Sign in to follow this  
tomcatman24

P3dv4 cpu and gpu best match

Hi all,

I have a gpu question. I am flying on P3dv4 and have been almost since it came out. Currently, I am running an i7 4790k running at stock speeds with the turbo on (4.4 Ghz) and it is paired with a GTX 960. For the most part, this combo does well. However, for a while, I have been thinking about upgrading my graphics card. Two questions...

1) What do you think is the best graphics card to pair with an i7 4790k on p3dv4? 1060? 1070? 1080?

2) With that/those graphics cards, how much of a performance (frames/smoothness) increase would there be? I ask this mainly because even in scenery heavy places like around KSEA with Orbx PNW and Taxi2Gate KSEA, my cpu is maxed out while my gpu runs significantly lower than 100%. The place the gpu really kicks in is in heavy clouds, night lighting, etc... So, how much of a difference would upgrading the 960 make? Would I only see improvement in heavy weather, etc? Or would there be improvement everywhere?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

i5 12600K, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, MSI Z690 Pro-A WIFI Motherboard

13 minutes ago, tomcatman24 said:

Hi all,

I have a gpu question. I am flying on P3dv4 and have been almost since it came out. Currently, I am running an i7 4790k running at stock speeds with the turbo on (4.4 Ghz) and it is paired with a GTX 960. For the most part, this combo does well. However, for a while, I have been thinking about upgrading my graphics card. Two questions...

1) What do you think is the best graphics card to pair with an i7 4790k on p3dv4? 1060? 1070? 1080?

2) With that/those graphics cards, how much of a performance (frames/smoothness) increase would there be? I ask this mainly because even in scenery heavy places like around KSEA with Orbx PNW and Taxi2Gate KSEA, my cpu is maxed out while my gpu runs significantly lower than 100%. The place the gpu really kicks in is in heavy clouds, night lighting, etc... So, how much of a difference would upgrading the 960 make? Would I only see improvement in heavy weather, etc? Or would there be improvement everywhere?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

A lot of used 1080ti’s on the market.  

Matt Wilson

25 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

A lot of used 1080ti’s on the market.  

And no new stock at all. I'd be leery of used ti's though especially after the decline of the mining saga. Not sure how many "normally used" 1080ti's would be on the market as the new RTX prices are plain silly and people would hold on to old and gold (particularly as ray tracing has not yet been implemented on available software). The performance gain of a 2080ti over a 1080ti does not justify the added expense, in the eyes of most reviewers so far.

I've put my build plans on hold for the time being and will wait to see how this mess straightens itself out.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Try the i7-8700k and the GTX 1080ti (I have a GTX1070 so I recommend that also if the GTX 1080 TI is too expensive.)

Edited by arwasairl
  • Like 1

Aaron Kim

MOS 8502 @ 2Mhz, 512 KB 1750 Ram Expansion Unit, VIC-II E (40 columns mode), SID 6581 3-voice sound chip. 

그래요!! 

Have a 4790k also with a Evga Gtx 1080 SC and while in the Pmdg 737 taxi2gate Ksea Orbx PNW and OLC also running Active Sky Envtex Skyforce ASCA combination with UTLive with 50% airliner traffic and can get high 20’s to mid 30’s in VC and little higher FPS outside.  That’s at 4k with no AA. 

Kevin Humphryes

6 minutes ago, speedyTC said:

I've put my build plans on hold for the time being and will wait to see how this mess straightens itself out.

I too am waiting for a transformation of logic here. It use to be that we could just find sheer speed and go with all we could afford or max out the credit card. 🤑

Now the waters are so muddy. Just considering, one would think that 4-way SLI would be great and best in P3D, but so not true, 1 card is recommended by many, some say 2 way is great. That logic and conflict does not seem to make any sense at all. Some say more cores are better than higher clock speeds, and others differ. How different (older/newer) versions of P3D uses what is available today and how hardware is developed "ahead of its time" (lack of adequate cooling or need of additional cooling, lack of drivers that support features properly, lack of software that uses new tech.), makes for added confusion.

