Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Train Sim World: Long Island Railroad

Only thing i am annoyed with regarding their products is that they focus too much on Germany-UK sceneries. Barely nothing for say, Spain, Italy, France too. Or more exotic routes. I can understand on one point the limitations of the old engine, but for the new one it should be pretty possibile.

Also i think they really do need to pull the plug on TrainSim 2019 and focus on the new one. But i guess they still receive a lot of money from it so they don't want to abandon it yet.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

10 hours ago, france89 said:

Only thing i am annoyed with regarding their products is that they focus too much on Germany-UK sceneries. Barely nothing for say, Spain, Italy, France too. Or more exotic routes. I can understand on one point the limitations of the old engine, but for the new one it should be pretty possibile.

Also i think they really do need to pull the plug on TrainSim 2019 and focus on the new one. But i guess they still receive a lot of money from it so they don't want to abandon it yet.

TrainSim allows 3rd party development, CSX does not have 3rd party development. I much prefer the TSW Unreal Engine but since DTG is keeping development in house so we won't see too much from them as far as new routes go. 3rd party is great for innovation as they can go outside the box with ideas and really push an engine with creativity, in-house means they are following company standards instead of going outside the box with ideas, and not enough people to produce that many new routes. This is unfortunate.

Matthew Kane

10 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

TrainSim allows 3rd party development, CSX does not have 3rd party development. I much prefer the TSW Unreal Engine but since DTG is keeping development in house so we won't see too much from them as far as new routes go. 3rd party is great for innovation as they can go outside the box with ideas and really push an engine with creativity, in-house means they are following company standards instead of going outside the box with ideas, and not enough people to produce that many new routes. This is unfortunate.

On TrainSim there aren't many routes from the mentioned  countries. Sure, there are some free routes from it but usually they aren't on par quality wise, or lack sceneries, or you need to go download tons of assets which are comfortably downloaded with one click on Steam instead. 

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

On 11/7/2018 at 7:40 PM, dmarques69 said:

Love trains and of course simulators but unfortunately dovetails cant make a good score imo, i have train simulator 2019(upgrades every year) and the game is very poorly optimized, this one, from what i read is just made from the other's core, and the money grab policy that this guys have is just disgusting imo again, making a cheap short base game and then tons of payed addons, last count i made in the price of all dlc's for TS was more cheaper to buy a real train. Not one cent comes out from my pocket for them.

If you look at the two screenshots I posted of CSX Heavy Haul, you can see it's getting pretty decent frame rates (47 and 52 fps for those two screenshots), so it seems fairly well optimised to me. I think most flight simmers would be happy to have graphics that pretty running at 50 fps.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

For some reason, the CSX type trains hold fairly little interest for me. Maybe if I was more into switching and stuff that would change a bit, but my real love has always been the commuter trains.

As a kid, I just had this fascination for the pantograph trains in particular, and the whole complex network of overhead lines, paralleling the highway as my grandfather sped us around while I practically pressed my face against the window for a glimpse of a metroliner actually using those lines.

I was particularly struck by how they tracks and the highway seemed intertwined, and even when the tracks swerved onto a different course and disappeared for a bit, I knew they would always eventually intersect us again.

Of course, as I said, the actual destinations in America turned out to be fairly mundane, but across the water, trains can still take you to exotic destinations, and somewhere out there the descendants of the Orient express still run......

Maybe DTG understands me somehow, as the Ruhr Sieg Nord release and now the LIRR line practically have my name on them.

I got Flight sim World out of curiosity. But Trainsim is nearly a necessity even if I don't use it nearly as much. It has a place in the ol' heart.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hi Folks,

Yeah - the new CSX/BNSF/UP massive conglomerates hold little interest for me - modern freights have bland brown boxcars - with a few different roads - with tiny lettering - that all looks the same to me... Gone are all those beautiful colorful billboard boxcars - proudly advertising the myriad of local roads from far flung corners of the country - something that could truly capture the imagination of a kid sitting trackside as a train goes by... Part of my interest is probably nostalgic even though I wasn't around for the steam era [by a long shot]...

I realize I'm in a small niche of the community - as those mega modern diesel lashups with impossibly long efficient trains - or - high speed rail passenger trains zipping travelers to their destination - seem to be in vogue as that's where all the payware developers focus... That's why I build many of my own models...

This is about as modern as I go - dirty gritty railroading performed by hard men... Love this picture - saved it ages ago...

6011.1258770421.jpg

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

This gives me an idea for a future adventure... The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. 🙂

I've been there once, and decided I must come back with more time to truly explore the exhibits.

23 minutes ago, Oracle427 said:

The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. 🙂

Been there! Right after a famous old Steam engine passed through the town. Then we also went to the horseshoe curve to watch the trains pass back and forth. If you make a horn tooting movement to the engineers they will blow their horns......

And obviously I purchased the route for Trainsim.....

I went to see this train go by, and it just made me grin.....  I admit me and a bunch of other people, some of them (like me)  purported to be adults, jumped up and down and yelled like kids.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Strange........

I could have sworn the original release date and end of the sale was on the 15th, but instead, they have finally released a video of the route in motion today, and an ad that announces release on the 20th.........

Devons rig

It's out now

Devons rig

I've ran a bunch of trainsimulators over the years and all of them I drove with my CH HOTAS setup. Never with the keyboard. Keyboard is too hard to give tiny inputs to the throttle and reverser on steam engines, compared to using a programmable stick. You can make hit each notch with a flightstick button whereas the keyboard will keep cycling the notches on the throttle or reverser way too fast no matter how slow you set the keyboard repeats in Windows Control panel.

Everything is so much easier using flight controllers to run trains!! Including looking around with a hat switch instead of scrolling a mouse.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.