Sign in to follow this  
Trumpet1

i7-8700K or GTX 1070? Which upgrade first for FPS?

Hi. Which purchase will give me the most improvement in FPS? I am running P3Dv4 on a two-screen i5-4690K (default 3.5GHz) with a GTX 760. I average around 20 FPS with the F1 Cessna Mustang (a bit higher with other aircraft) and Orbx regional scenery.  Thanks - Dave

FPS is usually CPU bound, especially at 3.5 GHz.

Your video card will matter most in heavy weather and possibly also your two screen situation.. that one I do not know.. 2 GB VRAM... What is the memory utilization like on your current video card??

Bert

I'm not much of hardware guru.  But I'm not sure one alone is going to net you with the kinda increase you want. Even if it's temporary.  But I think your best bet would be to get a really good CPU heatsink of some kind and overclock that CPU. You're gonna want a good cooler for the 8700K anyways. Runs a tad warm.  Then get your new video card.  I had a 4700K and a 1080ti for a few months and worked pretty decent. Was some definite improvement.  I'd probably also wait for the 9th gen processors. I think they are coming out default with a better thermal compound.  

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

You'll need to see if your GPU or CPU is at 100%.  Try userbenchmark.com as a start.

My guess is that your 4690k, particularly if you're willing to try some overclocking, would support a better GPU, and that would get you some significant FPS increase.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

2 hours ago, Trumpet1 said:

There you have me. I don’t know how to tell.  

Get a copy of (free) GPU-Z.

Bert

Overclock the i5 and get a new graphics card, 1060 6gb or 1070

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

With a GTX760, a 1070 would be my bet. Your CPU can handle the simulator nicely.

Keep in mind that the Mustang is a framerate hog, even with my hardware it's noticeably the worst addon i have performance-wise.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Thanks for all the advice.  To recap, benchmark, overclock, upgrade the video card.  And fly a different jet.

I have an i7-8700K running at 5GHz. I also run two GTX 970 cards pushing a 1080p projector a 1920 x 1080 touch screen monitor with the instruments run in VC only mode. I have a USN Elo 10" touch screen that runs Garmin 750 & 650 and a VGA FMC screen that only shows the Win 10 Logo.

Using GPU-Z, I have never seen the two cards go over 60% or use more than 3GB of memory each. Note: I fly with fair skies and puffy clouds. I have never tested them in IMC. I fly everything from GA to Bus jets and military jets. No airliners. For scenery, I either use MegaScenery V3 or Orbx.

Now what this means to you, I haven't the foggiest. 🙂 I guess I think for most people the super GPU cards are overkill, unless they are running 4K.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

58 minutes ago, jmig said:

I have an i7-8700K running at 5GHz. I also run two GTX 970 cards pushing a 1080p projector a 1920 x 1080 touch screen monitor with the instruments run in VC only mode. I have a USN Elo 10" touch screen that runs Garmin 750 & 650 and a VGA FMC screen that only shows the Win 10 Logo.

Using GPU-Z, I have never seen the two cards go over 60% or use more than 3GB of memory each. Note: I fly with fair skies and puffy clouds. I have never tested them in IMC. I fly everything from GA to Bus jets and military jets. No airliners. For scenery, I either use MegaScenery V3 or Orbx.

Now what this means to you, I haven't the foggiest. 🙂 I guess I think for most people the super GPU cards are overkill, unless they are running 4K.

The 760 only has 2 GB of VRAM... :unsure:

Bert

Depends on what new GPU you have in mind...  If you are looking for a 1070, go with the GPU first. Increased  amount of VRAM will help in P3Dv4.

If you are looking at the new RTX2080, go with the CPU first because your old CPU will not be able to feed 100% of the 2080.

Mike

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:56 PM, Bert Pieke said:

Get a copy of (free) GPU-Z.

Did.  And GPU max is 100% but average is around 55%.

2 minutes ago, Trumpet1 said:

Did.  And GPU max is 100% but average is around 55%.

Is that GPU utilization, or memory usage..which is typically measured in MB.

Bert