Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

i9-9900k vs i7-8086k for P3D?

I'm picking up next week a new desktop machine with the 9900k, MSI 2080, Z390, m.2 drives etc. When I finally get P3d rebuilt I'll try to remember to post how P3d performs.Interestingly the 9900k was within $100 +/- Cdn of the 8086, 8700, 9700. The 2080 was under $1000 Cdn. I got lucky with good pricing and jumped on pieces when I found a price i liked.

Dave

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dbw1 said:

Interestingly the 9900k was within $100 +/- Cdn of the 8086, 8700, 9700. The 2080 was under $1000 Cdn. I got lucky with good pricing and jumped on pieces when I found a price i liked.

Nice!!  Congrats on the new build and prices you paid!!  No doubt you'll like how the system performs with P3D.

Greg

On 11/8/2018 at 7:36 PM, w6kd said:

When the time comes, create a streamlined Win 10 installation on a thumb drive (16GB or better), which will load Win 10 with all the updates.  See https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support  It works a lot better than the USB stick that comes with Win 10, and you avoid having to wait for Windows to download and install several year's worth of updates.

Too hot for me.  80 deg C is where I draw the line.

No you don't.  The point is that with P3Dv4 you CAN make that investment and scale your performance up.  Of course, past a point it is definitely not a linear relationship between price and performance.  It never is, though.  With FSX, there's a point beyond which a faster CPU/GPU, more RAM/VRAM, etc makes virtually no difference.  Put 32 GB of RAM in you FSX rig, and it still will only use 4.  If you have the resources and interest, you can pump up the hardware and really make P3D rock and roll...but going to the super high-performance end is definitely not required to enjoy the sim.  Sorta like it's fun to drive a stock '69 Corvette, but a LOT more fun with a high lift cam, a couple turbochargers, a Hurst shifter etc.

Regards

Running my I9-990KF (not the K but KF) at 45c - 55C at 5.0 ghz all cores in P3D 😎 prime 95 with AVX 75 - 80 C 🙂 without 65c - 75c

Edited by awf

André