😉

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

On 11/5/2018 at 3:56 PM, J van E said:

Ah, yes, which is why we get topics about blurries and stutters almost daily... 😎 

I can see textures loading very obviously in P3D so I wouldn't say it's crystal clear as long as the eye can see. And smoothness... did you ever try Aerofly FS 2? After flying in that one it's impossible to say P3D has unbelievable smoothness, even in dense airports... But well, I am glad you are happy with your setup. 😉 P3D still is my main sim though, but only because of all the addons that make the experience complete. Absolutely NOT because of crystal clear scenery and smoothness.

This!

Was in XP11 now for some weeks and did a flight in the PMDG 777 in P3D again because I miss the PMDG planes... Smoothness? Lol... Nope. Autogen loading all over the place.... Microstutters.... Long frames....

Like you said Jeroen, P3D has its strength not in this department 🙂

yep the long frames/micro-stutters are still very much there in P3D4.. the performance is way better than FSX altho the additional headroom in performance is gobbled up by all the eye candy like shadows, reflections, tomato shade, etc.. 

I've said it before and i'll say it again.. the real bottleneck is the CPU and whichever sim is able to crank more out of the CPU wins in the end.. be it thru vulkan or DX12.. 

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.