Sign in to follow this  
blaunarwal

Tutorial #1 Engine out after takeoff

Hi

Couldn't find an answer to this here. I'm actually working through tutorial #1 of the 737 NGX. Everything is done according to the tutorial. On the takeoff run, after VR, I rotate and lift off. The engines both go out immedialy after and I'm unable to avoid the disaster and crash. What is wrong? Tanks are full, a bit lower than 1/3 initially set. Both engine switches are set to "Cont" as advised. I may have missed something before. Could someone give me an advice, what could have happened.

Thanks and BRGDS

Daniel Mrawek

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

1 hour ago, blaunarwal said:

What is wrong?

Usually a mixture a hardware mixture axis being set. If it drops anywhere below 100%, the sim interprets this as "OFF" in a jet. Since hardware usually doesn't send a perfect signal (varies by a few % here and there - this is the reason for null zones), any drop below that 100% will cause your engines to fail. Delete the axis, and/or set a null zone (if you have a program that can set a null zone at the top end of the axis).

Kyle Rodgers

I'm not sure if this was my fault, not pushing the throttle to the very limit. I will also check if the axis is a bit unstable. I recently calibrated the stick.

I don't have software to define null zones at the moment. I used FSUIPC but recently got CTD of my sim caused by FSUIPC which I can't explain. I runs fine without it. So I don't have this. I use a Saitek flightstick with throttle.

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

I would probably start with checking if there is an active failure set from the failures settings.

Ahmet Can

1 hour ago, costamesa said:

I would probably start with checking if there is an active failure set from the failures settings.

It should be off, however, also possible. But should maybe not happen every time. So far I retried once and the engines went off again at the same time.

Service based failures is off. Hope that's all. And come on, I just set up the flight as described in the tutorial. That should just not happen. 

Here's a video of my problem. Maybe one can see what's wrong. Otherwise I will start the whole tutorial one more time from the beginning and if it end like this again, I go back to default aircraft. 

Youtube Video of my flame out

As Kyle said, it is usually a mixture axis assigned that you are unaware of.  Not throttle... mixture.  There is no mixture control in a jet but the simulator will kill a jet engine if you shut off the mixture because the simulator treats engine run/stop switches same as mixture controls.

Check the control assignments.

Dan Downs KCRP

9 hours ago, downscc said:

As Kyle said, it is usually a mixture axis assigned that you are unaware of.  Not throttle... mixture.  There is no mixture control in a jet but the simulator will kill a jet engine if you shut off the mixture because the simulator treats engine run/stop switches same as mixture controls.

Check the control assignments.

Yes I have a mixture axis on the stick. I understand now. So have to unassign this or map bot sliders to one engine each.

I would unassign it when flying jets. If you have it assigned for when you are flying prop planes then you can turn it back on when flying those.

I have had this in the past, I have the Saitek X52 and have the mixture assigned to the slider on the throttle. Very useful when flying my 182, but when flying a jet after shutting down my Cessna and forgetting to reset the slider to max, it causes exactly what you described.

If your mixture is set to a slider or a rotational switch, then you could also try to calibrate it, or add a larger null-zone, that way you might be able to leave it mapped and don't have to unassign it.

I tried unassigning the propeller axis and also tried to unsassign the throttle axis, just spooling up with F2. Unfortunately it does not cure the problem. I just wonder, why the fuel warning lights up. The pumps are running, the valves are open. 

As promised, I will start all over again, go through the tutorial from the beginning. Maybe it's just an oddity of the code somehow. But on the other hand, everything works that perfectly with this plane, I rather think something is not set correctly. I also don't believe it's the aborted takeoff routine, which wouldn't stop the engines, but rather use the reversers. 

In the video as far as I see -quality is not the best in my browser for some reason- you have an "engine failure". So, once again, please check the if there is any "active failure", not "Service Based Failures".

Edited by costamesa

Ahmet Can

18 hours ago, blaunarwal said:

I tried unassigning the propeller axis and also tried to unsassign the throttle axis, just spooling up with F2. Unfortunately it does not cure the problem. I just wonder, why the fuel warning lights up. The pumps are running, the valves are open. 

Looks like you removed the assignments for every engine-related axis except the one we've been referring to.

The prop axis has no effect on a jet model. The throttle has an obvious effect, but not on shutdown behavior. The mixture axis is the only one controlling the fuel flow, and that also explains the fuel warning light.

The axis that needs to be addressed is the mixture axis. This is the only one that will affect this behavior. When it comes to troubleshooting, while I understand wanting to try other things out and not wait for responses from people, it's best to stick to what we're offering up to you. Be sure to do exactly that, at the very least. So far, based on your responses, despite offering this up as a solution in the first response, I am not sure if you've followed my advice, and are, instead, seemingly doing just about everything else, to include blaming the code:

18 hours ago, blaunarwal said:

Maybe it's just an oddity of the code somehow.

Very, incredibly highly unlikely. If it were, this would've been seen more widely, and more often over the past six-ish years of NGX flying.

Kyle Rodgers

And - in addition to what was said - please check your realism settings that automixture is off. My P3D sometimes decides that I am not able to use the rudders myself and turns on the autorudders... I have no idea why, but it’s annoying and mainly noticeable when you try to take off in crosswinds and find yourself next to the runway. 

14 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

My P3D sometimes decides that I am not able to use the rudders myself and turns on the autorudders...

Computers don't just do things to do them. I'd argue that something is causing this that isn't P3D.

Kyle Rodgers

2 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Computers don't just do things to do them. I'd argue that something is causing this that isn't P3D.

I really have no idea what could cause this.. as it actually means the P3D.cfg is being modified. Autorudder=0 to =1. It makes NO sense to me. I‘ve thought about the possibility that the computer loses the connection to my MFG pedals, resulting in an automatic autorudder activation... but is P3D doing that?? I don‘t know. But as I am quite used to troubleshooting on my own system and know many of its quirks I‘m not that easily to fool 😄 I have different display settings for different developers so I normally do a quick hop across PTA, NVIDIA and P3D settings anyway so it‘s not that much to check the realism settings too if something is not feeling normal.