Sign in to follow this  
JesC

A Newbie's Thought/Suggestion

Hello RXP,

A newcomer to the RXP GNS gauges, like many others, I am a little disappointed by the somewhat out of date data base used in the GNS simulations and the current lack of ability to achieve a practical update solution. I don't really know the exact age or what Airac Cycle they use but I am running into a lot of missing approaches and changed runway id's, etc. I know little to nothing about how all of this works, but I have been using fsaerodata for about a year to update the P3D nav database. It is an excellent product that updates airspace and runway numbers (even adding the new numbers onto the runway); as well as updating all approaches, SIDs and Stars,and airways and intersections. It works quite well in the default GPS's and therefore any addon aircraft that are tied to the default GPS.

I don't know how it might work or the feasibility of doing this, but was wondering if there may be a means in the future for the GTN units to utilize the P3D nav database which is updated or possibly even being able to directly access the fsaerodata updates. Or, maybe even a Reality XP collaboration or licensing agreement with fsaerodata?

This may be way off base or an even ridiculously impossible idea but I thought it worth throwing out there to offer as a possibility to consider.

Thanks for listening and thanks for the fantastic GNSv2 products.

Jesse

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

I don't believe the problem is with RealityXP at all, I believe that Garmin won't allow their software to be updated unless you buy the extremely expensive subscription updates that they offer to real pilots from their website.

The Garmin GNS Trainer uses Garmin/Jeppesen real world navdata (only).

So you are stuck with finding someone (hint) who might have some expired navdata lying around somewhere, or a real world Garmin GNS owner who is willing to share..

• Like 2

Bert

29 minutes ago, signmanbob said:

I don't believe the problem is with RealityXP at all, I believe that Garmin won't allow their software to be updated unless you buy the extremely expensive subscription updates that they offer to real pilots from their website.

I guess that makes sense to me. I wondered why Reality XP wouldn't have had a solution for this already.

19 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

The Garmin GNS Trainer uses Garmin/Jeppesen real world navdata (only).

So you are stuck with finding someone (hint) who might have some expired navdata lying around somewhere, or a real world Garmin GNS owner who is willing to share..

Hi Bert. That sounds like a great tip. I think I just may happen to know someone like that. 😉

Jesse Cochran

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Hi,

Just like I've already said in the forum, when we're done releasing our Garmin devices, I'll personally take a closer look at this. I have a few creative ideas I'd like to explore but I just don't have enough time in a single day!

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

56 minutes ago, RXP said:

Hi,

Just like I've already said in the forum, when we're done releasing our Garmin devices, I'll personally take a closer look at this. I have a few creative ideas I'd like to explore but I just don't have enough time in a single day!

Thanks for taking an interest. I recognize that there must be a great deal on your schedule. I, as a newbie, just wanted to share my thoughts and a possible suggestion for your creative thoughts.

It's a great product and I am really enjoying the addition to my simulator. Your support is very appreciated.

Thank you,

Jesse

• Upvote 1

Jesse Cochran