Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Train Sim World: Long Island Railroad

The only caveat I have is Dovetails apparently new policy of offering these things for sale essentially sight unseen, with no videos of the thing in action, only a few glossy stills. Feels a bit shady, to me. 

They did this with the Ruhr Sieg Nord release as well, which was just short of a stealth launch, I felt. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/577354/Train_Sim_World_Long_Island_Rail_Road_New_York__Hicksville_Route_AddOn/

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/long-islands-electric-workhorse

Written by: Gary Dolzall.

More than 800 strong, the Long Island Rail Road Bombardier M7 is soon coming to Train Sim World!

Pre-Order the Long Island Rail Road: New York - Hicksville route for Train Sim World on Windows PC and save 20%.

The Long Island Rail Road is soon coming to Train Sim World, initially to Windows PC – and the featured equipment with be LIRR’s remarkable electric workhorse, the Bombardier M7 EMU.

ss_1a67007af49734168fedeb959fc18cb9ebe6d

ss_a943eb00dc6cc20132c73f9c2a8fe5fc09697

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Topic was hidden and I have brought it back for discussion.

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm not a train buff and don't even do train simulators but this is kind of appealing because I am from Long Island and spent 10 years commuting from Long Beach to Penn Station 5 days a week. I would love to see how detailed the Long Beach branch and Jamaica Station is. 

50 minutes ago, RyInTheSky said:

I'm not a train buff and don't even do train simulators but this is kind of appealing because I am from Long Island and spent 10 years commuting from Long Beach to Penn Station 5 days a week. I would love to see how detailed the Long Beach branch and Jamaica Station is. 

I just like trains in general. When I saw the tracks stretching into the distance as a kid, my mind was always drawn to mysterious, possibly exotic faraway places. Same with planes flying overhead.

Only with trains, at least in the US, You grow up and find out it's just long island, or someplace equally boring........ 😋

Yet somehow the appeal remains.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hi Folks,

Yeah - I guess I'm into trains and planes - first five years of my life were spent in a home adjacent to the tracks of the LIRR in Floral Park - - - my Mom said I was mesmerized every time a train went by - LOL and there were a lot -  that said - Dovetail doesn't have the best reputation in the TS community - they are known for flash not substance on their products... ORTS is the best thing going for trains - albeit not as pretty as TSW - especially for my niche of building steam locomotives...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

1 hour ago, scottb613 said:

Dovetail doesn't have the best reputation in the TS community - they are known for flash not substance on their products...

True, but CSX Heavy Haul is nevertheless an amazing bit of work. Just look at these screenshots I took in it the other day:

DOGB1n0.png

2G5i2Tl.png

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi Alan,

Yep - concur - fantastic set of shots and unsurpassed graphics - - - no argument - - - drool worthy actually - - - but it's the physics and operations that I'm most interested in...

ORTS needs a better game engine...

Some of my better shots from ORTS - can't compare - the PRR boxcar is my own model...

xm4gmb.jpg

nqcqpc.jpg

2eknbra.jpg

A steam locomotive I built - just for grins:

24l68gl.jpg

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 1

Its strange..... I've always felt my love of Planes and love of trains were two sides of the same coin. You even have trainwatchers, the same as plane watchers, and I could be either.

43 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

A steam locomotive I built - just for grins:

I could never do that, I just don't have that particular brand of patience.

Devons rig

5 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Its strange..... I've always felt my love of Planes and love of trains were two sides of the same coin. You even have trainwatchers, the same as plane watchers, and I could be either.

I could never do that, I just don't have that particular brand of patience.

Yep - I've been jumping between the two sides of the fence for many years...

Hah - yeah - you nailed it - it's more patience and tenacity than actual skill...

:tongue:

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

I haven't switched to CSX.  I'm still running TS 19, and happy with it. A lot of people here run train sims, and racing sims, and truck sims.

Thanks for putting this thread back!

Sue

This looks good, train sims have always been a nice change of scenery from Flight Sim over the years. I also drive the trucks and have enjoyed the American Truck Sim

Matthew Kane

Love trains and of course simulators but unfortunately dovetails cant make a good score imo, i have train simulator 2019(upgrades every year) and the game is very poorly optimized, this one, from what i read is just made from the other's core, and the money grab policy that this guys have is just disgusting imo again, making a cheap short base game and then tons of payed addons, last count i made in the price of all dlc's for TS was more cheaper to buy a real train. Not one cent comes out from my pocket for them.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

1 hour ago, dmarques69 said:

this one, from what i read is just made from the other's core,

I don't think so, it's actually a complete makeover on the unreal engine I believe, and is honestly very fast and smooth, as well as looking very nice.

Devons rig

2 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Love trains and of course simulators but unfortunately dovetails cant make a good score imo, i have train simulator 2019(upgrades every year) and the game is very poorly optimized, this one, from what i read is just made from the other's core, and the money grab policy that this guys have is just disgusting imo again, making a cheap short base game and then tons of payed addons, last count i made in the price of all dlc's for TS was more cheaper to buy a real train. Not one cent comes out from my pocket for them.

If you find CSX on sale it is worth picking up, a different engine means you can walk around and interact with quite a lot. Performs extremely well compared to other sims in general. This one they got mostly right, it is missing other elements like cars, trucks and people outside of the rail corridor which would have made the world more realistic

Matthew Kane

I'm both a plane and train sim guy.

When I get Windows 7 and my new SSD installed on Friday my MSTS is coming out of the closet.

I used to pick a CP route in the Canadian Rockies or in California and drive a train one way and then switch to the flight sim and fly the same route in reverse.

My favorite was the Bakersfield to Mojave route over Tehachapi Pass.

I'd pretend I had a plane to pick up at Mojave and drive the train southbound and then fly the plane back to Bakersfield.

Noel

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.