Sign in to follow this  

Just purchased the Gladiator MKII Joystick very nice design but in problems with calibration. I was reading the manual to find how to do calibration and it didn't help me. 

Anybody does know how to calibrate it in order to make it work as the Logitech Xtreme 3D Pro stick?

I am intended to use it with fs9, FSX, P3Dv4 and X-Plane 11 sims

Patricio Valdes

Hello Patricio,

I don't have a "Gladiator stick" but I do own a "Logitech E3DPro" this is how I calibrate outside the ingame settings (Win7 OS), it should work also for your Gladiator Stick (basically same for Win10). Ingame Controller settings will also allow access to the Controller Calibration wizard.

Open "Devices & Printers" from windows start menu, or OS ControlPanel locate "Devices & Printers" 
Locate your "Controller" ie; (Logitech E3DPro) or (Gladiator MKII) Highlight and right click the icon.
Select "Game Controller Settings" from the popup. A panel "Game Controller Settings" will open.
Hold down your CTRL+Shift  keyboard keys simultaneously, then... click on the "Properties" button.
A new panel will open "Game Controller Calibration" on its settings tab. Click the Calibration button and follow the instructions in the "wizard" till calibration is complete.
Of course you can open the Test tab to check the calibration is set. But please click the "Apply" button once finished then the OK button to close the panels.

Opening the "Game Controller Settings" panel without ("CTRL+ Shift" > Properties button) will only show the Controller Test panel.

Ingame Controller settings however: should open the Controller settings calibration panel.

Here's a few pics in sequence.

1.jpg

2.jpg

0.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Not forgetting the calibrations that the paid version of FSUIPC does.

Far more accurate than the default calibration settings. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

12 hours ago, Jethro said:

I don't have a "Gladiator stick" but I do own a "Logitech E3DPro" this is how I calibrate outside the ingame settings (Win7 OS), it should work also for your Gladiator Stick (basically same for Win10). Ingame Controller settings will also allow access to the Controller Calibration wizard.

OK.... I know where is the Calibration from Windows 10 and I get the calibration done. But, in the sim the joystick doesn't work as the Logitech. Example, the brakes works in Logitech and not working with Gladiator. I learned from somewhere in the web the Gladiator has a memory where is stored the commands. I think it has different commands than Logitech.

Purchased 100 bucks for Gladiator not ready to use as plug-and-play. Windows detects the joystick but the sim doesn't understand. Another example, I push the Throttle and the plane advances and if I reduce the speed the Throttle gets in backwards...... instead of speeding up it decrease..... a mess.

Patricio Valdes

10 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Not forgetting the calibrations that the paid version of FSUIPC does.

Far more accurate than the default calibration settings. 

I don't see FSUIPC in X-Plane 11.

I never had to deal with FSUIPC at all with fs9, FSX and P3Dv4 and all registered.

Patricio Valdes

I think there is an XPUIPC somewhere for X-Plane (never used it though).

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/149687-what-happened-to-xpuipc-download-sites/

http://fsacars.com/downloads/xpuipc/

Edited by Jude Bradley

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Hey trisho0,

Please do NOT use the Windows calibration to calibrate your Gladiator. I use a Gladiator MKII Pro with the MCG Pro grip, so I'm coming from experience.

You must use the utility provided by VKB to calibrate your joystick. The product page includes all the documentation and software required, available here: https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-sim-gladiator

If you are using the KG grip, you will need to download the WIZZO documentation and follow the directions for axis calibrations. You will need the WIZZO utility in order to do it. Don't worry, it's really easy to complete, and once it's done it's done forever unless you wipe the configuration from your Gladiator's onboard memory (which should never happen unless you are upgrading the firmware for a new grip such as the MCG).

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

3 hours ago, trisho0 said:

OK.... I know where is the Calibration from Windows 10 and I get the calibration done. But, in the sim the joystick doesn't work as the Logitech. Example, the brakes works in Logitech and not working with Gladiator. I learned from somewhere in the web the Gladiator has a memory where is stored the commands. I think it has different commands than Logitech.

Purchased 100 bucks for Gladiator not ready to use as plug-and-play. Windows detects the joystick but the sim doesn't understand. Another example, I push the Throttle and the plane advances and if I reduce the speed the Throttle gets in backwards...... instead of speeding up it decrease..... a mess.

I meant controlling the engine output. The Throttle is weird.

Patricio Valdes

16 minutes ago, pmanhart said:

Hey trisho0,

Please do NOT use the Windows calibration to calibrate your Gladiator. I use a Gladiator MKII Pro with the MCG Pro grip, so I'm coming from experience.