I was so used to buying a new "fastest" PC every 1 1/2 years but now I'm finding currently its best for me to wait a little longer, get reports, and go with a proven product - not necessarily the newest. 

Currently my Jetline PC is running P3D 4.3 excellently, or I would have had a new PC by now. We'll see what P3D5 requires.

I trust the hardware situation will get sorted and make more sense before too long, and when it does I will be calling Jetline.😊   

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, speedyTC said:

And no new stock at all. I'd be leery of used ti's though especially after the decline of the mining saga. Not sure how many "normally used" 1080ti's would be on the market as the new RTX prices are plain silly and people would hold on to old and gold (particularly as ray tracing has not yet been implemented on available software). The performance gain of a 2080ti over a 1080ti does not justify the added expense, in the eyes of most reviewers so far.

Ya the majority of 1080ti’s more then likely are mining cards.  The one I bought a few months ago was.  But it is still going strong in my SLI setup.  

Matt Wilson

the moral of the story, this time round hardware like cpu\gpu will not come down in price, expect to pay more for what you want in the future, times have changed dramatically

I'm using the GTX1060,upgraded from the GTX960 with the i7-4790K at 4.0ghz. I backed off slightly in all settings in P3Dv4.3, while running Active sky ASCA and Envtex, ORBX and many addons airports (used REX TD with SC before). With my setup I enjoy flights  of 12+ hours and do not have stutters or lags, really happy with my CPU/GPU combo. I also added a large air cooler/fan radiator on the CPU which keeps temps down.

The performance was quite noticeable upgrading the 960 to the 1060, so I would suggest anything higher than GTX1050 should reward you with better graphics/performance.

• Like 1

steve southey

New 1080ti still available in the UK. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Yeah, I was hoping card prices would come down since the 2080s, etc came out but that doesn't appear to be the case. I am also leery of buying a used graphics card since I don't know who had it or if they overclocked it or whatever they did to it.

This will be my flight sim computer for at least a few years yet, so I won't update the cpu, motherboard, etc. I figure the 960 is the weakest part of my system right now as far as flight sim goes, so that is the component I plan to upgrade at some point. And from a few of your responses, it sounds like it would make a difference even going to a 1060...

If you can find a 1070, that would actually be preferable to the 1060..

I may be biased, since I have one installed, but this is a very capable card for P3DV4.

• Like 1

Bert

Hi Folks,

I'm in the middle of my (7700K/GTX 1070 Ti) build right now... Yep - not the latest and greatest... I capped myself at $500.00 for a video card so I just picked up a 1070 Ti for about $460.00 - and that hurt - LOL... Yep - gone are the days of $350.00 video cards... I recall reading the 1070 Ti - was actually closer to a 1080 than the 1070 and the article seemed to think it provided good bang for the buck...

I don't have it running yet - but I bought the delid kit to crack the CPU for a better OC - we'll see how that goes...

It's replacing my (2700K/ GTX 970) build which still runs quite well with P3Dv4... I upgraded the video card over the life of this box from a GTX 570 - - - and found the performance increase was negligible - somewhat disappointing after incurring the expense...

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

My two-generations-removed former sim PC (now used for driving sims and FPS games) is a 4.5GHz 4790K with a pair of 980Ti GPUs in SLI.  Worked acceptably for P3Dv4...the two 980Ti cards performed roughly at-par with a single 1080Ti in P3Dv4, and are a good choice as long as you don't need the 1080Ti's 11GB of VRAM.  The 980Ti GPUs are 6GB boards--which is plenty for most, especially for 1080p/1440p monitors.

I'd guess there are lots of used 980Ti boards out there now.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks again for all your thoughts everyone. What I am hearing is there should be a fairly good increase in performance by going to a 1060 and even more by going to a 1070 and maybe even a 1070ti. Is a 1080 a little overkill for pairing with the i7-4790k? Finances will probably be the determining factor but I also don't want to short myself too much...

• Like 1