Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Nvidia 1080 Ti No Longer In Production: Low Supplies

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/11/05/report-nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-no-longer-in-production-supply-running-low/#6939c3b8723f

If you've been wrestling with the decision of picking up Nvidia's new Turing-powered graphics card or the Pascal-based GTX 1080 Ti, Nvidia may have just forced your hand. The best alternative to the GeForce RTX 2080 graphics card is reportedly no longer in production, and supply is running low.

The report comes from GamersNexus, citing multiple industry sources. In a companion video detailing the news, GamersNexus EIC Steve Burke emphasized the site's belief in these claims, saying "we trust those sources greatly." Those sources also claim the 1080 Ti exited production some time ago.

This move isn't entirely surprising, but it's certainly disappointing for consumers entertaining a GPU upgrade from the GTX 700 or 900 Series. One of the common criticisms leveled at both the RTX 2080 Ti and RTX 2080 by tech press is the poor value proposition presented by Nvidia's RTX cards, offering lower generation-over-generation performance improvements combined with higher prices.

Ars Technica's review of the RTX 2080 echoed the sentiments of several other reviewers: "[...] the wait and additional cost of the RTX 2080 feels like a lot to ask for when the above benchmarks tell us that the 1080 Ti still pretty much packs the same punch."

Considering the GTX 1080 Ti launched with an MSRP of $699 and the RTX 2080 can't be found for less than $789 (U.S pricing, Newegg and Amazon), that statement has weight. Eighteen months after the 1080 Ti launched, a GPU with equivalent performance in traditional gaming benchmarks (e.g. not ray tracing or DLSS since no games are on the market to test) costs more without delivering a substantial boost in framerates. That's unusual for Nvidia, and is the main source of disappointment.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Happens with the automakers every single year when new model years hit the lot. I am not surprised to see Nvidia doing the same thing. 

Scott

KGPI

Banner_MJC1.png

I would say that most people looking at the 1080ti now are looking at the used market. Speaking of cars, I have the same position. The car I currently own, a GMC Terrain, I bought new and if I had been true to form I would have traded it in 3 years ago for a new car. But now I think the smart money is in the used market on cars and computer hardware. Right now you get a hell of a lot more bang for your buck in the used market than you do in the new. I like the term newused! It is of course a marketing term. And speaking of marketing new cars and new computer tech are about 10% innovation and 90% marketing. (the cost I suspect divides up about along those lines too). Of course you need those who pay the top dollar for latest and greatest so we scavengers can prowl Craigslist etc.😁

Used cars can be good, but buying one from a dealer usually means you are paying two or three times what the dealer paid for it.  Always have a trusted mechanic check a used car before buying.  Used computer components and computers can also be a good deal, unless there is a big markup.  Unlike cars, there usually are not easy to perform inspections of computer components, so buyer beware.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.