You must use the utility provided by VKB to calibrate your joystick. The product page includes all the documentation and software required, available here: https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-sim-gladiator

If you are using the KG grip, you will need to download the WIZZO documentation and follow the directions for axis calibrations. You will need the WIZZO utility in order to do it. Don't worry, it's really easy to complete, and once it's done it's done forever unless you wipe the configuration from your Gladiator's onboard memory (which should never happen unless you are upgrading the firmware for a new grip such as the MCG).

Hi Philip, thanks for your prompt advice. I couldn't complete the calibration anyway from windows cal. I gave up and canceled the calibration. So, the joystick still as it came from the box.

I purchase the Gladiator MKII Pro and I don't see if it is Pro or what. You mention "grip", what's that?

I am going to follow your directions and see what happen. If not success then easy solution..... place the Gladiator back to box for sleeping for ever and to plug back my working Logitech Xtreme 3D Pro. And sometime later I might try on Gladiator again (lol).

I purchased the Gladiator recently, less than a month so maybe is the same joystick as you have.

Edited by trisho0
correcting more

Patricio Valdes

Launched WIZZO to calibrate Gladiator. The program detected the joystick but I don't see if the front grip trigger is assigned for brakes or for something else. I am in the Mode 2 (Green LED). 

Patricio Valdes

1 minute ago, trisho0 said:

Launched WIZZO to calibrate Gladiator. The program detected the joystick but I don't see if the front grip trigger is assigned for brakes or for something else. I am in the Mode 2 (Green LED). 

Just follow the directions for the axis calibration, you can assign the joystick buttons through your simulator. Don't try assigning buttons in WIZZO, it gets really complicated (I think you may need a programmer's certificate to figure it out! 😀).

EDIT: From the manual:

To calibrate joystick axes do the following actions.
1. Push Start button.
NOTE: You will see flashing CALIBRATING indicator.
2. Move all axes to their extreme positions. Roll, Pitch, Yaw and Throttle (move the joystick around in circles through it's entire range, rotate the throttle back and forth through it's entire range)
3. Push Stop button to finish calibration.

Edited by pmanhart

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

17 minutes ago, pmanhart said:

Just follow the directions for the axis calibration, you can assign the joystick buttons through your simulator. Don't try assigning buttons in WIZZO, it gets really complicated (I think you may need a programmer's certificate to figure it out! 😀).

EDIT: From the manual:

To calibrate joystick axes do the following actions.
1. Push Start button.
NOTE: You will see flashing CALIBRATING indicator.
2. Move all axes to their extreme positions. Roll, Pitch, Yaw and Throttle (move the joystick around in circles through it's entire range, rotate the throttle back and forth through it's entire range)
3. Push Stop button to finish calibration.

The joystick came calibrated from factory. I don't think I need to re-calibrate.

I never needed to assign buttons from Logitech. Should I re-assign buttons in P3Dv4 anyway?

So far the Gladiator needs to go back to Rome and sleep in there (lol).

Simply I can use it. Many thanks for your help. Giving up and back to Logitech.

Patricio Valdes

I thought you needed to calibrate the axes?

I guess you just need to reassign the buttons... you can easily do this in each simulator.

13.jpg

27 minutes ago, pmanhart said:

I thought you needed to calibrate the axes?

I guess you just need to reassign the buttons... you can easily do this in each simulator.

According to the included manual by changing Mode red1 to green1 the grip trigger should apply brakes to the plane and it doesn't. Wizzo detects the trigger and it matches with the instructions manual. Then, why in none of the sims (fs9, FSX, P3Dv4.3 and X-Plane 11) it doesn't work the Brakes? Also, after Throttle up it reverses by itself. I can't use Gladiator.

Logitech is way more friendly.

From X-Plane 11 I do have little issue with Logitech which it doesn't release the brake after applied but lock it. I have to press brakes again to unlock. Maybe I have to select different option from settings.

Patricio Valdes

15 hours ago, trisho0 said:

According to the included manual by changing Mode red1 to green1 the grip trigger should apply brakes to the plane and it doesn't. Wizzo detects the trigger and it matches with the instructions manual. Then, why in none of the sims (fs9, FSX, P3Dv4.3 and X-Plane 11) it doesn't work the Brakes? Also, after Throttle up it reverses by itself. I can't use Gladiator.

I think you are confusing what the manual is describing. It's saying if you have the VKB pedals (which do not have a separate toe brake axis), you can use the joystick button as a way to mimic toe brake pedals.

As with ALL joysticks/yokes/etc. that don't have an automatic profile built into your simulator, you have to manually assign the commands to the joystick/yoke/etc. button.

13.jpg