Sign in to follow this  
tomcatman24

P3dv4 cpu and gpu best match

Even for a simulator still depending mostly on the CPU single core speed, no GPU can be called "overkill". It is all depending on your settings. You can easily push a 2080Ti to its limits with P3Dv4.x (or any other software), even if it is paired with a fairly "old" 4790K running at 4.5GHz. Crank up AA, resolution and use full dynamic lightning and there goes the FPS down the drain. On the other hand, you can of course get totally acceptable results with a 1060. Personally, I would not call a 1080 or even a 2080Ti an "overkill" for Prepar3d v4.x, but of course the price vs. performance ratio decreases the more you pay for the GPU.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

22 hours ago, AnkH said:

Even for a simulator still depending mostly on the CPU single core speed, no GPU can be called "overkill". It is all depending on your settings. You can easily push a 2080Ti to its limits with P3Dv4.x (or any other software), even if it is paired with a fairly "old" 4790K running at 4.5GHz. Crank up AA, resolution and use full dynamic lightning and there goes the FPS down the drain. On the other hand, you can of course get totally acceptable results with a 1060. Personally, I would not call a 1080 or even a 2080Ti an "overkill" for Prepar3d v4.x, but of course the price vs. performance ratio decreases the more you pay for the GPU.

Very well said. Thanks!

i5 12600K, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, MSI Z690 Pro-A WIFI Motherboard

I didn’t get into Flight Simming to save money. And “Need” is a freeway exit I passsed years ago. Sell your Guns, spend your kids inheritance is what I suggest. 

I’m running a 8700k @5,1 ghz ( Silcon Lottery) w/ 1tb NMVe drive. 2 weeks ago after benchmarking my ZOTAC GTX1080ti in 3DMark TimeSpy (4k DX12j and Ultra Firestrike (4k DX11) I installed a nVidia RTX2080ti FE OC to +140mhz Core Clock, +525mhz Mem Clark, +123%/88degC PWR.

Bottom line in 4K: DX12=58% fps increase,  DX11(P3D) = 25% fps increase .  Both results using previous Benchmark software. 

In P3Dv4.3 with 75” 4K screen @ 30 hz. I set P3D to Vsync 3x buffering & Unlimited Framerate, which effectively locks me at 30fps. I am now able to move almost all the sliders “To the Right” ULTRA Settings with HDR & Dynamic Lighting on. The locked 30 fps rarely budges below and it looks like a new simulator. Rendering is visibly fast. 

Final suggestion on the cost. My ZOTAC GTX1080ti sold on e-bay for $650 which is 85% of what I paid for it 16 months ago. This effective leasing of video cards has worked for my past 4 cards. I effectively rented the GTX1080ti for $6.50/ month. I’m sure within 18 months or less some super new video card will be out and I’ll sell this RTX2080ti on e-bay as well.

Ego Bird

AAL2 COO

logo_130208.png

I have a 4790K as well and use it with a 1060, I must say I`m more than happy with it.

PMDG + LVFR KMIA+ ORBX+ Active Sky+ Sky Force it gives me around the mid 30`s reaching 40`s.

• Like 1

SIM: P3DV5.3 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz GPU: GTX1060 6GB  OS: Windows 10 64Bits RAM: XPG DDR3 1600 16GB (2x 8GB) Display: Samsung LC27JG50QQLXZX 27´