Something that has occurred to me as I look into getting a high end yoke early next year...the better ones (like Yoko) have a more realistic physical range of elevator axis travel and thus you are going to have to sit significantly further away from the desk than if you were using a joystick for example. I'm now trying to visualise having sufficient room between myself and the yoke to allow full elevator axis control whilst also having my keyboard within easy reach. I guess one answer is to have the keyboard right along the edge of the desk just to the left or right of the yoke (and the mouse on the corresponding side). Another thing I thought of was investing in a basic instrument stack (such as the offerings from Logitech) to at least cover the most significant controls I would need to access during flight. Though that could get pretty expensive since there are a lot of controls that are "basic" ones.

What are people doing though in terms of this potential "desktop flying" ergonomic pitfall? Most of the videos I watch concentrate just on the yoke and throttle quadrant actions and don't really take into consideration all the other inputs required.

Hi-I had a Yoko (and now a Brunner) and did exactly what you suggested and it's worked well.  I extended my desktop using L-brackets mounted on the right hand side of the desk next to the yoke (I'm right handed) and screwed a 1X8 board about 24 inches wide to the top of the L-brackets.  My keyboard (84 keys short form)  is on top of the right hand side of this "shelf".  I screwed on a rigid mouse pad on the left side of the "shelf".  The keyboard's held down with 4 globs of "museum putty."  I've found this stuff the best for holding down a lot of equipment without having to drill holes in my desk.  Also, when you need to remove it, it comes off like a post-it note without leaving any residue.  Just search for it on Amazon or wherever.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

I have a small table I sit to my left and put my wireless keyboard there.  I have a Saitek (now Logitech) multi panel, which is primarily an autopilot controller, and a Pro Cessna Yoke with hat switches and buttons and whose throttle quadrant has additional two-way switches so I find I need few keystrokes.

I have considered a mini-keyboard about the size of a smart phone.  Here is one I am looking at and it is only in the $15.00 range.

https://smile.amazon.com/iPazzPort-Wireless-Handheld-Raspberry-KP-810-19S/dp/B01CE70TZC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1541516774&sr=8-10&keywords=mini+keyboard

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

XboxOnYokeKeyboard.thumb.jpg.c293b8bcacba5546b96a1c60c683bf6a.jpgI mounted a rolling keyboard tray under my desk … it's a small keyboard but full size keys.  I can push or pull it … it's on an adjustable arm so it can also be pushed down so I can slide it past the bracket that holds the yoko yoke to the table.  

I've also added a keyboard A/B switch so that the single keyboard can operate two computers.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: the keyboard is backlight type so I can see during my night flights

I have a cirrus yoke and have mounted a Rii to it. I also have another Rii just sitting around that I just grab when needed. The Rii doesn't do everything as it doesn't have a keypad, so I have a keyboard underneath... which I rarely touch.q Everything works great.

The cirrus joke just happens to have to screw holes on top so I could mount 2 L brackets to a cell phone holder. The Rii just slides into the holder. With another brand yoke, just improvise:)

https://imgur.com/a/IRzNkMU

https://imgur.com/a/FAWMzbj