Sign in to follow this  
Gary_Hayes

8bit looking textures at night

14 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Wow - that doesn't bode well for me...

Don't panic.. we are still trying to understand the cause.

S.

Edited by simbol
  • Like 1

Yes this was an absolute uninstall and a very clean reinstall everything was completely removed. This is the strange thing I had the pmdg 747 on the runway and turned on the landing lights and all exterior lighting at night time, went into spot View and I noticed there was banding....it did not look as bad as it did before so I close the Sim and restarted.  I went right back into the same exact scenario and the banding was absolutely horrible this time I didn't touch anything so somehow it made itself worse just by restarting the SIM. 

Gary Hayes

My Youtube

No i'm not a "real" pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

6 minutes ago, Gary_Hayes said:

Yes this was an absolute uninstall and a very clean reinstall everything was completely removed. This is the strange thing I had the pmdg 747 on the runway and turned on the landing lights and all exterior lighting at night time, went into spot View and I noticed there was banding....it did not look as bad as it did before so I close the Sim and restarted.  I went right back into the same exact scenario and the banding was absolutely horrible this time I didn't touch anything so somehow it made itself worse just by restarting the SIM. 

Gary,

The Prepard3d.cfg files have a lot graphics settings that do not get deleted by you removing P3D and installing it again as it is located in (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Roaming ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v4 

This file can also influence how your local shaders will be compiled, explaining why upon restarting the sim, things remain wrong.

My advise:

1. Make a copy of this file, and delete it, location is (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Roaming ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v4 
  2. Be sure to delete all the shaders located in (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D ►  Shaders
  3. Before starting P3D, check you have the latest Nvidia drivers, if not, download and install them with the option of "clean install"
  4. Restart your PC.
  5. Open P3D, load a default scenery and default airplane.
  6. Close P3D.
  7. Re-Open P3D, load a default scenery and default airplane, verify the textures. if all ok, then load the PMDG, etc.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Regards,
Simbol

14 minutes ago, Gary_Hayes said:

I went right back into the same exact scenario and the banding was absolutely horrible this time I didn't touch anything so somehow it made itself worse just by restarting the SIM.

Have you checked NCP settings, make sure color space is set to FULL and not Limited?  Has anything changed in regards to your Monitor/TV?

Cheers, Rob.

I, too, have been having texture issues at night, but it is limited to some default textures and the Drzewiecki Design addons. Take a look at my screenshots below:

Default MMMX:

43980908130_ae70c35e32_b.jpgPrepar3D Screenshot 2018.11.09 - 09.50.27.75 by Ben, on Flickr

DD Miami City X:

45747902022_d5cbeb8567_b.jpgPrepar3D Screenshot 2018.11.09 - 09.53.25.96 by Ben, on Flickr

After reading this topic, I am wondering, could this be caused by the 'Optimize Old Textures' feature on ENVTEX? The reason I suspect this is that DD is one of the only addons that installs within the P3D directory. I have tried deleting the Shaders folder before and reinstalling DD Miami City X before and it did not fix the problem. Anyone know of a way to undo the 'Optimize Old Textures' in ENVTEX?

Ben

Edited by bbain1187

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

9 minutes ago, bbain1187 said:

I am wondering, could this be caused by the 'Optimize Old Textures' feature on ENVTEX? The reason I suspect this is that DD is one of the only addons that installs within the P3D directory. I have tried deleting the Shaders folder before and reinstalling DD Miami City X before and it did not fix the problem. Anyone know of a way to undo the 'Optimize Old Textures' in ENVTEX?

You could ask the developer of this add-on.

But I have a couple of beta testers having issues with one my products due to ENVTEX, I wonder if it is related to this setting of 'Optimize Old Textures' too.

S.

Edited by simbol

that's what I was trying to explain I did a complete uninstall meaning removing the six prepare3D folders in addition to uninstall in the game everything was absolutely gone even clean the registry afterwards. then did a complete reinstall and checked the game each time I installed a new product and everything was fine honestly and then all of a sudden poof it just happened on its own I didn't change anything. so I thought to myself well it's there but not quite as bad so I put tomatoshade back on, then it showed up extremely bad so that told me that tomato shade is just bringing it out more at night time but looks great at daytime. So right now I went in and remove tomatoshade turned off HDR lighting and remove reflections, the result is the banding is there but barely noticeable at all almost like it was in the default. So honestly I think it has always been there I just have never noticed it until I applied the tomatoeshade which enhanced it more or brought out the "ugly" in the Sim LOL.  I have been doing a lot of Google searches and it turns out that possibly this has nothing to do with the simulator or anything. So I decided to try something out and I started X-Plane 11, wouldn't you know it banding exist there as well at night time. 

Gary Hayes

My Youtube

2 hours ago, Gary_Hayes said:

So I decided to try something out and I started X-Plane 11, wouldn't you know it banding exist there as well at night time.

Adds to why I suggested checking NCP color output since that will apply globally.  Assuming of course you are running nVidia hardware based on your screenshots?

Cheers, Rob.

29 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Adds to why I suggested checking NCP color output since that will apply globally.  Assuming of course you are running nVidia hardware based on your screenshots?

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Where is this setting - video card ?

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

18 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Where is this setting - video card ?

Yes, in the nVidia Control Panel.  Then along the left side click on "Change Resolution".  In the main window scroll down to "3. Apply the Following Settings", then make sure "Output Color Format" is set to "RGB".  Then you can change "Output Dynamic Range" to "Full".

Greg

• Like 1

Ok I activated this earlier when you told me to so without tomato it does look slightly better I will have to try it with tomato tonight to see. To be honest though I am quite happy with how things look now so I might just leave it as is and not touch anything else. Right now I am flying to Dallas on vatsim holding steady at 60 frames per second so I really honestly don't want to break it anymore. 

Edited by Gary_Hayes
  • Like 1

Gary Hayes

My Youtube

39 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Yes, in the nVidia Control Panel.  Then along the left side click on "Change Resolution".  In the main window scroll down to "3. Apply the Following Settings", then make sure "Output Color Format" is set to "RGB".  Then you can change "Output Dynamic Range" to "Full".

Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks so much - I’ll check mine...

Regards,

Scott

Depends on how you connect to your monitor, HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI-D ... right click desktop

NCPOption1.jpg.263fd00caefafc31e24c798484a2e998.jpg

DVI will look like this (make sure 32bit is selected):

NCP_DVI.jpg.c94a26e56b2d3fc2428f8c997e73bf0b.jpg

HDMI or DisplayPort (older version NCP but same basic area/idea):

NCP_HDMI.thumb.jpg.3a743321e7266dd81402aa6d1c6ec1d6.jpg

In addition, some monitors need to be setup to support HDR or put into a mode that supports RGB.  All TVs support YCbCr444/422/420 (or variant).  For gaming you can use either RGB or YCbCr ... just make sure you can select FULL Dynamic Range.  Also, some monitors and/or GPU's will not support FULL dynamic range above 30hz ... so check your TV/Monitor specs.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Thanks as well - recently replaced monitor - old DVI - new DP...

I’ll check my settings...

It’s just odd only night textures are degraded...

Regards,

Scott

Mine are doing the same thing. I have been following the thread to see if anyone can spread some insight on what exactly is happening.  

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing