Sign in to follow this  
QFA1213

"Cancel the Checklist" Sound loss & CTD

Hi byork,

Sorry in advance, I wasn't sure if it was better to make a new thread or revive one of the others.

I believe this is the same issue has the following threads:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been a user of FS2Crew for the PMDG NGX for around 4 years now (Across P3D and FSX). Due to other commitments, I haven't flown as much generally or the 737 specifically over the last six months or so.

A few days ago I reactivated FS2Crew and since have had issues with sound loss then later, CTD on all NGX flights. I had experienced this issue in the past but never regularly or consistently enough to really bother looking into it.

The sound loss appeared to be random during the flight, almost always in cruise. This sound loss is the same as in as in the threads above where the product continues to function and all commands work, however, no audio output occurs. If I fiddled with audio reset options or just generally other options the sim would eventually either lock up or crash (normally ntdll.dll).

After reading through the above threads I realised that cruise on almost all flights, a checklist was normally inadvertently started (95% of the time it was "descent" but also the NNC).

My response to any uncalled for checklists has always just been to call "cancel the checklist" straight away which matched the above descriptions. As it was during the cruise, I wasn't expecting a response from the F/O, so even if the audio disconnected, it was not immediately noticeable.

Tonight after doing a test flight and the same issue occurring I began to dig into the issue. My testing confirmed that it was indeed the phrase "cancel the checklist". Any time that phrase was used (during a checklist or not in a checklist), bar once on SOP 3 while the program was waiting for a user response, audio died.

I then found that calling it twice in a row resulted in a CTD without fail. Again independent of the checklist status.

This can be reproduced on my end by simply:

1. Start sim, load into NGX at any airport

2. Open FS2Crew panel

3. say "Cancel the checklist", pause, "Cancel the checklist"

4. The sim crashed, faulting module ntdll.dll.

Below is CVR log after the sim had crashed.

y4mISO_JxjbNiF7hyOMfFXLgtBNfW0Q2yrDdV0Sr

System Details:

Windows 10 Pro 1803 (17134.345)

Prepar3D V4.3

NGX: 1.20.8885

FS2Crew: V3.1

Spec Summary

CPU: i5-8600K

MOB: MSI Z370-A Pro

Ram: 8GB DDR 4

GPU: GTX 960 2GB

Things attempted during troubleshooting:

1. Toggle activation of FS2Crew in Control Panel

2. All 3 SOPs (Including calling checklist at different locations and phases as well as in combination with other checklist commands, i.e. pause, resume, restart, etc)

3. Turning off exclusive priority in sound settings

4. Turning off USB power setting

5. Testing with only one audio device active (As opposed to headset + speakers)

6. Uninstalled Realtek drivers and inbuilt windows drivers

7. Reinstalled Realtek drivers from MOB drivers page.

8. Reset FS2Crew audio

One more thing to note, this is a different Windows install and MOB/CPU to my previous regular FS2crew usage, however, I do remember the issue occuring prior to this (less regularly).

I'm really hoping this issue is reproducible for others as its clearly evident on my system.

Thanks

Brendan

Thanks for the detailed report.

I'll revisit the "Cancel the Checklist" voice command.  In fact, I'll probably just delete it that command since it's causing some users some troubles.

We'll release an update probably sooner rather than later.