Sign in to follow this  
1290SASRider

Sizing of expanded components on a widescreen display

I run Prepar3D stretched across three monitors in 7680 x 1440 resolution.  It makes for an immersive experience.  When I click displays to expand them they initially display in a size and ratio commensurate with a non-widescreen display and I have to resize them to be more realistic and not take up so much real estate.  I then position them in areas where they're not too obtrusive.  Finally once I have everything where I want it I save the panel state.

When I restart the simulation and load the panel state the expanded items show where I've repositioned them but they revert to their non-resized size and I have to resize them again.  Is it possible to overcome this and save both location and size?

The picture depicts one CDU before resizing and the other CDU afterward.  Obviously having both properly sized is what I'm going for.

Thanks for any feedback!

https://imgur.com/a/eRejbhJ

Edited by 1290SASRider

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

1 hour ago, 1290SASRider said:

Is it possible to overcome this and save both location and size?

Location? That would have to be set as part of the flight save, I believe.

Size? Somewhat. Have a look at the panel folder inside the 777 aircraft folder in SimObjects. There should be several in there with different aspect ratios and screen setups.

Kyle Rodgers

I solved this by modifying the panel.cfg for the plane. 

Assuming the height of the pop-up is ok, then you have only to worry about the with of the window and its position from the left edge of your left monitor. These are the two figures to change for each pop-up in the panel.cfg.

The panel.cfg is located in the airplane folder. For the FSLabs A320, the path looks like (but depend where you installed each airplanes);

ex c:\Users.......etc......\simobjects\Airplanes\FSLabs A320 IAE\Panel\panel.cfg

Then you can copy 2 lines to keep the old settings in notes.

The window size line as the name imply control the width on screen. All you have to do is divide the first digit that control width by 3. Example for the MCDU pop-up of the A320:

//window_size= 0.234375, 0.643056 (putting the slashes put this original line in comment so you can have the original line if you need it).

window_size=0.061, 0.485 (this is my new setting, as i wanted to scale down the size a bit, i divided the first figure by about 4 instead of 3. I also reduced the second number to keep the proportion).

The second line to look at is window_pos

//window_pos= 0, 0 (original developpers position which means leftmost and top)

window_pos=.256, 0.5 (this my new position, the .256 means the pop-up will start at 25.6% of the total horizontal span of your 3 screens measured from left. The 0.5 means the top of the window start at half the screen height. Of course you have to select those values so the entire pop-up stay on screen).

I made an Excel calculator to expedite the calculations for my differents aircrafts.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

9 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Location? That would have to be set as part of the flight save, I believe.

Size? Somewhat. Have a look at the panel folder inside the 777 aircraft folder in SimObjects. There should be several in there with different aspect ratios and screen setups.

Thanks, Kyle...I'll look at that.

5 hours ago, kama2004 said:

I solved this by modifying the panel.cfg for the plane. 

Assuming the height of the pop-up is ok, then you have only to worry about the with of the window and its position from the left edge of your left monitor. These are the two figures to change for each pop-up in the panel.cfg.

The panel.cfg is located in the airplane folder. For the FSLabs A320, the path looks like (but depend where you installed each airplanes);

ex c:\Users.......etc......\simobjects\Airplanes\FSLabs A320 IAE\Panel\panel.cfg

Then you can copy 2 lines to keep the old settings in notes.

The window size line as the name imply control the width on screen. All you have to do is divide the first digit that control width by 3. Example for the MCDU pop-up of the A320:

//window_size= 0.234375, 0.643056 (putting the slashes put this original line in comment so you can have the original line if you need it).

window_size=0.061, 0.485 (this is my new setting, as i wanted to scale down the size a bit, i divided the first figure by about 4 instead of 3. I also reduced the second number to keep the proportion).

The second line to look at is window_pos

//window_pos= 0, 0 (original developpers position which means leftmost and top)

window_pos=.256, 0.5 (this my new position, the .256 means the pop-up will start at 25.6% of the total horizontal span of your 3 screens measured from left. The 0.5 means the top of the window start at half the screen height. Of course you have to select those values so the entire pop-up stay on screen).

I made an Excel calculator to expedite the calculations for my differents aircrafts.

Thanks Pierre. I'm out on the road for a week in the early a.m. but will try that when I return!

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals