Sign in to follow this  
Gizmo05

How to get the correct Departure Runway ?

3 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

NDA's, made by the devil 😎

Nothing to do with NDA's.

Go to the LM request forums, and also check under the LM developers forums, look for posts I have made in the past 12 months, then read the public available SDK and you will pleasantly find that many of my requests to improve the SDK functionalities are now available.

All these were made via public request available for everyone.

I have said this many times,  LM developers do listen and support all 3rd party content developers providers, I meet them personally in Vegas this year, their level of support and professionalism is one of the best I have seem in my 25+ years of IT experience.

Let's put it this way, I am relatively new in this industry and you can see clearly in public domain how they supported my questions and suggestions, it is the same with many other experienced content providers.

As long as you request something that makes sense there is no reason for it to be rejected or ignored, it doesn't matter if it has a military purpose or not.

I am just doing my 2 cents.

Regards

Simbol 

• Like 5

Nobody is disagreeing with "How The Sim Works".  The problem is, it doesn't work like the real world.  Which is totally ridiculous when you are trying to use "real world weather".

Case in point:  Many, many real world multiple runway airports have "Preferred Runway Configurations" used in calm wind conditions.  FS9, FSX, and now P3D STILL disregard anything like that because if the wind is less than a certain speed, the sim will simply choose the LOWEST NUMBER RUNWAY(s).  Always.  This happens all the time for KLAS.  Unless the winds reach a minimum speed out here, the 19's and 26's are going to be used.  Doesn't matter if the "calm" wind is coming out of the east in the real world.  But in the sim with a 3 knot wind from 090, you are getting sent to the 1's and 8's.  And every AI airplane in the sim will go there too.  That is totally stupid if I am using a state-of-the-art real world weather addon that injects real-world winds into the sim of less than about 8 knots.  Heck...I'm using the weather addon so I DON'T have to screw around injecting my own winds to begin with, and to create a REAL world environment and experience.  It doesn't happen.  And it's a $200 simulator.

And as an aside, KLAX does use the 6's and 7's...EVERY DAY.  They are the REQUIRED late night/early morning runways unless the prevailing winds absolutely, positively prevent airplanes from using them.  All due to noise restriction rules in the local area.  And many other major airports do the same thing in "calm wind" conditions at night.  Tailwind takeoffs and landings are common in calm wind conditions.

The real problem is what people are asking for in this thread...the ability for the sim user to CHOOSE TO SET their own runways for use...does not exist in the sim.  And it should, to avoid the issues above.  C'mon.  Our flight sim is third generation (FS9/FSX/P3D) and almost 20 years old.  Please don't tell me some intelligent programmer wouldn't be able to include the ability by now to allow a sim user to say, "Well, because of the winds my real world weather program injected into the sim, I want to use the 19's and 26's for KLAS now...like in the real world".  Then once we set those runways, the AI would (should?) be sent to them too.

Making me "fudge" the real world injected winds to get the real world runways in use is absurd for todays simulation technology.  Let me PICK the runways in use when I know the ones the sim is selecting are stupid. 

EDIT:  Simbol and I cross-posted.  So consider my post a "request" if it will help resolve a 20-year old "problem" of our flight simulator.

Edited by FalconAF
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Rick Ryan

24 minutes ago, FalconAF said:

So consider my post a "request" if it will help resolve a 20-year old "problem" of our flight simulator.

As I said initially, we will see what we can do about this.. :wink:

Regards,
S.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FalconAF said:

LOWEST NUMBER RUNWAY(s). 

Making me "fudge" the real world injected winds to get the real world runways in use is absurd for todays simulation technology.  Let me PICK the runways in use when I know the ones the sim is selecting are stupid. 

It uses the default runway as configured in the airports, NOT the lowest number.

No-one's making you fudge anything. The way the sim works is by injecting the weather like it or lump it - it's a sim. In the real world the ATC responds to the weather - so does the sim ATC.

The sim has no facility to select what runway we want. If it did it might have to have features like " allow me to land with the wind rather than into " stuff like that. And there's no reason not to do that. So maybe it will come.

In the meantime what I do all the time works fine. Interpret what weather is going to hit the sim and make your plan accordingly, just like real life. What else can be said.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...of course we could always wait for a day when  the weather causes ATC to select the runway we desire. SInce it's a sim, wind the clock forward to that day now and set the weather so that we can fly the runway. That's not fudging it. That's called *using the simulator to simulate flying*.

Edited by SteveW

2 hours ago, FalconAF said:

Nobody is disagreeing with "How The Sim Works".  The problem is, it doesn't work like the real world.  Which is totally ridiculous when you are trying to use "real world weather".

