HiFlyer

Train Sim World: Long Island Railroad

The only caveat I have is Dovetails apparently new policy of offering these things for sale essentially sight unseen, with no videos of the thing in action, only a few glossy stills. Feels a bit shady, to me. 

They did this with the Ruhr Sieg Nord release as well, which was just short of a stealth launch, I felt. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/577354/Train_Sim_World_Long_Island_Rail_Road_New_York__Hicksville_Route_AddOn/

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/long-islands-electric-workhorse

Written by: Gary Dolzall.

More than 800 strong, the Long Island Rail Road Bombardier M7 is soon coming to Train Sim World!

Pre-Order the Long Island Rail Road: New York - Hicksville route for Train Sim World on Windows PC and save 20%.

The Long Island Rail Road is soon coming to Train Sim World, initially to Windows PC – and the featured equipment with be LIRR’s remarkable electric workhorse, the Bombardier M7 EMU.

ss_1a67007af49734168fedeb959fc18cb9ebe6d

ss_a943eb00dc6cc20132c73f9c2a8fe5fc09697

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Topic was hidden and I have brought it back for discussion.

• Like 1

I'm not a train buff and don't even do train simulators but this is kind of appealing because I am from Long Island and spent 10 years commuting from Long Beach to Penn Station 5 days a week. I would love to see how detailed the Long Beach branch and Jamaica Station is. 

50 minutes ago, RyInTheSky said:

I'm not a train buff and don't even do train simulators but this is kind of appealing because I am from Long Island and spent 10 years commuting from Long Beach to Penn Station 5 days a week. I would love to see how detailed the Long Beach branch and Jamaica Station is. 

I just like trains in general. When I saw the tracks stretching into the distance as a kid, my mind was always drawn to mysterious, possibly exotic faraway places. Same with planes flying overhead.

Only with trains, at least in the US, You grow up and find out it's just long island, or someplace equally boring........ 😋

Yet somehow the appeal remains.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Yeah - I guess I'm into trains and planes - first five years of my life were spent in a home adjacent to the tracks of the LIRR in Floral Park - - - my Mom said I was mesmerized every time a train went by - LOL and there were a lot -  that said - Dovetail doesn't have the best reputation in the TS community - they are known for flash not substance on their products... ORTS is the best thing going for trains - albeit not as pretty as TSW - especially for my niche of building steam locomotives...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

1 hour ago, scottb613 said:

Dovetail doesn't have the best reputation in the TS community - they are known for flash not substance on their products...

True, but CSX Heavy Haul is nevertheless an amazing bit of work. Just look at these screenshots I took in it the other day:

DOGB1n0.png

2G5i2Tl.png

• Like 3

Hi Alan,

Yep - concur - fantastic set of shots and unsurpassed graphics - - - no argument - - - drool worthy actually - - - but it's the physics and operations that I'm most interested in...

ORTS needs a better game engine...

Some of my better shots from ORTS - can't compare - the PRR boxcar is my own model...

xm4gmb.jpg

nqcqpc.jpg

2eknbra.jpg

A steam locomotive I built - just for grins:

24l68gl.jpg

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 1

Its strange..... I've always felt my love of Planes and love of trains were two sides of the same coin. You even have trainwatchers, the same as plane watchers, and I could be either.

43 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

A steam locomotive I built - just for grins:

I could never do that, I just don't have that particular brand of patience.

5 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Its strange..... I've always felt my love of Planes and love of trains were two sides of the same coin. You even have trainwatchers, the same as plane watchers, and I could be either.

I could never do that, I just don't have that particular brand of patience.

Yep - I've been jumping between the two sides of the fence for many years...

Hah - yeah - you nailed it - it's more patience and tenacity than actual skill...

:tongue:

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

I haven't switched to CSX.  I'm still running TS 19, and happy with it. A lot of people here run train sims, and racing sims, and truck sims.

Thanks for putting this thread back!

Sue

This looks good, train sims have always been a nice change of scenery from Flight Sim over the years. I also drive the trucks and have enjoyed the American Truck Sim

Love trains and of course simulators but unfortunately dovetails cant make a good score imo, i have train simulator 2019(upgrades every year) and the game is very poorly optimized, this one, from what i read is just made from the other's core, and the money grab policy that this guys have is just disgusting imo again, making a cheap short base game and then tons of payed addons, last count i made in the price of all dlc's for TS was more cheaper to buy a real train. Not one cent comes out from my pocket for them.

1 hour ago, dmarques69 said:

this one, from what i read is just made from the other's core,

I don't think so, it's actually a complete makeover on the unreal engine I believe, and is honestly very fast and smooth, as well as looking very nice.

2 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Love trains and of course simulators but unfortunately dovetails cant make a good score imo, i have train simulator 2019(upgrades every year) and the game is very poorly optimized, this one, from what i read is just made from the other's core, and the money grab policy that this guys have is just disgusting imo again, making a cheap short base game and then tons of payed addons, last count i made in the price of all dlc's for TS was more cheaper to buy a real train. Not one cent comes out from my pocket for them.

If you find CSX on sale it is worth picking up, a different engine means you can walk around and interact with quite a lot. Performs extremely well compared to other sims in general. This one they got mostly right, it is missing other elements like cars, trucks and people outside of the rail corridor which would have made the world more realistic

I'm both a plane and train sim guy.

