Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Another Lion Air incident

Lion Air Boeing 737-900 smashes wing into a lamp-post taxy-ing to runway at Fatmawati airport, Indonesia. Wing damaged, pax delayed 4 hours as transferred to another aircraft.

Basic airmanship appears to be lacking in that airline.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Difficult to tell from video footage of that Lion Air collision why it was so far over to the left of the taxiway centreline; it does look like a case of pretty poor skills from somebody, but it's not necessarily the pilots.

For example, check this one out: This one was ATC's fault, they told the CRJ to hold at a point which is for aircraft waiting to cross the taxiway behind it, not for holding at after having crossed the taxiway, since doing that leaves their tail still overhanging the taxiway behind the aeroplane, and then this happens...

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Also the infamous BA 747 in S.A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oijW_m7gtLU

"Lucky" it was at the end it's service life and was about to be scrapped anyway. 

Edited by Jude Bradley

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Difficult to tell from video footage of that Lion Air collision why it was so far over to the left of the taxiway centreline; it does look like a case of pretty poor skills from somebody, but it's not necessarily the pilots.

For example, check this one out: This one was ATC's fault, they told the CRJ to hold at a point which is for aircraft waiting to cross the taxiway behind it, not for holding at after having crossed the taxiway, since doing that leaves their tail still overhanging the taxiway behind the aeroplane, and then this happens...

Wow, just like a toy!

Jude Bradley

@Jude Bradley Are Lionair still pay to fly?

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

As far as I know, yes. They are still licenced.

Jude Bradley

Yeah but pay to fly usually means pilots that only just scrapped through their licence and couldn't get a paid job anywhere, so need to offer their services for free in order to hour build. Not exactly reassuring.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

31 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

Wow, just like a toy!

That video is sped up. But it is still like a toy.

4 minutes ago, vc10man said:

FlyBe Dash Q400-8 500ft plummet pilot error in January, findings just out

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46137445

I've done that on the sim - It's idiotic to have the alt-sel in such a place and so easy to miss.

Jude Bradley

Agreed, the joys of a common type rating eh? Every other airliner I've ever flown automatically engages ALT SEL whenever you select a new vertical mode. It also whispers to you about ice by silently changing some text on a display, rather than a proper master caution.

support1.jpg

1 hour ago, vc10man said:

FlyBe Dash Q400-8 500ft plummet pilot error in January, findings just out

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46137445

1 hour ago, Jude Bradley said:

I've done that on the sim - It's idiotic to have the alt-sel in such a place and so easy to miss.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5bc73322ed915d0b0349a662/DHC-8-402_Dash_8_G-ECOE_11-18.pdf

So easy...Page 6 and 7 explains the system but I am not sure if I understand the design logic. I understand(?) ALT SEL is not working like ALT HOLD in Boeing, but then why do you need ALT mode if ALT SEL is also able to maintain the selected altitude?

Q400 experts?

Ahmet Can

On 11/8/2018 at 3:37 AM, Chock said:

So THAT'S what happened to me the other night!   There I was, sitting in my CRJ9, ready to taxi out, and crashhunbmaboom.   All of the sudden I spin around.  Am I in slew mode, I ask?  Clipped by a Monarch A321.  Wait!  There is no Monarch anymore I said.  How can this be I said.  Ah, undone by my outdated UTL install, says I.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB