Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

Need your advice to choose a Reality XP Garmin

Hi all,

I like VOR and NDB navigation but not to "die stupid" as we say in french, I want to learn about GPS.

I'll get the Vertex Diamond DA62 (Sean Moloney) when it is released so I will be in position to learn the latest avionics with the G1000 PFD/GPS/Flight Planner... that will equip the plane by default if I understand correctly.

For the time being, I'm looking for a GPS for my A2A V35 and possibly other small G/A aircrafts in the future.

I made a choice: it will be a Reality XP.

I eliminate the GTN 750 because I'm sensitive to aesthetics and the 750 is too big for a small cockpit in my personal preference.

Remaining options:

• GTN 650
  • GNS 530 V2
  • GNS 430W V2

I am leaning towards a 430 or 530 because I find the last generation 650 way to "cluttered" and too many colors for the display... in the end hard to read?

I like the "legacy" 430 / 450 for their symbology and reduced number of colours.

If you own a Reality XP Garmin, I would appreciate your feedback and advice.

• Like 1

- TONY -

1 hour ago, Simicro said:

I find the last generation 650 way to "cluttered" and too many colors for the display.

1 hour ago, Simicro said:

I like the "legacy" 430 / 450 for their symbology and reduced number of colours.

Why the issues with colors?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I own both the GNS530/430 and the GTN750/650.

Older airplane cockpits are best equipped with GNS gauges which are appropriate to the age of the avionics in the cockpit.

However, if you have the choice, I would strongly recommend the GTN gauges!

This is what real aircraft owners install in their cockpits nowadays.

The GTN technology is so much better that it truly makes the GNS gauges appear like something from the past.

Personally, I have a GTN750 in my a2a Bonanza and love it.  It looks like it belongs there and gives me lots of valuable information in all stages of flight.

The GTN650 has a much smaller screen and as such is less useful.

I have one installed in my F33 Bonanza, but only because the 750 will not fit.

Hope this helps you in your deliberations :smile:

• Like 3

Bert

Hi Franck,

On the 430 and 450 colours are: black bacground and mainly blue, pink, green.

On the 650 there are many more colours but with more information I am aware. But sometimes too much info can "kill" the info. Please note: my personal preference, no offense intended to users who like the 650.

PS:Which XP Garmin do you use?

- TONY -

Hi Bert,

Thanks for your helpful comments and return on experience!

- TONY -

I did not want to bother you by asking for a screenshot but I thought about it so thanks!

I am wondering, are there options to change the colour code and to choose the information displayed on the moving map? Eg: don't show waypoints you are not using?

- TONY -

Yes, you can declutter the map in steps and you can turn off the terrain.

Send me a PM with your email address and I can send you some screenshots, if you are interested.

Bert

That is very much appreciated Bert, sending you a PM.

- TONY -

10 minutes ago, Simicro said:

PS:Which XP Garmin do you use?

If XP means RXP and not XPlane.  I use RXP GNS 430 and 530 in older aircraft models where as Bert P said they just go along with the aesthetics of those models better.  For both I use GNS v2 for the added functionality, lower use of resources, improved resolution, and much more up to date nav database.  Also the ability to import .fpl flight plan files from FltPlan.com and Skyvector,com. Good examples of aircraft I use them in would be the Milvix B55 Baron and Milviz C310 Redux.  . 

I use the RXP GTN series in more modern configured aircraft.  Good examples would be the Real Air Turbine Duke V2, my HondaJet HA420, the A2A Cessna 182, and Carenado models like the F406 Caravan II and their Baron 58.

Compared to the legacy series, the GNS v2 offers greater value.  With each GNS you purchase you get (2) two GNS gauges.  ex. 430_1 and 430_2.  Same for the 530v2.  With the Legacy GNS that functionality costs you more.  The RXP GTN models are also packaged as two gauges per model.

Wow! Just noticed this is my 3,000th post here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Oh guys, looks like you have the complete collection 😉

Bert: good idea, will try that. Please disregard my PM and save time. Too late maybe...

Franck: yes I meant RXP. Many thanks for sharing comprehensively your experience. The Bonanza V35 could be considered as a " older aircraft " I believe, so elegible for 430/450?

Last question if I may: having 2 gauges/GPS: the interest is you can display 2 differents things/pages on 2 screens?

And congrats for your 3000!

Oh the choice for me will be tough!

- TONY -

8 minutes ago, Simicro said:

Last question if I may: having 2 gauges/GPS: the interest is you can display 2 differents things/pages on 2 screens? 

There are more benefits to having two gauges per model  For example, I use my 430_1 and/or 530_1 to store flight plans that I would use for longer trips.  Usually in aircraft that fly higher and faster if they also have fuel capacity.  All of that otherwise known as range. Examples would be the Caravan II, Turbine Duke v2, and Cessna 310. 

I use 430_2 and/or 530_2 in aircraft that I use for shorter and perhaps sightseeing trips, and store appropriate flight plans in them. For Cessna 182, Mooney 201, Cessna 337, etc.

Another way to do similar would be if your simulation aircraft fly from distinctly different geographic regions.  Say for instance you are based in St. Louis, Missouri, but have a second base of operations in say Ft. Myers, Florida.  You could configure _1 into aircraft and store plans in  _1 for flights in or from the central USA, and use _2 for aircraft you use for flights in or from say the Florida gulf and Caribbean regions.

See the various flexibility?

By the Way, I do much the same with my GTN_1's and _2's.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

I see Bert. Thanks again for all! Enough of your time for me today 😉

- TONY -