When I get Windows 7 and my new SSD installed on Friday my MSTS is coming out of the closet.

I used to pick a CP route in the Canadian Rockies or in California and drive a train one way and then switch to the flight sim and fly the same route in reverse.

My favorite was the Bakersfield to Mojave route over Tehachapi Pass.

I'd pretend I had a plane to pick up at Mojave and drive the train southbound and then fly the plane back to Bakersfield.

Noel

Edited by birdguy

Only thing i am annoyed with regarding their products is that they focus too much on Germany-UK sceneries. Barely nothing for say, Spain, Italy, France too. Or more exotic routes. I can understand on one point the limitations of the old engine, but for the new one it should be pretty possibile.

Also i think they really do need to pull the plug on TrainSim 2019 and focus on the new one. But i guess they still receive a lot of money from it so they don't want to abandon it yet.

10 hours ago, france89 said:

Only thing i am annoyed with regarding their products is that they focus too much on Germany-UK sceneries. Barely nothing for say, Spain, Italy, France too. Or more exotic routes. I can understand on one point the limitations of the old engine, but for the new one it should be pretty possibile.

Also i think they really do need to pull the plug on TrainSim 2019 and focus on the new one. But i guess they still receive a lot of money from it so they don't want to abandon it yet.

TrainSim allows 3rd party development, CSX does not have 3rd party development. I much prefer the TSW Unreal Engine but since DTG is keeping development in house so we won't see too much from them as far as new routes go. 3rd party is great for innovation as they can go outside the box with ideas and really push an engine with creativity, in-house means they are following company standards instead of going outside the box with ideas, and not enough people to produce that many new routes. This is unfortunate.

10 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

TrainSim allows 3rd party development, CSX does not have 3rd party development. I much prefer the TSW Unreal Engine but since DTG is keeping development in house so we won't see too much from them as far as new routes go. 3rd party is great for innovation as they can go outside the box with ideas and really push an engine with creativity, in-house means they are following company standards instead of going outside the box with ideas, and not enough people to produce that many new routes. This is unfortunate.

On TrainSim there aren't many routes from the mentioned  countries. Sure, there are some free routes from it but usually they aren't on par quality wise, or lack sceneries, or you need to go download tons of assets which are comfortably downloaded with one click on Steam instead. 

On 11/7/2018 at 7:40 PM, dmarques69 said:

If you look at the two screenshots I posted of CSX Heavy Haul, you can see it's getting pretty decent frame rates (47 and 52 fps for those two screenshots), so it seems fairly well optimised to me. I think most flight simmers would be happy to have graphics that pretty running at 50 fps.

For some reason, the CSX type trains hold fairly little interest for me. Maybe if I was more into switching and stuff that would change a bit, but my real love has always been the commuter trains.

As a kid, I just had this fascination for the pantograph trains in particular, and the whole complex network of overhead lines, paralleling the highway as my grandfather sped us around while I practically pressed my face against the window for a glimpse of a metroliner actually using those lines.

I was particularly struck by how they tracks and the highway seemed intertwined, and even when the tracks swerved onto a different course and disappeared for a bit, I knew they would always eventually intersect us again.

Of course, as I said, the actual destinations in America turned out to be fairly mundane, but across the water, trains can still take you to exotic destinations, and somewhere out there the descendants of the Orient express still run......

Maybe DTG understands me somehow, as the Ruhr Sieg Nord release and now the LIRR line practically have my name on them.

I got Flight sim World out of curiosity. But Trainsim is nearly a necessity even if I don't use it nearly as much. It has a place in the ol' heart.

Hi Folks,

Yeah - the new CSX/BNSF/UP massive conglomerates hold little interest for me - modern freights have bland brown boxcars - with a few different roads - with tiny lettering - that all looks the same to me... Gone are all those beautiful colorful billboard boxcars - proudly advertising the myriad of local roads from far flung corners of the country - something that could truly capture the imagination of a kid sitting trackside as a train goes by... Part of my interest is probably nostalgic even though I wasn't around for the steam era [by a long shot]...

I realize I'm in a small niche of the community - as those mega modern diesel lashups with impossibly long efficient trains - or - high speed rail passenger trains zipping travelers to their destination - seem to be in vogue as that's where all the payware developers focus... That's why I build many of my own models...

This is about as modern as I go - dirty gritty railroading performed by hard men... Love this picture - saved it ages ago...

6011.1258770421.jpg

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Upvote 1

This gives me an idea for a future adventure... The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. 🙂

I've been there once, and decided I must come back with more time to truly explore the exhibits.

23 minutes ago, Oracle427 said:

The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. 🙂

Been there! Right after a famous old Steam engine passed through the town. Then we also went to the horseshoe curve to watch the trains pass back and forth. If you make a horn tooting movement to the engineers they will blow their horns......

And obviously I purchased the route for Trainsim.....

I went to see this train go by, and it just made me grin.....  I admit me and a bunch of other people, some of them (like me)  purported to be adults, jumped up and down and yelled like kids.

Strange........

I could have sworn the original release date and end of the sale was on the 15th, but instead, they have finally released a video of the route in motion today, and an ad that announces release on the 20th.........