Case in point:  Many, many real world multiple runway airports have "Preferred Runway Configurations" used in calm wind conditions.  FS9, FSX, and now P3D STILL disregard anything like that because if the wind is less than a certain speed, the sim will simply choose the LOWEST NUMBER RUNWAY(s).  Always.  This happens all the time for KLAS.  Unless the winds reach a minimum speed out here, the 19's and 26's are going to be used.  Doesn't matter if the "calm" wind is coming out of the east in the real world.  But in the sim with a 3 knot wind from 090, you are getting sent to the 1's and 8's.  And every AI airplane in the sim will go there too.  That is totally stupid if I am using a state-of-the-art real world weather addon that injects real-world winds into the sim of less than about 8 knots.  Heck...I'm using the weather addon so I DON'T have to screw around injecting my own winds to begin with, and to create a REAL world environment and experience.  It doesn't happen.  And it's a $200 simulator.

And as an aside, KLAX does use the 6's and 7's...EVERY DAY.  They are the REQUIRED late night/early morning runways unless the prevailing winds absolutely, positively prevent airplanes from using them.  All due to noise restriction rules in the local area.  And many other major airports do the same thing in "calm wind" conditions at night.  Tailwind takeoffs and landings are common in calm wind conditions.

The real problem is what people are asking for in this thread...the ability for the sim user to CHOOSE TO SET their own runways for use...does not exist in the sim.  And it should, to avoid the issues above.  C'mon.  Our flight sim is third generation (FS9/FSX/P3D) and almost 20 years old.  Please don't tell me some intelligent programmer wouldn't be able to include the ability by now to allow a sim user to say, "Well, because of the winds my real world weather program injected into the sim, I want to use the 19's and 26's for KLAS now...like in the real world".  Then once we set those runways, the AI would (should?) be sent to them too.

EDIT:  Simbol and I cross-posted.  So consider my post a "request" if it will help resolve a 20-year old "problem" of our flight simulator.

Some years ago (FSX times) I experimented a lot with AFCADS using ADE or AFX (from Flight1). If I remember correctly, there were some discussions that the order of runways as they are listed in the AFCADS may also influence which runway is preferred under low wind conditions. Some very good contributions in this field were from Jim Vile (not sure if the name is correct).

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

2 hours ago, simbol said:

As I said initially, we will see what we can do about this.. :wink:

Regards,
S.

I've never lost faith in you man, I gave up on asking you about the status of that project you're working on but I am hoping it is progressing? 

• Like 3

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

11 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

I've never lost faith in you man, I gave up on asking you about the status of that project you're working on but I am hoping it is progressing? 

Slowly.. but we (planning to expand operations) will work on it full time as soon as my first payware is out (so I can have funds and expand), don't worry.

S.

11 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

I've never lost faith in you man,

I'm pretty confident Mr S. will deliver the goods, he's got the full-blooded passion to complete.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, simbol said:

as soon as my first payware is out

Deliver (payware) so we can start to deliver (💲💲😎

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

1 minute ago, JoeFackel said:

Deliver (payware) so we can start to deliver (💲💲😎

Working on it.. ask my Beta team.. some of them are even texting me telling me to please go to sleep lol.

S.

Edited by simbol
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A bit of trivia.  At KDFW the landing direction is actually determined by the landing direction at KDAL.  At PANC the landing direction is almost always on the "7s" and departing on "33".

What I have done to get realism with my AI traffic is use Real Traffic along with PSXseecon (see AVSIG forums).  

Grace and Peace, 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

I fly with clear skies and zero wind, and P3D always selects the correct runways to use (depending on the chosen wind direction). The only problems I encounter are when the software refuses to accept the landing/take off settings in the AFD file. Thankfully, this is rare at the airports that I visit in P3D (generally the UK and Ireland, but also a handful of other airports in Europe), but one that is causing me a problem at the moment is FlyTampa Copenhagen. No matter what I do, if I set up a circuit of the airport by departing on runway 22R, and then entering a right pattern....I am always directed to land on runway 22R by ATC, even though I have the landing set up in the FMC for 22L. Most of the AI planes seem to land on 22L, and I have the runways set up correctly in the AFD file. Most of the AI planes land on 22L, so ATC is well aware that it is used for landings :dry:

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

22 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I fly

Looks nice the new Beta Test badge Chris! I bet FS Reborn are happy as pigs-in- with you on board.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The thing is - it doesn't matter how correctly the airport data structures are made, or how good the airport is made,  what counts is the situation presented to the ATC algorithm.

Chris finds it works OK but I can understand there's lots of situation whereby it might come out unreliably. I've not pulled anyone up on this, commented on a quote that's very interesting and not wrong or something like that.

Felt some have been trying to show me the door on this subject and that's not going to happen. Remember I do actually provide successful product in this arena and have personal interest in the subject.