Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

Need your advice to choose a Reality XP Garmin

I get it Franck. More displays but also more storage of flight plans of different kinds on each.

Many thanks to you too! Enough of your time on me for today 😉

- TONY -

23 minutes ago, Simicro said:

And congrats for your 3000!

Thanks.  I have been here since 1998 but had two long "leaves of absence" when my career and business demands kept me away from simulation, which I have embraced since 1982.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

So here is a different perspective on them. I own both and I have the 430/530 in my smaller GA airplanes that I fly for an hour or two with 1 maybe 2 nav aids. I love that you need to twist and turn dials and I have them mapped on my Saitek panels, so it feels realistic.  For the longer flights with more complicated airways, I use the GTN 750 as you can “program” it much faster. I don’t import flight plans, even though for both units you can. I like a bit of old school sometimes with the 430/530 units, but when you have to deal with complicated flight plans…no.

Depends on how you fly and what you are looking for.

But you cannot go wrong with neither.

Hope that helps you.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, kowen said:

But you cannot go wrong with neither.

Whoops!  Either!  LOL!

• Upvote 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi all, to inform you that I have narrowed down my choice to RXP GNS 430 or GTN 650. Now I need to make the final decision...

Edited by Simicro

- TONY -

Hi Tony,

Don’t know if it was mentioned - I think the GTN has a newer database - and the GTN has airways for IFR flight plans built in - the GNS does not... Makes it massively easier to enter an IFR flight plan... That said - I believe Little Nav Map can export to both units - so if you plan to use that method to input flight plan - the data entry aspect for airways isn’t really applicable... I’d suggest the GTN unless you really want old school - wish I had 13K to replace the GNS in my real plane...

The GNS interface is old, clunky, and not intuitive -  the GTN interface is the exact opposite...

Just make sure whatever plane you really want to see it in supports the same type of unit...

Just my two cents - take it for what it’s worth... 

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 3

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I'd still go gtn 750 no contest.  Putting that in a bonanza is a realistic addition.  I mean it's your money and all but why not get the best avionics?  The situational awareness / map is far better on the 750 and inputting flight plans is a lot easier and quicker.

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Scott and Ryan, your views and infos are appreciated!

I also watched more videos and I am now leaning towards modern avionics (to see how it's like to use it while I know already the GNS)... so the RXP GTN 650... for the Bonanza and in the future small GA AC. Because as a personal preference I like medium/small devices.

Thanks again guys.

Will post my final decision when it's done.

PS: Scott; what do you have GTN 650 or 750? I mean in P3D.

• Like 1

- TONY -

I have them all for what it's worth

In the flightsim world I believe the majority of add-ons support the gtn 750 natively (meaning 3d vc support).  However many were built for the F1 units so you'll have to mod the planes for full rxp use.  PM me for details

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks for your offer Ryan. I'll try to stay with aircrafts that support natively RXP for 3D VC. But in case I will PM you.

- TONY -

Bought the GTN 650. I'll give a feedback in a couple of days.

Thanks all!

- TONY -

1 hour ago, Simicro said:

Bought the GTN 650. I'll give a feedback in a couple of days.

Thanks all!

Ask for help when you need it, but please first read the user manual.  And you may need to read it multiple times and perform some trial-and-error to grasp all that it attempts to do to educate.  Read, then break it down a question or issue at a time for one aircraft at a time.  We enjoy helping, but as in golf, it's to be played one stroke at a time.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Hi Franck,

Thanks for your kind words and recommendations. Will comply! I'll start simple, with 1 aircraft (anyway I have only 2 aircrafts) and the basic features and will build up from there.

My first impressions:

I cannot refrain from saying that after a long absence with no addon purchase with a F1 wrapper, the system is still not user friendly, for buying, reinstalling... As usual with the F1 wrapper, things are made complicated for the regular user paying legally for the product. While with most addons sellers it's simpler and straightforward.

Now the good:

• Installation of the RXP GTN 650 was easy and flawless. When I turned on the device in the A2A Bonanza, all worked correctly on the 1st try
  • Aesthetically and technically, the size and integration of the GTN 650 to aircraft is just perfect for me
  • True that it is a bit hard to read (due to the size of the 650 vs 750), the digits are event smaller than the default avionics ones. So I set a special zoom view with the Chase Plane utility
  • True that most usual functions are 2 clicks away as said in the advertisement
  • Yesterday I only touched the surface of the software but feel it's quite usable and feature-rich
  • All in all, I am happy and feel I made the right compromise by choosing the RXP GTN 650

Off to the roard... err the sky to use the 650.

Thanks again to all mates who participated to this thread.

• Upvote 1

- TONY -